New Add-ons List

Ryan Sipes
Hello all,

There has been much discussion as to where add-on developer
conversations should be happening. After much consideration I have
decided that it should have its own list that is clearly dedicated to
the topic and is Thunderbird-owned.

The new location is the "Add-ons Developer" list on our Topicbox
<https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/addons>.

If you are an Add-on Developer, interested in Add-on development, or
just want to follow the conversations around add-ons - please head over
there and sign up for the list.

As part of this, I will be sunsetting the dev-apps-thunderbird group.
Not right away, but in the next few months as we replace any mention of
the group in our documentation with the new list.

Feel free to ping me with questions and concerns.

--
Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager

New Add-ons List

opto
Is that absolutely necessary? It breaks the continuity of where to find Information and is now one more Location where one has to search.
Thanks Klaus

Re: New Add-ons List

WaltS48-9
On 6/8/19 7:29 PM, opto wrote:
> Is that absolutely necessary? It breaks the continuity of where to find Information and is now one more Location where one has to search.
> Thanks Klaus

Well, where are you going to go if/when Mozilla shutters the news
server/mailing list. Ryan may as well do it first.

People are also posting on Discourse, which I also don't think is needed
fragmenting things even more. It also gives the impression Thunderbird
is a Mozilla product. IMHO

<https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/thunderbird/addons>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: New Add-ons List

opto
are you aware of FF''s new feature of reloading tabs when changing tabs? That came with one of the last FF updates and effectively prevents to log ito topicbox:

open topicbox, enter email to request code

switch to another tab to get code from mailbox

switch back to topicbox tab: FF reloads the tab, requests new email, sends new code ....

..going back to step 1 ...

> The new location is the "Add-ons Developer" list on our Topicbox
> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/addons>.

Re: New Add-ons List

Mark Banner-4
On 19/06/2019 07:22, opto wrote:

> are you aware of FF''s new feature of reloading tabs when changing tabs? That came with one of the last FF updates and effectively prevents to log ito topicbox:

The "feature" only occurs when you are low on memory. Tabs that are in
the background will get put to sleep to save memory and reloaded when
you then switch back to them.

I'll feed this case back to the developers though, since it would seem
that's not an ideal use case.

Mark

Re: New Add-ons List

opto
thanks for the explanation.

That feature is really bad on mobile connection.
Consider reading three (static) pages in MDN to find something - whenever switching between tabs, they are reloaded.

A low memory message would enable me to free space. This solution is just bad and wastes mobile data allowance and creates major waiting time for reload.

Klaus

Re: New Add-ons List

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
Amazing that new features are introduced before being tested extensively
the developer community by eating dog food so to speak.

I *think* we can disabled partially the auto reloading (not always see
below) by
setting

accessibility.blockautorefresh

to true.

But if Windows is low on memory, this reloading may happen inevitably.

See the discussion in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.support.firefox/FOie_QsIPd0

Hope this may help a bit.

On 2019/06/19 23:22, opto wrote:

> are you aware of FF''s new feature of reloading tabs when changing tabs? That came with one of the last FF updates and effectively prevents to log ito topicbox:
>
> open topicbox, enter email to request code
>
> switch to another tab to get code from mailbox
>
> switch back to topicbox tab: FF reloads the tab, requests new email, sends new code ....
>
> ..going back to step 1 ...
>

>> The new location is the "Add-ons Developer" list on our Topicbox
>> <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/addons>.

Re: New Add-ons List

tanstaafl-2
Ummm... 16GB RAM here, and it does it when I'm using less than 8GB

On June 19, 2019 1:34:39 PM EDT, Mark Banner <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 19/06/2019 07:22, opto wrote:
>
>> are you aware of FF''s new feature of reloading tabs when changing
>tabs? That came with one of the last FF updates and effectively
>prevents to log ito topicbox:
>
>The "feature" only occurs when you are low on memory. Tabs that are in
>the background will get put to sleep to save memory and reloaded when
>you then switch back to them.
>
>I'll feed this case back to the developers though, since it would seem
>that's not an ideal use case.
>
>Mark

Re: New Add-ons List

Mark Banner-4
On 19/06/2019 19:31, Charles Marcus wrote:

> Ummm... 16GB RAM here, and it does it when I'm using less than 8GB

I was told yesterday that we have discovered some issues on Windows with
the feature and it'll either get fixed or disabled for now. I don't have
a reference for this at the moment, and I don't know if that's already
happened in the latest dot release or not.

Mark