Netscape?

Cap Smith
Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?

Cap Smith

Re: Netscape?

gwtc
Cap Smith wrote:

> Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?
>
> Cap Smith
No.

Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The only
differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM, Netscape Webmail
access, and a few others.

Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.  They
worked on Moz to develope Net.

Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird (email/news only
program) and Firefox (browser only)

Net 8.x is based on FF.

You can get more info here:
http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html

Re: Netscape?

John Thompson-3
On 2006-01-08, Cap Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?

Sort of. When AOL bought Netscape, the Mozilla foundation was charged with
creating the next version of Netscape. But as I understand it, most of the
old Netscape code was tossed, and Netscape 6 was almost a total rewrite
derived from the Mozilla codebase.

--

-John ([hidden email])

Re: Netscape?

Jay Garcia
On 08.01.2006 10:50, gwtc wrote:

>> Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?
>>
>> Cap Smith
> No.
>
> Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The only
> differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM, Netscape Webmail
> access, and a few others.
>
> Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.  They
> worked on Moz to develope Net.
>
> Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird (email/news only
> program) and Firefox (browser only)
>
> Net 8.x is based on FF.
>
> You can get more info here:
> http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html

The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will no
longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm, come to
think of it, neither will Moz ...

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Netscape?

Jay Garcia
On 08.01.2006 14:05, John Thompson wrote:

> On 2006-01-08, Cap Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?
>
> Sort of. When AOL bought Netscape, the Mozilla foundation was charged with
> creating the next version of Netscape. But as I understand it, most of the
> old Netscape code was tossed, and Netscape 6 was almost a total rewrite
> derived from the Mozilla codebase.

That is not correct. The Mozilla Foundation never has nor ever will be
"charged" with anything to do with Netscape. Netscape 6/7 is sourced
from Mozilla code but Netscape 8 is sourced from the Firefox 1.0 codebase.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 08.01.2006 14:05, John Thompson wrote:

To add, Netscape 8 is sourced from FireFox which came from Mozilla the
Suite, which became the source for Netscape 7.x.

Re: Netscape?

CBFalconer
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 08.01.2006 10:50, gwtc wrote:
>> Cap Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Is Mozilla a renaming of the old Netscape?
>>>
>> No.
>>
>> Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The
>> only differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM,
>> Netscape Webmail access, and a few others.
>>
>> Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.
>> They worked on Moz to develope Net.
>>
>> Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird
>> (email/news only program) and Firefox (browser only)
>>
>> Net 8.x is based on FF.
>>
>> You can get more info here:
>> http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
>
> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will
> no longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm,
> come to think of it, neither will Moz ...

And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.

  the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article.  Click on

Re: Netscape?

Leonidas Jones
Chuck F. wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The
>>> only differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM,
>>> Netscape Webmail access, and a few others.
>>>
>>> Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.
>>> They worked on Moz to develope Net.
>>>
>>> Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird
>>> (email/news only program) and Firefox (browser only)
>>>
>>> Net 8.x is based on FF.
>>>
>>> You can get more info here:
>>> http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
>>
>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will
>> no longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm,
>> come to think of it, neither will Moz ...
>
> And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.

Not exactly a fair comment. Netscape 8 is exactly what it professes to
be, a web browser.

Does one complain that Notepad does not have a mail component?

The problem is that Netscape pushed 8 as an upgrade, which it isn't.
People expected it would be a new version of the suite, which it is not.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned SeaMonkey:

Lee

Re: Netscape?

gwtc
Chuck F. wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:

>>>No.
>>>
>>>Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The
>>>only differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM,
>>>Netscape Webmail access, and a few others.
>>>
>>>Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.
>>>They worked on Moz to develope Net.
>>>
>>>Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird
>>>(email/news only program) and Firefox (browser only)
>>>
>>>Net 8.x is based on FF.
>>>
>>>You can get more info here:
>>>http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
>>
>>The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will
>>no longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm,
>>come to think of it, neither will Moz ...
>

> And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.

Netscape 8 IS functional.  It doesn't have mail or new capability
because its a browser only

Re: Netscape?

Chris Ilias
_Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/01/2006 8:28 PM:
> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will no
> longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm, come to
> think of it, neither will Moz ...

Perhaps someone from Moz.org can clarify this, but I think the Mozilla
1.7 branch is still open for patches, as well as aviary 1.0.x. It's
supposed to close in the third quarter of 2006.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>

Re: Netscape?

Philip Chee
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:21:25 -0500 16:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/01/2006 8:28 PM:

>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will no
>> longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm, come to
>> think of it, neither will Moz ...

> Perhaps someone from Moz.org can clarify this, but I think the Mozilla
> 1.7 branch is still open for patches, as well as aviary 1.0.x. It's
> supposed to close in the third quarter of 2006.

The Moz 1.7 and Firefox 1.0 branches are still open but only for security
and stability bugs.

By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
expecting too much isn't it?

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: Netscape?

Doug Kanter

"Philip Chee" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dptfql$2ld$[hidden email]...

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:21:25 -0500 16:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/01/2006 8:28 PM:
>
>>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will no
>>> longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm, come to
>>> think of it, neither will Moz ...
>
>> Perhaps someone from Moz.org can clarify this, but I think the Mozilla
>> 1.7 branch is still open for patches, as well as aviary 1.0.x. It's
>> supposed to close in the third quarter of 2006.
>
> The Moz 1.7 and Firefox 1.0 branches are still open but only for security
> and stability bugs.
>
> By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
> problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
> file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
> file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
> expecting too much isn't it?
>
> Phil

It *is* expecting too much, unless you adjust your expectations. Most Moz
stuff is designed (to use the word humorously) for the people who wrote it.
If this were not true, then the simplest design defects would be fixed
first.

Re: Netscape?

Jay Garcia
On 08.01.2006 21:32, Chuck F. wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> Netscape 7.2 is actually Mozilla 1.7.2 only in disguise.  The
>>> only differences is the Netscape branded name, AOL IM,
>>> Netscape Webmail access, and a few others.
>>>
>>> Mozilla was the developers and testers program for Netscape.
>>> They worked on Moz to develope Net.
>>>
>>> Out of Moz came two other programs called Thunderbird
>>> (email/news only program) and Firefox (browser only)
>>>
>>> Net 8.x is based on FF.
>>>
>>> You can get more info here:
>>> http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
>>
>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will
>> no longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm,
>> come to think of it, neither will Moz ...
>
> And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.

Hmmm, so by your standards, Firefox isn't functional either ??

On 08.01.2006 19:59, gwtc wrote:

>> On 08.01.2006 14:05, John Thompson wrote:

"Knee bone connected to the ............" Oh nevermind ... :-)

On 09.01.2006 05:02, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:21:25 -0500 16:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/01/2006 8:28 PM:
>
>>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and will no
>>> longer be updated, even for security patches, etc. .. Hmmm, come to
>>> think of it, neither will Moz ...
>
>> Perhaps someone from Moz.org can clarify this, but I think the Mozilla
>> 1.7 branch is still open for patches, as well as aviary 1.0.x. It's
>> supposed to close in the third quarter of 2006.
>
> The Moz 1.7 and Firefox 1.0 branches are still open but only for security
> and stability bugs.
>
> By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
> problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
> file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
> file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
> expecting too much isn't it?
>
> Phil

The fix has been posted AND "Sailfish" posted the fixed file so that
"users" don't have to know how to patch it themselves. Just download and
replace is all there is to it.

On 09.01.2006 09:06, Jay Garcia wrote:

>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:21:25 -0500 16:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>> _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly on 08/01/2006 8:28 PM:

>>> Perhaps someone from Moz.org can clarify this, but I think the Mozilla
>>> 1.7 branch is still open for patches, as well as aviary 1.0.x. It's
>>> supposed to close in the third quarter of 2006.
>>
>> The Moz 1.7 and Firefox 1.0 branches are still open but only for security
>> and stability bugs.
>>
>> By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
>> problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
>> file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
>> file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
>> expecting too much isn't it?
>>
>> Phil
>
> The fix has been posted AND "Sailfish" posted the fixed file so that
> "users" don't have to know how to patch it themselves. Just download and
> replace is all there is to it.

The file "browser.jar" is on my UFAQ for download:

http://www.ufaq.org/downloads/browser.jar

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Chuck F. wrote:

... snip ...

>> And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.
>
> Not exactly a fair comment. Netscape 8 is exactly what it
> professes to be, a web browser.
>
> Does one complain that Notepad does not have a mail component?
>
> The problem is that Netscape pushed 8 as an upgrade, which it
> isn't. People expected it would be a new version of the suite,
> which it is not.

Since Netscape has handled mail for at least the past 6 or 7 years,
I don't think expecting something with the same name to continue to
do so is unfair.

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:06:06 -0600, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 09.01.2006 05:02, Philip Chee wrote:

>> By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
>> problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
>> file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
>> file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
>> expecting too much isn't it?

> The fix has been posted AND "Sailfish" posted the fixed file so that
> "users" don't have to know how to patch it themselves. Just download and
> replace is all there is to it.

I don't think "Sailfish" works for netscape :-) And you know what the
security talking-heads say about trusting unofficial patches. Besides it
would be trivially easy for Netscape to distribute the patched .jar file as
an XPI.

On the Flashblock install page I have put up an multibarfix.xpi file that
fixes a NS8 bug that is triggered by Flashblock.
<http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation2.html>

If I can do it, Netscape engineers with their much greater resources could
also do it.

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org
[ ]All right, set phasers to deep fat fry!
* TagZilla 0.059

Re: Netscape?

CBFalconer
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 08.01.2006 21:32, Chuck F. wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:

... snip ...

>>> The other difference is that Netscape 7 is a dead issue and
>>> will no longer be updated, even for security patches, etc.
>>> .. Hmmm, come to think of it, neither will Moz ...
>>
>> And Netscape 8 isn't functional - no mail or news capability.
>
> Hmmm, so by your standards, Firefox isn't functional either ??

As a Netscape program, no.

On 09.01.2006 10:54, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:06:06 -0600, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 09.01.2006 05:02, Philip Chee wrote:
>
>>> By the way Jay, when will NS8 come up with a bug fixed version to the
>>> problem of freezing solid at exactly 22:00 everyday? Releasing a raw .js
>>> file and expecting the average user to know how to unpack a netscape jar
>>> file, fish out the old javascript file and repack with the new file is
>>> expecting too much isn't it?
>
>> The fix has been posted AND "Sailfish" posted the fixed file so that
>> "users" don't have to know how to patch it themselves. Just download and
>> replace is all there is to it.
>
> I don't think "Sailfish" works for netscape :-) And you know what the
> security talking-heads say about trusting unofficial patches. Besides it
> would be trivially easy for Netscape to distribute the patched .jar file as
> an XPI.
>
> On the Flashblock install page I have put up an multibarfix.xpi file that
> fixes a NS8 bug that is triggered by Flashblock.
> <http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation2.html>
>
> If I can do it, Netscape engineers with their much greater resources could
> also do it.
>
> Phil

What Sailfish posted was the official fix from Netscape that I supplied
(I work for Netscape) that came directly from the programmer that fixed
it. What Sailfish posted was the patched browser.jar file so that the
newbie user could install it without having to figure out the patching
instructions. And furthermore, we had posts from "newbie" users that
indicated success. :-)