New browser from the devs of Palemoon

caver1-5
This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
Basilisk features
Main features:

     Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
browsing.
     Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
authentication plugins, etc.).
     Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
     Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
available.
     Support for ALSA on Linux.
     Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
     Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
     Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
HSTS, etc.

Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

     Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
     Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
     Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
     Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
     Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
     Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

--
Caver1

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

WaltS48-6
On 11/20/17 4:15 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
> Basilisk features
> Main features:
>
>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
> browsing.
>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
> authentication plugins, etc.).
>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
> available.
>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
> HSTS, etc.
>
> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>
>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

Sounds totally unsecured to me.

--
Less than three months until Valentine's Day
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Balaco
Em 20-11-2017 23:31, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 11/20/17 4:15 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern
>> web browsing.
>>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>> ciphers, HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a
>> more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>

> Sounds totally unsecured to me.

Unsecured? May you please explain where did you conclude that?

On 11/20/17 9:11 PM, Balaco wrote:

> Em 20-11-2017 23:31, WaltS48 escreveu:
>> On 11/20/17 4:15 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>> Basilisk features
>>> Main features:
>>>
>>>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern
>>> web browsing.
>>>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>>> available.
>>>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>>> ciphers, HSTS, etc.
>>>
>>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>>
>>>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a
>>> more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>>

>> Sounds totally unsecured to me.
>>

> Unsecured? May you please explain where did you conclude that?

You obviously know nothing about the Rust language, what e10s do or how
those non-walled-garden unsigned extensions can be exploited by hackers
to compromise your browsing experience.

I suggest you do the research. I've been following it for years.

On 11/20/17 9:18 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/20/17 9:11 PM, Balaco wrote:

>>> Sounds totally unsecured to me.
>>>

>> Unsecured? May you please explain where did you conclude that?
>>

> You obviously know nothing about the Rust language, what e10s do or how
> those non-walled-garden unsigned extensions can be exploited by hackers
> to compromise your browsing experience.
>
> I suggest you do the research. I've been following it for years.

I've been using FF long before Rust, e10s, and the signed extensions and
have never had a problem.
Still using FF52esr as my main and Looking closely at 57.  :)

--
Caver1

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

EE-2
Caver1 wrote:

> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
> Basilisk features
> Main features:
>
>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
> browsing.
>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
> authentication plugins, etc.).
>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
> available.
>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
> HSTS, etc.
>
> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>
>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

Em 21-11-2017 16:01, EE escreveu:

> Caver1 wrote:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern
>> web browsing.
>>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>> ciphers, HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a
>> more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>
> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

I also would like to see screenshots of it. Screenshots not only in
Windows, but Linux too (which is what I use 99,9% of the time).

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Endegee
On 21/11/2017 13:01, EE wrote:

> Caver1 wrote:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern
>> web browsing.
>>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>> ciphers, HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a
>> more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>
> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

Both.
Download and install and you can have all the screenshots you want. :-(

https://www.basilisk-browser.org/download.shtml

On 11/21/17 1:01 PM, EE wrote:

> Caver1 wrote:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>       Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>> browsing.
>>       Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>       Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>       Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>       Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>       Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>       Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>       Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
>> HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>       Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>       Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>       Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>       Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>       Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>       Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>
> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

Here's a screenshot;
https://ibb.co/fJretR

On 11/21/17 1:36 PM, Balaco wrote:

> Em 21-11-2017 16:01, EE escreveu:
>> Caver1 wrote:
>>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>> Basilisk features
>>> Main features:
>>>
>>>       Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern
>>> web browsing.
>>>       Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>>       Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>>       Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>>> available.
>>>       Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>>       Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>>       Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>>       Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>>> ciphers, HSTS, etc.
>>>
>>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>>
>>>       Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a
>>> more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>>       Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>>       Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>>       Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>>       Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>>       Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>>
>> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
>> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?
>>

> I also would like to see screenshots of it. Screenshots not only in
> Windows, but Linux too (which is what I use 99,9% of the time).

The screen shot I posted is in Ubuntu. I don't have Windows.
https://ibb.co/fJretR

--
Caver1

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2017 1:46 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 11/21/17 1:01 PM, EE wrote:
>> Caver1 wrote:
>>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>> Basilisk features
>>> Main features:
>>>
>>>       Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>>> browsing.
>>>       Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>>       Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>>       Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>>> available.
>>>       Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>>       Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>>       Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>>       Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>>> ciphers,
>>> HSTS, etc.
>>>
>>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>>
>>>       Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>>       Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>>       Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>>       Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>>       Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>>       Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>>
>> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
>> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?
>>

> Here's a screenshot;
> https://ibb.co/fJretR

Is there a bookmarks toolbar?  If not, I am NOT interested.  99% of my
browsing is done from the bookmarks toolbar.

Em 20-11-2017 19:15, Caver1 escreveu:

> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
> Basilisk features
> Main features:
>
>     Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
> browsing.
>     Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
> authentication plugins, etc.).
>     Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>     Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
> available.
>     Support for ALSA on Linux.
>     Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>     Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>     Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
> HSTS, etc.
>
> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>
>     Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>     Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive
> and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>     Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed
> (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>     Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>     Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>     Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language supported
but English!

Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...

Em 21-11-2017 19:36, Ron Hunter escreveu:

> On 11/21/2017 1:46 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
>>> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?
>>>

>> Here's a screenshot;
>> https://ibb.co/fJretR
>>
> Is there a bookmarks toolbar?  If not, I am NOT interested.  99% of my
> browsing is done from the bookmarks toolbar.

It is a Firefox fork! You are probably wrong if you think they did any
work to *remove* something. For what you ask, it is there. I am running
Basilisk here and now...

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Desiree-11
On 11/21/2017 8:01 AM, EE wrote:

> Caver1 wrote:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>      Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>> browsing.
>>      Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>      Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>      Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>      Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>      Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>      Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>      Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
>> HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>      Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>      Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>      Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>      Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>      Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>      Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>
> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

It's based on Fx 55 so it has the Australis look.  If you install CTR
1.7.3.1 then you have the classic Fx/Pale Moon look.  I don't have
enough bookmarks yet (haven't imported any yet either) to see a reported
problem with CTR and drop down suggestions in the address bar.  Aris has
issued a new beta version of CTR that is supposed to fix the problem.

On 11/21/17 4:39 PM, Balaco wrote:

> Em 20-11-2017 19:15, Caver1 escreveu:
>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>> Basilisk features
>> Main features:
>>
>>     Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>> browsing.
>>     Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>     Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>     Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>> available.
>>     Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>     Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>     Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>     Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
>> HSTS, etc.
>>
>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>
>>     Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>     Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive
>> and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>     Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed
>> (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>     Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>     Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>     Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>

> A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language supported
> but English!
>
> Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
> Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
> with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...

The forum for your questions is at
<https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61>

Em 22-11-2017 00:40, WaltS48 escreveu:

> On 11/21/17 4:39 PM, Balaco wrote:
>> Em 20-11-2017 19:15, Caver1 escreveu:
>>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>> Basilisk features
>>> Main features:
>>>
>>>     Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>>> browsing.
>>>     Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>>     Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>>     Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>>> available.
>>>     Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>>     Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>>     Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>>     Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers,
>>> HSTS, etc.
>>>
>>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>>
>>>     Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>>     Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive
>>> and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>>     Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed
>>> (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>>     Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>>     Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>>     Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>>

>> A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language
>> supported but English!
>>
>> Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
>> Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
>> with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...
>
> The forum for your questions is at
> <https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61>

Thank you for the attention, Walt. I created an account in that forum a
few *hours* ago! :D

And about the translation, someone asked about it a few days ago, and
the answer was not good. I have made an answer there to give voice for
that idea. Other users should do it to. The more, the better:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17405

On 11/21/2017 3:49 PM, Balaco wrote:

> Em 21-11-2017 19:36, Ron Hunter escreveu:

>>> Here's a screenshot;
>>> https://ibb.co/fJretR
>>>
>> Is there a bookmarks toolbar?  If not, I am NOT interested.  99% of my
>> browsing is done from the bookmarks toolbar.
>>

> It is a Firefox fork! You are probably wrong if you think they did any
> work to *remove* something. For what you ask, it is there. I am running
> Basilisk here and now...

Good.  I will take a look at it.

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/21/2017
1:39 PM:

<snip>

> A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language supported
> but English!
>
> Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
> Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
> with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...

It is an arduous but conceivable task if Basilisk's underlying
architecture is somewhat similar to pre-Fx57's.

Note: I have no time nor desire to assist on this and fully acknowledge
that time spent on it may be wasted in the end. Also, my comments are
using a Windows system and its jargon, e.g., "\" instead of "/",
"folder" instead of "directory" AND locale=en-US, you would want to use
your local instead.

1. Navigate to your Fx installation folder, e.g. C:\Program
Files\Mozilla Firefox\
2. Navigate to its browser folder, C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox\browser\ and note a file by the name omni.ja. This is simply a
renamed zip archive.
3. Copy and rename it, to say, omni.zip
4. Extract all the files to disired folder, say, c:\...\omniunzip\
5. From there, navigate to c:\...\omniunzip\chrome\en-US\locale\browser.

In this folder you'll notice a bunch of files with the *.dtd extension.
These are simply text files that can be edited with your favorite text
editor. Opening one, say, browser.dtd you will find entries like

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Reload Tab">

the 1st field past the <!ENTITY tag defines the browser element and the
"some text" defines the its label.

Now, if (and that's a BIG if), Basilisk has a similar set of files,
conceivably, you could replace their text parts with that of your local,
for example.

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Your translation">

This would need to be done with all of the *.dtd  files in the browser
folder, at a minimum. Then, once complete, rename the existing Basilisk
omni.ja file to, say, omniORIG.ja and then re-zip the edited omniunzip
folder contents and name it omni.ja and copy it to the Basilisk's
omni.ja folder.

Then comes the smoke test when you restart Basilisk. If things go awry.
You should be able to kill the Basilisk process and rename the edited
omni.ja to, say, omni_boo-boo.ja and rename omniORIG.ja back to omni.ja

I did say it would be arduous, no?

--
Sailfish

Caver1 wrote:

> On 11/21/17 1:01 PM, EE wrote:
>> Caver1 wrote:
>>> This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too
>>> early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
>>> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
>>> Basilisk features
>>> Main features:
>>>
>>>       Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web
>>> browsing.
>>>       Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java,
>>> authentication plugins, etc.).
>>>       Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
>>>       Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode).
>>> Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet
>>> available.
>>>       Support for ALSA on Linux.
>>>       Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
>>>       Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
>>>       Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern
>>> ciphers,
>>> HSTS, etc.
>>>
>>> Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:
>>>
>>>       Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves
>>> slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in
>>> different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more
>>> accurate color space (non-premultiplied).
>>>       Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is
>>> alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.
>>>       Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base
>>> fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).
>>>       Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a
>>> familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
>>>       Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
>>>       Does not require walled-garden extension signing.
>>>
>> I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
>> like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?
>>

> Here's a screenshot;
> https://ibb.co/fJretR

I prefer the interface of Pale Moon.  That looks more like Australis
Firefox.

Em 22-11-2017 15:59, Sailfish escreveu:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/21/2017
> 1:39 PM:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language
>> supported but English!
>>
>> Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a
>> Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some
>> with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...
>
> It is an arduous but conceivable task if Basilisk's underlying
> architecture is somewhat similar to pre-Fx57's.
>
> Note: I have no time nor desire to assist on this and fully acknowledge
> that time spent on it may be wasted in the end. Also, my comments are
> using a Windows system and its jargon, e.g., "\" instead of "/",
> "folder" instead of "directory" AND locale=en-US, you would want to use
> your local instead.
>
> 1. Navigate to your Fx installation folder, e.g. C:\Program
> Files\Mozilla Firefox\
> 2. Navigate to its browser folder, C:\Program Files\Mozilla
> Firefox\browser\ and note a file by the name omni.ja. This is simply a
> renamed zip archive.
> 3. Copy and rename it, to say, omni.zip
> 4. Extract all the files to disired folder, say, c:\...\omniunzip\
> 5. From there, navigate to c:\...\omniunzip\chrome\en-US\locale\browser.
>
> In this folder you'll notice a bunch of files with the *.dtd extension.
> These are simply text files that can be edited with your favorite text
> editor. Opening one, say, browser.dtd you will find entries like
>
> <!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Reload Tab">
>
> the 1st field past the <!ENTITY tag defines the browser element and the
> "some text" defines the its label.
>
> Now, if (and that's a BIG if), Basilisk has a similar set of files,
> conceivably, you could replace their text parts with that of your local,
> for example.
>
> <!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Your translation">
>
> This would need to be done with all of the *.dtd  files in the browser
> folder, at a minimum. Then, once complete, rename the existing Basilisk
> omni.ja file to, say, omniORIG.ja and then re-zip the edited omniunzip
> folder contents and name it omni.ja and copy it to the Basilisk's
> omni.ja folder.
>
> Then comes the smoke test when you restart Basilisk. If things go awry.
> You should be able to kill the Basilisk process and rename the edited
> omni.ja to, say, omni_boo-boo.ja and rename omniORIG.ja back to omni.ja
>
> I did say it would be arduous, no?

That is *not* so arduous! (:

You mention an "en-US" folder inside that zip file. In my Firefox, which
has its interface in my language (Portuguese), where is that language
folder? I have checked the omni.ja file, just en-US folder there. But it
must be somewhere... do you know where is this path or (another) file?