Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
release.

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/

Also this patch that I know of .....

In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
out there.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Seymour Wolfson
Jay Garcia wrote:

> Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
> release.
>
> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/
>
> Also this patch that I know of .....
>
> In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
> they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
> bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
> out there.

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
On 27.09.2006 15:40, Seymour Wolfson wrote:

>> Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
>> release.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/
>>
>> Also this patch that I know of .....
>>
>> In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
>> they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
>> bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
>> out there.
>>
> ==============
> Is there any work going on for updates for the Mac version?
>
> Seymour

There is no Mac version .... yet.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Leonidas Jones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 27.09.2006 15:40, Seymour Wolfson wrote:

Tease!!!

I hope it comes, obviously, though I will certainly install the new
version on mu Windows box.

What FF version if the new NS8 version based on?

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
On 27.09.2006 21:41, Leonidas Jones wrote:

>> On 27.09.2006 15:40, Seymour Wolfson wrote:

FF 1.0 foundation

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 27.09.2006 21:41, Leonidas Jones wrote:

Thanks that's what I expected, will download on XP.

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Leonidas Jones
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 27.09.2006 21:41, Leonidas Jones wrote:

Hey Jay, I just tried to install NS1.8.2 on XP, and I got a dialog
asking if I wanted to replace NS7.2.

In earlier versions the two could coexist. I said No, and the installer
quit.

What happens if I say yes?  Does it uninstall NS 7.2? That would be a
negative for existing NS7.2 users who are depending on it for news and mail.

Well, I use Windows hardly ever these days, so I went for it.

Okay NS7.2 compact still exists. Phew!

But I now seem to have three NS8 desktop icons.

Probably from the three times I started the installer, but stopped it
two times, for fear of losing NS7.2.

The "replace" dialog that doesn't really replace might be worth calling
to the attention of the team.

The biggest support question about NS 6,after all, is "where is the
Mail?"  If the installer makes it seem like the older version is gone,
there could be a problem.

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
On 27.09.2006 23:44, Leonidas Jones wrote:

>>> On 27.09.2006 21:41, Leonidas Jones wrote:

"Some" users had that same problem but I've never seen it and cannot be
reproduced at Netscape, so I dunno. Is NS 7.2 loaded in memory? Is Quick
Launch enabled in 7.2? I have 7.2 here, not loaded, no Quick Launch and
I've never seen that dialog. It was discussed in the NS Community forum
but no resolution that I am aware of. And I don't see how 7.2 would be
removed either. Dunno

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 27.09.2006 23:44, Leonidas Jones wrote:

/snip/

>>> Lee
>> Hey Jay, I just tried to install NS1.8.2 on XP, and I got a dialog
>> asking if I wanted to replace NS7.2.
>>
>> In earlier versions the two could coexist. I said No, and the installer
>> quit.
>>
>> What happens if I say yes?  Does it uninstall NS 7.2? That would be a
>> negative for existing NS7.2 users who are depending on it for news and mail.
>>
>> Well, I use Windows hardly ever these days, so I went for it.
>>
>> Okay NS7.2 compact still exists. Phew!
>>
>> But I now seem to have three NS8 desktop icons.
>>
>> Probably from the three times I started the installer, but stopped it
>> two times, for fear of losing NS7.2.
>>
>> The "replace" dialog that doesn't really replace might be worth calling
>> to the attention of the team.
>>
>> The biggest support question about NS 6,after all, is "where is the
>> Mail?"  If the installer makes it seem like the older version is gone,
>> there could be a problem.
>>
>> Lee
>
> "Some" users had that same problem but I've never seen it and cannot be
> reproduced at Netscape, so I dunno. Is NS 7.2 loaded in memory? Is Quick
> Launch enabled in 7.2? I have 7.2 here, not loaded, no Quick Launch and
> I've never seen that dialog. It was discussed in the NS Community forum
> but no resolution that I am aware of. And I don't see how 7.2 would be
> removed either. Dunno

7.2 is on the system, but I've never used Quicklaunch.  I haven't opened
7.2 on that XP machine in at least a week, and its been rebooted since then.

I'm glad to know its a known issue, and not something experienced by
every one.

I've got 8.2 running now, looking good.

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Leonidas Jones
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 27.09.2006 23:44, Leonidas Jones wrote:

That should have read 8.1.2, of course.

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
On 28.09.2006 17:19, Leonidas Jones wrote:

.... and with no apparent harm to 7.2 I presume?!

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 28.09.2006 17:19, Leonidas Jones wrote:

None whatever!!

Lee

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Jay Garcia
On 28.09.2006 20:43, Leonidas Jones wrote:

>> On 28.09.2006 17:19, Leonidas Jones wrote:

Nobody I know of knows where that message comes from ... :-(

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

garth2007
Who'd bother.

Jay Garcia wrote:

Brian J. Graham-2

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 28.09.2006 20:43, Leonidas Jones wrote:

Not many! :)

--
Brian

. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

garth2007
Seymour Wolfson wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
>> release.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/
>>
>> Also this patch that I know of .....
>>
>> In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
>> they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
>> bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
>> out there.

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Moz Champion (Dan)
garth wrote:

> Seymour Wolfson wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
>>> release.
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/
>>>
>>> Also this patch that I know of .....
>>>
>>> In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
>>> they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
>>> bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
>>> out there.
>>>
>> ==============
>> Is there any work going on for updates for the Mac version?
>>
>> Seymour
>
> Who cares.

Those of us on Macintoshes care

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

user-41
On 30.10.2006 17:20, garth wrote:

>>> Bug fix and security patches only, no feature or UI enhancements in this
>>> release.
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape8/english/8.1.2/windows/win32/
>>>
>>> Also this patch that I know of .....
>>>
>>> In the current browser, there are several sites that are saying that
>>> they are being blocked by Symantec, when in fact it is a false positive
>>> bug in the software, so the Symantec guys are eager for us to get this
>>> out there.
>>>
>> ==============
>> Is there any work going on for updates for the Mac version?
>>
>> Seymour
>
> Who cares.

People who use Macs, dumbass.

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

garth2007
user wrote:

> On 30.10.2006 17:20, garth wrote:

Netscape, Seamonkey old hat.

Re: Netscape 8.1.2 Released

Leonidas Jones
Garth wrote:
> user wrote:
>> On 30.10.2006 17:20, garth wrote:

/snip/

>>> Who cares.
>>
>> People who use Macs, dumbass.
>
> Netscape, Seamonkey old hat.

You are getting seriously close to being plonked.

Lee