New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

kfr-
I'm thinking that when you are creating a new event, the timezone should be displayed next to the start/end time.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

STF-7
On 2015.06.02 18:05, kfr- wrote:
> I'm thinking that when you are creating a new event, the timezone should be displayed next to the start/end time.

In other words, "(menu) Options > Show Timezones" should be enabled by
default (currently, it's disabled by default).

I agree too.  For those who don't need this information, they could
ignore its presence.  And the option is there, so technically, it should
be easy to do.

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

STF-7
On 2015.06.02 18:31, STF wrote:

> On 2015.06.02 18:05, kfr- wrote:
>> I'm thinking that when you are creating a new event, the timezone
>> should be displayed next to the start/end time.
>
> In other words, "(menu) Options > Show Timezones" should be enabled by
> default (currently, it's disabled by default).
>
> I agree too.  For those who don't need this information, they could
> ignore its presence.  And the option is there, so technically, it should
> be easy to do.
>

I've just found that once you enable this option in an event dialog, the
option is active for all successive event dialogs until you disable it
again.

Hope this help.
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

kfr-
That is great. would you happen to know what perf sets it?

I would like to lockPref it in our client configs.

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 1:31:19 PM UTC-5, STF wrote:

> On 2015.06.02 18:31, STF wrote:
> > On 2015.06.02 18:05, kfr- wrote:
> >> I'm thinking that when you are creating a new event, the timezone
> >> should be displayed next to the start/end time.
> >
> > In other words, "(menu) Options > Show Timezones" should be enabled by
> > default (currently, it's disabled by default).
> >
> > I agree too.  For those who don't need this information, they could
> > ignore its presence.  And the option is there, so technically, it should
> > be easy to do.
> >
>
> I've just found that once you enable this option in an event dialog, the
> option is active for all successive event dialogs until you disable it
> again.
>
> Hope this help.

_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

STF-7
On 2015.06.05 18:02, kfr- wrote:
> That is great. would you happen to know what perf sets it?

No, I don't know, at least not at the beginning.  But I think I finally
found it.  However, it's not that simple.  You could skip the following
part if you're not interested on how I found it.

<How I found where it's>
I've first searched through TB's integrated advanced option editor and
perf.js file to see if there's anything similar to "Show Timezone", but
it turned there's none.

I then made a search through all the files of Lightning package on
"timezone" as it's shown in the menu.  This time, after some reading and
parsing through the matched files, I found that in the file called
calendar-event-dialog.js
there's this function:

function toggleTimezoneLinks() {
     let cmdTimezone = document.getElementById('cmd_timezone');
     let isChecked = cmdTimezone.getAttribute("checked") == "true";
     cmdTimezone.setAttribute("checked", isChecked ? "false" : "true");
     updateDateTime();
}

Here, it talked about a (sub) element attached to "document".  Not being
a FF/TB add-on programmer, I have no idea what that refers to.

Then I did a search on the keyword "cmd_timezone" and this time I found
that it's defined inside this file:
<user_TB_profile>\Profiles\<random_name>\localstore.rdf
</How I found where it's>

So, that "config" is defined inside the localstore.rdf file like this:

<RDF:Description
RDF:about="chrome://calendar/content/calendar-event-dialog.xul#cmd_timezone"
checked="true" />

And of course, we could have checked="true" or checked="false" to turn
timezone display on or off respectively.

But what is localstore.rdf file?

Well, according to this article:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf
the file Localstore.rdf stores toolbar and window size/position settings!

In other words, there are two serious problems here:
1. That option is not really settable through some preference.  It's
just saved through some toggle of window position and menu choice.
Furthermore, localstore.rdf can get corrupted, and when this happens,
it's recommended to delete the file and start TB over again.  That means
if localstore.rdf is deleted (because people didn't think it's
important), timezone display is actually resetted!

2. "The localstore.rdf file has been deprecated and replaced with
xulstore.json in mozilla34" as stated at the very beginning of that article

> I would like to lockPref it in our client configs.

I don't think you can because as far as I can tell, localstore.rdf does
not define cmd_timezone toggle value when TB/Lightning just got started
for the first time.  And of course, there's also this sentence:
"It's not advisable to edit this file manually because of its complexity."

I think I'm going to file a request to have a proper config value to
display timezone in event dialog.

STF


_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

STF-7
On 2015.06.08 17:28, STF wrote:
 > [snipped]
> I think I'm going to file a request to have a proper config value to
> display timezone in event dialog.

Finally I've filed two bugs/requests:
1. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1172804
(RFE: A real option/preference to toggle timezones links next to
start/end time in new event dialog)

and
2. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1172695
(RFE: Moving away from localstore.rdf)

For the 1st one, it's not exactly what you asked -- you asked to have
the timezones shown by default.

For the 2nd one, I'm not sure if the bug is valid or not because I
didn't know how to interpret the article whose link I posted earlier.
Does it mean the transition is automatic?  Or does it mean it's
necessary to change the program to use the new format?



_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New Events Should Include the Timezone Next to the Start/End Dates

STF-7
In reply to this post by STF-7
On 2015.06.08 17:28, STF wrote:
> On 2015.06.05 18:02, kfr- wrote:
>> That is great. would you happen to know what perf sets it?
>
> [deleted]
> So, that "config" is defined inside the localstore.rdf file like this:
>
> [deleted]
> 2. "The localstore.rdf file has been deprecated and replaced with
> xulstore.json in mozilla34" as stated at the very beginning of that article

A little follow-up:
According to Stefan Sitter written in Bug 1172695, "Localstore.rdf is
not used anymore in Thunderbird 34 / Lightning 3.6 and newer."

So, better check xulstore.json and its content if I were you.


_______________________________________________
dev-apps-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-calendar