New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

Sailfish-2
REF:
http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss

[excerpt quote="
The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
" /]

That'd be nice.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

Ron Hunter
On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>

> [excerpt quote="
> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
> " /]
>
> That'd be nice.

Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

Sailfish-2
8/15/2012 1:33 PM:

> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>> " /]
>>
>> That'd be nice.
>>
> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....

I'm hearing rumors that the current form takes that much time to encode
but that it will get better as it is refined.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

clay-14
On 08/15/2012 1:33 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>  REF:
>>  http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>

>>  [excerpt quote="
>>  The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>>  for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>>  in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>>  " /]
>>
>>  That'd be nice.
>>
> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....

...or ten times the processing power to decode.

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

Ed Mullen-6
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>> " /]
>>
>> That'd be nice.
>>
> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....

Or ten times as long for them to formalize the freaking "standard."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

»Q«
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:21:24 -0400
Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
> > On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> >> REF:
> >> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
> >>
> >> [excerpt quote="
> >> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft
> >> standard for a new video-compression format that delivers the same
> >> video quality in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
> >> " /]
> >>
> >> That'd be nice.
> >>
> > Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....
>
> Or ten times as long for them to formalize the freaking "standard."

Or costs ten times as much for licences for the patents.

On 8/15/2012 3:37 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 8/15/2012 1:33 PM:
>> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>>> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>>> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> That'd be nice.
>>>
>> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....
>>
> I'm hearing rumors that the current form takes that much time to encode
> but that it will get better as it is refined.

As long as it doesn't take a lot of CPU time to decode, it has a chance.
  I am sure that saving bandwidth will be an important goal for some
time yet.  Much like saving RAM or disk storage used to be.

On 8/15/2012 6:03 PM, clay wrote:

> On 08/15/2012 1:33 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>>  REF:
>>>  http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>>

>>>  [excerpt quote="
>>>  The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>>>  for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>>>  in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>>>  " /]
>>>
>>>  That'd be nice.
>>>
>> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....
>>

> ...or ten times the processing power to decode.

That would preclude its use on older systems, and would probably
overheat my laptop.

On 8/15/2012 6:21 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 8/15/2012 2:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>>> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>>> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> That'd be nice.
>>>
>> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....
>>

> Or ten times as long for them to formalize the freaking "standard."

That's automatic.

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
On 08/15/2012 07:54 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:21:24 -0400
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Yes, unless it takes 10 times as long to decode....
>>
>> Or ten times as long for them to formalize the freaking "standard."
>
> Or costs ten times as much for licences for the patents.

That's what Xiph's new video codec in development, daala, will be for.
It's supposed to be as good as or better than h265.

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

»Q«
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:41:55 -0500
"Michael B." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/15/2012 07:54 PM, »Q« wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:21:24 -0400
> > Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Or ten times as long for them to formalize the freaking "standard."
> >
> > Or costs ten times as much for licences for the patents.
>
> That's what Xiph's new video codec in development, daala, will be
> for. It's supposed to be as good as or better than h265.

I guess it will be years before that's at the standard-drafting stage.
But I'm just guessing, and the people working on it seem to think it's
too early to even speculate about timetables.  I expect devices will
have hardware decoding for H.265 before daala is ready, but I hope I'm
wrong.

Re: New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

David E. Ross-3
On 8/15/12 12:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>
> [excerpt quote="
> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
> " /]
>
> That'd be nice.

Just another case of someone using non-standard syntax and then getting
burned when that no longer works.

STICK WITH THE STANDARDS!!

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross

On 8/15/12 7:50 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 8/15/12 12:24 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard
>> for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality
>> in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.
>> " /]
>>
>> That'd be nice.
>>

> Just another case of someone using non-standard syntax and then getting
> burned when that no longer works.
>
> STICK WITH THE STANDARDS!!

OOPS!  I posted this reply in the wrong thread.  Please ignore.