Newsgroups

Popcorn-2
Is this the only news group that can be used for the Thunderbird mail
client?  I can't seem to find one that is active for questions and answers.
thanks

Re: Newsgroups

JM-43
Popcorn wrote:
> Is this the only news group that can be used for the Thunderbird mail
> client?  I can't seem to find one that is active for questions and answers.
> thanks
Use the mozilla.support.thunderbird group for Thunderbird questions.

Re: Newsgroups

Daniel-257
JM wrote:
> Popcorn wrote:
>> Is this the only news group that can be used for the Thunderbird mail
>> client?  I can't seem to find one that is active for questions and
>> answers.
>> thanks
> Use the mozilla.support.thunderbird group for Thunderbird questions.

JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!

Daniel

Re: Newsgroups

Annailís
Daniel wrote:

> JM wrote:
>> Popcorn wrote:
>>> Is this the only news group that can be used for the Thunderbird mail
>>> client? I can't seem to find one that is active for questions and
>>> answers.
>>> thanks
>> Use the mozilla.support.thunderbird group for Thunderbird questions.
>
> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>
> Daniel

Hmmm, "Idol chatter"?  Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus
Torvald, or whomever our "idol" is?  But not Bill Gates...?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
Annailís

Re: Newsgroups

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 8/15/2009 9:08 AM, Annailís wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> JM wrote:
>>> Use the mozilla.support.thunderbird group for Thunderbird questions.
>>
>> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dang nab it! You beat me to it!

Irwin

Re: Newsgroups

Ron Hunter
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 8/15/2009 9:08 AM, Annailís wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
>> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>

> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>
> Irwin

I thought he was talking about religion...  Or maybe talent contests.

Re: Newsgroups

PhillipJones
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 8/15/2009 9:08 AM, Annail�s wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>>
>>> JM�s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
>> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>

> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>
> Irwin

How about Billy Idol?

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

Re: Newsgroups

squaredancer
On 15.08.2009 18:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Annailís to
generate the following:? :

> Daniel wrote:
>
>> JM wrote:

>>> Use the mozilla.support.thunderbird group for Thunderbird questions.
>>>
>> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"?  Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus
> Torvald, or whomever our "idol" is?  But not Bill Gates...?
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

hey, Miss Canada... we could run a chat on the merits of Newfoundland
Potatoes...

reg

Re: Newsgroups

squaredancer
On 16.08.2009 05:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip Jones
to generate the following:? :

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
>>> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>>

>> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>>
>> Irwin
>>

> How about Billy Idol?

knew a kid at school - he was nicknamed Idle Billy...

reg

Re: Newsgroups

Annailís
Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 8/15/2009 9:08 AM, Annailís wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>>
>>> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
>> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>

> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>
> Irwin

That's almost as good as the "duel boot" systems or "waiting with
baited breath", for a spelling slip.  Homophones are the bane of
English-speakers' existence.

--
Annailís

Re: Newsgroups

Annailís
squaredancer wrote:

> On 15.08.2009 18:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Annailís to
> generate the following:? :
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> JM´s right, Popcorn, m.s.thunderbird for the real assistance with
>>> TB....this group is really just for idol chatter!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus
>> Torvald, or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>
> hey, Miss Canada... we could run a chat on the merits of Newfoundland
> Potatoes...
>
> reg

While I'm sure Newfoundland produces fine potatoes, I think
P.E.I. and New Brunswick are the eastern provinces more known for
their potato(e)s.  Personally I prefer the Yukon golds, which of
course didn't originate in the Yukon.

--
Annailís

Re: Newsgroups

Jay Garcia

Re: Newsgroups

Ron Hunter
Annailís wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus Torvald,
>>> or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>>
>> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>>
>> Irwin
>>
> That's almost as good as the "duel boot" systems or "waiting with
> baited breath", for a spelling slip.  Homophones are the bane of
> English-speakers' existence.

I'll say!  If you read fanfiction, you will come to understand the depth
of misunderstanding homophones generate both with those who are native
English speakers, and with those trying to write in English, as a second
language.  It drives me crazy(er).

Re: Newsgroups

Ron Hunter
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 16.08.2009 05:04, squaredancer wrote:

Nope, just old.

Re: Newsgroups

Annailís
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Annailís wrote:
>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>>>
>>> Irwin
>>>
>> That's almost as good as the "duel boot" systems or "waiting with
>> baited breath", for a spelling slip. Homophones are the bane of
>> English-speakers' existence.
>>
> I'll say! If you read fanfiction, you will come to understand the depth
> of misunderstanding homophones generate both with those who are native
> English speakers, and with those trying to write in English, as a second
> language. It drives me crazy(er).

Heck, I can't keep up with "regular" fiction let alone
"fanfiction".  A really good dictionary is always handy to have
when writing English.

--
Annailís

Re: Newsgroups

Ron Hunter
Annailís wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Annailís wrote:

>>> That's almost as good as the "duel boot" systems or "waiting with
>>> baited breath", for a spelling slip. Homophones are the bane of
>>> English-speakers' existence.
>>>
>> I'll say! If you read fanfiction, you will come to understand the depth
>> of misunderstanding homophones generate both with those who are native
>> English speakers, and with those trying to write in English, as a second
>> language. It drives me crazy(er).
>
> Heck, I can't keep up with "regular" fiction let alone
> "fanfiction".  A really good dictionary is always handy to have
> when writing English.

What really bugs me is when a writer uses a word incorrectly, and
correctly, in the same sentence.  It makes me wonder if they know, and
just did it wrong, or if they just aren't sure, so they are using it
both ways.

Re: Newsgroups

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 16.08.2009 05:04, squaredancer wrote:

Actually That correct for Plural of Potato

what Mr Quayle, did was despite the little kid in classroom spelling
Potato correctly, he corrected the kid twice that it was supposed to
have an "e" on the end. When it clearly wasn't. The teacher told the the
child wrongly to go ahead and put it their for the VP.

What she should have done was told Quayle, MR VP you are incorrect, the
only time and e is added is when a s follows to make plural. But, she
was prime and proper and had to explain for a week or more afterwards
(most likely) that he was incorrect, and I had you do it to not
embarrass the Vice President. Sometimes, you have to bite your tongue
and let someone make a fool of themselves.

It is:

Potato - Potatoes
Tomato - Tomatoes

Phillip Jones wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 16.08.2009 05:04, squaredancer wrote:

                                        ^^^^^
ARRRGGGG!

> What she should have done was told Quayle, MR VP you are incorrect, the
> only time and e is added is when a s follows to make plural. But, she
> was prime and proper and had to explain for a week or more afterwards
> (most likely) that he was incorrect, and I had you do it to not
> embarrass the Vice President. Sometimes, you have to bite your tongue
> and let someone make a fool of themselves.
>
> It is:
>
> Potato - Potatoes
> Tomato - Tomatoes

Over time, many words have had their 'preferred' spelling changed.
Those two are among them.

On the other hand, 'their' which is a possessive case form of 'they',
hasn't changed, nor has 'there', which is a word which specifies a PLACE.

Re: Newsgroups

PhillipJones
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 16.08.2009 05:04, squaredancer wrote:

I guess you did catch my mistake of describing the teacher as prime and
proper when it should have been  prim and proper.

As for there and their, I admit frequently I interchange them. Then go
back, re-read only to find I used the wrong version.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.    "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Newsgroups

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, at 07:49:26 -0400,
*-* In Article <[hidden email]>,
*-* Annailís wrote
*-* About Re: Newsgroups

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Hmmm, "Idol chatter"? Should we discuss Michael Jackson, Linus
>>> Torvald, or whomever our "idol" is? But not Bill Gates...?
>>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
>> Dang nab it! You beat me to it!
>
> That's almost as good as the "duel boot" systems or "waiting with
> baited breath",

     That one's legitimate.  It's used to describe the cat that ate
the cheese and then waited by the mouse hole (live mouse (animal), not
computer mouse). ;-)

>                 for a spelling slip.  Homophones are the bane of
> English-speakers' existence.

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)