Need beginner add-on development advices for TB

Need beginner add-on development advices for TB

antoine.sochala
Hello everyone,

I need to develop an add-on for Thunderbird but I am totally new on this subject.

As long as I know, Thunderbird doesn't support WebExtensions. But maybe I am wrong on this point ?

Moreover, all development guides I found are pretty old and I saw warnings everywhere which said that all previous technologies (such as XUL) will be depreciated and so on...

This situation discouraged me a lot.

Therefore, I would like to know if there is a recent add-on development guide for Thunderbird where I can learn peacefully ?

Or, if at least you have a piece of advice for me, I will appreciate a lot.

Can't wait to hear from you guys,
and have a good day !

Regards,
Antoine

Re: Need beginner add-on development advices for TB

Dean Edridge
On 6/7/17 8:47 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I need to develop an add-on for Thunderbird but I am totally new on this subject.
>
> As long as I know, Thunderbird doesn't support WebExtensions. But maybe I am wrong on this point ?
>
> Moreover, all development guides I found are pretty old and I saw warnings everywhere which said that all previous technologies (such as XUL) will be depreciated and so on...
>
> This situation discouraged me a lot.
>

> Therefore, I would like to know if there is a recent add-on development guide for Thunderbird where I can learn peacefully ?
>
> Or, if at least you have a piece of advice for me, I will appreciate a lot.
>

> Can't wait to hear from you guys,
> and have a good day !
>
> Regards,
> Antoine

Hi Antoine,

You could also try Mozilla's discourse community website. You may be
able to get the help you need there.

https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/add-ons

There's also Mozilla's IRC channel, #addons with some more info relating
to addons/extensions in the room title.

Hope that helps,
Dean

Re: Need beginner add-on development advices for TB

Onno Ekker-2
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:47 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> I need to develop an add-on for Thunderbird but I am totally new on this
> subject.
>
> As long as I know, Thunderbird doesn't support WebExtensions. But maybe I
> am wrong on this point ?
>
> Moreover, all development guides I found are pretty old and I saw warnings
> everywhere which said that all previous technologies (such as XUL) will be
> depreciated and so on...
>
> This situation discouraged me a lot.
>

> Therefore, I would like to know if there is a recent add-on development
> guide for Thunderbird where I can learn peacefully ?
>
> Or, if at least you have a piece of advice for me, I will appreciate a lot.
>

> Can't wait to hear from you guys,
> and have a good day !
>
> Regards,
> Antoine

See also this (oldish) discussion from august 2015 on tb-planning:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/UIVHTbhjrU8

Mozilla is planning to drop support for "classic" add-ons in Firefox 57.
I'm not quite sure if that will also mean that it will be removed from
Thunderbird 59, which will be the first released version based on that
Gecko version or that the add-ons store as we know it will keep supporting
"classic" add-ons.

The volunteers working on Thunderbird haven't put too much (any?) effort in
creating API's for WebExtensions for Thunderbird, so if you want to create
an add-on you will have to use the olde format and maybe make it
restartless to safe the user from one warning.

Onno

Re: Need beginner add-on development advices for TB

Isaac Schemm
Onno Ekker wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:47 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>

>> I need to develop an add-on for Thunderbird but I am totally new on this
>> subject.
>>
>> As long as I know, Thunderbird doesn't support WebExtensions. But maybe I
>> am wrong on this point ?
>>
>> Moreover, all development guides I found are pretty old and I saw warnings
>> everywhere which said that all previous technologies (such as XUL) will be
>> depreciated and so on...
>>
>> This situation discouraged me a lot.
>>

>> Therefore, I would like to know if there is a recent add-on development
>> guide for Thunderbird where I can learn peacefully ?
>>
>> Or, if at least you have a piece of advice for me, I will appreciate a lot.
>>

>> Can't wait to hear from you guys,
>> and have a good day !
>>
>> Regards,
>> Antoine
>>

> See also this (oldish) discussion from august 2015 on tb-planning:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/UIVHTbhjrU8
>
> Mozilla is planning to drop support for "classic" add-ons in Firefox 57.
> I'm not quite sure if that will also mean that it will be removed from
> Thunderbird 59, which will be the first released version based on that
> Gecko version or that the add-ons store as we know it will keep supporting
> "classic" add-ons.
>
> The volunteers working on Thunderbird haven't put too much (any?) effort in
> creating API's for WebExtensions for Thunderbird, so if you want to create
> an add-on you will have to use the olde format and maybe make it
> restartless to safe the user from one warning.
>
> Onno

I'll add that as far as addons.mozilla.org policy goes, extensions that
only support Thunderbird (not Firefox) are not considered legacy, and
will still be accepted:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/

As far as whether Thunderbird 59 will still support them, it's probably
too early to tell at this point.