Newbie questions

Lorenzo Fiorini-2
I'm evaluating XUL/RDF for a new ERP app or better to port an existing
app.
In the last weeks I've gone through the tutorial and googled
everything with XUL/RDF but I still miss something.
I hope this is the right place to post if not please forgive me and
point me to the right group.

1. I need a remote app without any local storage, is it a viable
solution for a complex ERP app in XUL?

2. Is it correct if I say that the "life-cycle" of a XUL app can be:
SQL->RDF, XUL widgets change the RDF in-memory, RDF will be serialized
and sent to a remote app using XMLHttpRequest, RDF->SQL?

best regards,
Lorenzo Fiorini

Re: Newbie questions

Axel Hecht-2
LF wrote:

> I'm evaluating XUL/RDF for a new ERP app or better to port an existing
> app.
> In the last weeks I've gone through the tutorial and googled
> everything with XUL/RDF but I still miss something.
> I hope this is the right place to post if not please forgive me and
> point me to the right group.
>
> 1. I need a remote app without any local storage, is it a viable
> solution for a complex ERP app in XUL?
>
> 2. Is it correct if I say that the "life-cycle" of a XUL app can be:
> SQL->RDF, XUL widgets change the RDF in-memory, RDF will be serialized
> and sent to a remote app using XMLHttpRequest, RDF->SQL?
>
> best regards,
> Lorenzo Fiorini

It really depends on your transaction model and the total size of the
dataset.

You should also know how much RDF templating is going to give compared
to plain DOM-based content creation. The RDF/XML implementation doesn't
serialize back over the net, just to files, so you'll need to write the
serialization part yourself anyway, at which point not using RDF may
come as a benefit or not.

Axel

Re: Newbie questions

Lorenzo Fiorini-2
On Aug 15, 6:08 am, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should also know how much RDF templating is going to give compared
> to plain DOM-based content creation. The RDF/XML implementation doesn't
> serialize back over the net, just to files, so you'll need to write the
> serialization part yourself anyway, at which point not using RDF may
> come as a benefit or not.

Many thanks.

I think you're right. I'm starting to learn that RDF is not so easy to
manage.
The only useful use of RDF I see so far is "attach" data to a tree.
Am I correct?
Are there non RDF solutions?

best regards,
Lorenzo Fiorini

Re: Newbie questions

Axel Hecht-2
LF wrote:

> On Aug 15, 6:08 am, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You should also know how much RDF templating is going to give compared
>> to plain DOM-based content creation. The RDF/XML implementation doesn't
>> serialize back over the net, just to files, so you'll need to write the
>> serialization part yourself anyway, at which point not using RDF may
>> come as a benefit or not.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> I think you're right. I'm starting to learn that RDF is not so easy to
> manage.
> The only useful use of RDF I see so far is "attach" data to a tree.
> Am I correct?
> Are there non RDF solutions?

Well, you can just use js to format the date and add it to the DOM.
Those are questions more suited for m.d.t.xul, though.

Axel