Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Doug Kanter
4:30 PM today, NS 7.2 was working fine. Shut down the machine normally, no
crashes. Rebooted at 7:00 PM. I click on the NS icon and nothing happens.
This installation has been working for 2 years without trouble on a machine
running XP Pro, SP2. There were no changes to the machine today. Between
ZoneAlarm and the router, nothing gets in or out of the computer without my
knowing about it. Windows Update is set to full manual.

Any thoughts on this situation?

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Leonidas Jones
Doug Kanter wrote:

> 4:30 PM today, NS 7.2 was working fine. Shut down the machine normally, no
> crashes. Rebooted at 7:00 PM. I click on the NS icon and nothing happens.
> This installation has been working for 2 years without trouble on a machine
> running XP Pro, SP2. There were no changes to the machine today. Between
> ZoneAlarm and the router, nothing gets in or out of the computer without my
> knowing about it. Windows Update is set to full manual.
>
> Any thoughts on this situation?

Fresh startup after a reboot? Man!

All I can think of is to uninstall, be sure the Program
Files\mozilla.org folder is gone, make sure the Program Files\Common
Files\mozilla.org folder is gone, then reinstall NS 7.2.

Lee

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Doug Kanter

"Leonidas Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dks0bo$[hidden email]...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> 4:30 PM today, NS 7.2 was working fine. Shut down the machine normally,
>> no crashes. Rebooted at 7:00 PM. I click on the NS icon and nothing
>> happens. This installation has been working for 2 years without trouble
>> on a machine running XP Pro, SP2. There were no changes to the machine
>> today. Between ZoneAlarm and the router, nothing gets in or out of the
>> computer without my knowing about it. Windows Update is set to full
>> manual.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this situation?
>
> Fresh startup after a reboot? Man!
>
> All I can think of is to uninstall, be sure the Program Files\mozilla.org
> folder is gone, make sure the Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org
> folder is gone, then reinstall NS 7.2.
>
> Lee

Gave up, installed Firefox. Bored with the old problems, so I thought it was
time to be annoyed by some new ones.

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Shankar Unni
Doug Kanter wrote:

> Any thoughts on this situation?

Have you tried deleting the xul.mfl file (the mozilla fastload file) in
the profile directory? Usually this ends up getting corrupted,
preventing startup, and deleting it is safe (netscape will immediately
rebuild it afresh at the next start).

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Doug Kanter

"Shankar Unni" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:dl0gki$[hidden email]...
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on this situation?
>

> Have you tried deleting the xul.mfl file (the mozilla fastload file) in
> the profile directory? Usually this ends up getting corrupted, preventing
> startup, and deleting it is safe (netscape will immediately rebuild it
> afresh at the next start).

Yes, I tried that. I finally got disgusted, uninstalled NS, and installed
Firefox. It comes with its own set of annoyances, but....oh well.

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Tom  J

"Doug Kanter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bXPcf.12671$[hidden email]...

> Yes, I tried that. I finally got disgusted, uninstalled NS, and
> installed Firefox. It comes with its own set of annoyances,
> but....oh well.

I keep trying the newer versions from the Mozilla Group, including
step child Sea Monkey, but keep running Mozilla 1.7.8 and have never
found a single reader from them that I liked, so I'm still with
Outlook Express. :-(

Tom J

Re: Netscape 7.2 dead, suddenly

Doug Kanter

"Tom J" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:G9Qcf.6831$[hidden email]...

> "Doug Kanter" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:bXPcf.12671$[hidden email]...
>

>> Yes, I tried that. I finally got disgusted, uninstalled NS, and installed
>> Firefox. It comes with its own set of annoyances, but....oh well.
>
> I keep trying the newer versions from the Mozilla Group, including step
> child Sea Monkey, but keep running Mozilla 1.7.8 and have never found a
> single reader from them that I liked, so I'm still with Outlook Express.
> :-(
>
> Tom J

Me too (OE). Without the "watched threads" feature, newsgroups would be even
more annoying than they already are. The method of monitoring threads in Moz
products was, quite simply, designed by complete idiots.