Quantcast

Next release of GNU Free Fonts with Open Type MATH support?

Next release of GNU Free Fonts with Open Type MATH support?

Frédéric WANG
Hi,

Someone recently asked me to add GNU FreeSerif to the list of default
fonts for my MathML font settings addon [1]. It turns out that,
according to the changelog, a MATH table was added in November 2013 ;
which means that it can be used for the MathML rendering in Gecko >= 31
[2]. This is great news since GNU FreeSerif seems to be
available/preinstalled in most Linux distributions and so that would
avoid the need for users to manually install math font [3]. However, the
latest release of GNU FreeSerif was in 2012, which leads to the
following question: when will the next version of GNU FreeSerif be released?

Thanks,

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mathml-font-settings/
[2] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/31.0/releasenotes/
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/MathML_Project/Fonts

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic

Re: Next release of GNU Free Fonts with Open Type MATH support?

Raniere Silva
Hi Frédéric,

> Someone recently asked me to add GNU FreeSerif to the list of default
> fonts for my MathML font settings addon [1]. It turns out that,
> according to the changelog, a MATH table was added in November 2013 ;
> which means that it can be used for the MathML rendering in Gecko >= 31
> [2]. This is great news since GNU FreeSerif seems to be
> available/preinstalled in most Linux distributions and so that would
> avoid the need for users to manually install math font [3].

Amazing news. =)

> However, the
> latest release of GNU FreeSerif was in 2012, which leads to the
> following question: when will the next version of GNU FreeSerif be released?

Can we contact GUN FreeSerif maintainer?
This week I need a new release for one project manager by John MacFarlane
and he was very comprehensive about that.

Cheers,
Raniere

Re: Next release of GNU Free Fonts with Open Type MATH support?

Frédéric WANG
> Can we contact GUN FreeSerif maintainer?

My initial message was to the GNU FreeFont mailing list, so hopefully
we'll get a reply soon.