Navigating web based forums - How?

Richard Owlett-3
I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
user groups.

Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
All their user support is web based fora -
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104

This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
What should I be reading?

TIA

Re: Navigating web based forums - How?

WaltS48-11
On 7/2/20 7:08 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
> I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
> user groups.
>
> Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
> All their user support is web based fora -
>     https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>
> This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
> What should I be reading?
>
> TIA

What is it you want to do with MX Linux?

They have a Search field in the upper right corner of that page. Try
using that.

On 07/02/2020 07:27 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/2/20 7:08 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
>> I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
>> user groups.
>>
>> Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
>> All their user support is web based fora -
>>     https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>>
>> This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
>> What should I be reading?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> What is it you want to do with MX Linux?

At this point in time that's not quite the "right question".
My questions are more focused on how to use web based fora in general.
Mx Linux is just an example of what I need to navigate.
I've never bothered with web fora before and instead gone looking for a
a mailing list or USENET forum. In this case I didn't either where MX
Linux would be "On Topic".

On 7/2/20 8:48 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 07/02/2020 07:27 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 7/2/20 7:08 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
>>> I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
>>> user groups.
>>>
>>> Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
>>> All their user support is web based fora -
>>>     https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>>>
>>> This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
>>> What should I be reading?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> What is it you want to do with MX Linux?
>
> At this point in time that's not quite the "right question".
> My questions are more focused on how to use web based fora in general.
> Mx Linux is just an example of what I need to navigate.
> I've never bothered with web fora before and instead gone looking for a
> a mailing list or USENET forum. In this case I didn't either where MX
> Linux would be "On Topic".

You click a link and read it.

If you want to ask a question or reply to a post you click the Register
link and create an account.

HTH

Re: Navigating web based forums - How?

Mike Easter-2
Richard Owlett wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
>>> I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
>>> user groups.
>>>
>>> Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
>>> All their user support is web based fora -
>>>     https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>>>
>>> This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
>>> What should I be reading?
>>
>> What is it you want to do with MX Linux?
>
> At this point in time that's not quite the "right question".
> My questions are more focused on how to use web based fora in general.
> Mx Linux is just an example of what I need to navigate.
> I've never bothered with web fora before and instead gone looking for a
> a mailing list or USENET forum. In this case I didn't either where MX
> Linux would be "On Topic".

I too prefer usenet interaction over web forums.

I have posted msg/s related to MX in alt.os.linux, since there isn't a
specific MX ng.

MX is not the same as its corresponding Deb, because among other
significant differences, its default boot is not systemd.  It is also
not Devuan.

For example, there is a MX 'specific' Tb package in the MX repo/s, but
there is not a SeaMonkey package in there.

One of my 'problems' w/ webforums is that I don't like to use a browser
to input text or to have a conversation similar to that of a usenet
group, for which I much prefer my news agent's editor.  I don't like the
html 'milieu'.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Navigating web based forums - How?

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 10:02:44, Mike Easter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Richard Owlett wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> What is it you want to do with MX Linux?
>>  At this point in time that's not quite the "right question".
>> My questions are more focused on how to use web based fora in general.
>> Mx Linux is just an example of what I need to navigate.
>> I've never bothered with web fora before and instead gone looking for
>>a  a mailing list or USENET forum. In this case I didn't either where
>>MX  Linux would be "On Topic".
>>>
>I too prefer usenet interaction over web forums.
>
>I have posted msg/s related to MX in alt.os.linux, since there isn't a
>specific MX ng.
>
>MX is not the same as its corresponding Deb, because among other
>significant differences, its default boot is not systemd.  It is also
>not Devuan.
>
>For example, there is a MX 'specific' Tb package in the MX repo/s, but
>there is not a SeaMonkey package in there.
>
>One of my 'problems' w/ webforums is that I don't like to use a browser
>to input text or to have a conversation similar to that of a usenet
>group, for which I much prefer my news agent's editor.  I don't like
>the html 'milieu'.

And each forum has its own way of working - not just the differences
you'd get between newsgroups (such as what is/isn't acceptable, top
versus bottom posting, that sort of thing), but the mechanics of the
user interface: where the new post/followup/expand controls are, paging,
and so on. (OK, not every forum is different, but there are enough
different ways to do it. Unlike usenet.)

I like your "I don't like the html 'milieu'"; IMO that's a very good way
of putting it. (It's what's kept me off Facebook; I do use Twitter
[jpeg, @G6JPG_], but am constantly irritated by its UI.)

The motto of the Royal Society is: 'Take nobody's word for it'. Scepticism has
value. - Brian Cox, RT 2015/3/14-20

Re: Navigating web based forums - How?

Dave Royal
On 2 Jul 2020 06:08:15 -0500 Richard Owlett wrote:

>I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
>I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
>user groups.
>
>Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
>All their user support is web based fora -
>    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>
>This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
>What should I be reading?

If you want to quickly see everything that goes on, in the way you do with
usenet or a mailing list, then one way is to use RSS:
<https://forum.mxlinux.org/app.php/feed>
You'll have to find out what feeds are available - some forums have new
topics - which is useful - some only have new posts which is less so.

Most forum software allows you to 'watch' a topic you're interested in. If not
there is software that will periodically check webpages for changes - though
I haven't had to use it for a decade.

That forum uses phpBB. It's OK, a bit long in the tooth, but none the worse
for that. If you don't like it wait till you have to use some of the newer
ones!

Most usenet groups I once followed moved to forums long ago. I'm surprised
you've avoided them.

(I use Debian, BTW. I saw your post about T'bird. Why did you choose MX?
Do you like making life difficult for yourself?)
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

On 03 Jul 2020 02:44:48 -0500 Dave Royal wrote:

>(I use Debian, BTW. I saw your post about T'bird. Why did you choose MX?
>Do you like making life difficult for yourself?)

Actually, I see that post about Thunderbird was by someone else. Sorry.

But I am curious - why MX Linux?

On 07/02/2020 12:02 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> What is it you want to do with MX Linux?
>>
>> At this point in time that's not quite the "right question".
>> My questions are more focused on how to use web based fora in general.
>> Mx Linux is just an example of what I need to navigate.
>> I've never bothered with web fora before and instead gone looking for
>> a a mailing list or USENET forum. In this case I didn't either where
>> MX Linux would be "On Topic".
>>>
> I too prefer usenet interaction over web forums.
>
> I have posted msg/s related to MX in alt.os.linux, since there isn't a
> specific MX ng.

Thanks for the pointer. I haven't used that group in quite a while. It
will likely be a better match for my interests -- currently focused on
Debian derivatives but am also interested in Slackware and Linux From
Scratch.

> MX is not the same as its corresponding Deb, because among other
> significant differences, its default boot is not systemd.  It is also
> not Devuan.

I've got a currently one-off project for which my tightest, but not
absolute, constraint is being able to use Debian repositories.

> For example, there is a MX 'specific' Tb package in the MX repo/s, but
> there is not a SeaMonkey package in there.

I *MUCH* prefer SeaMonkey and have had no problems using the package
available at

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.53.2/linux-i686/en-US/seamonkey-2.53.2.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

I assume it will work OK with MX Linux.

On 07/03/2020 02:44 AM, Dave Royal wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2020 06:08:15 -0500 Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on Debian Linux.
>> I have always used USENET and mailing lists to interact with various
>> user groups.
>>
>> Someone pointed me to MX Linux for a one-off project.
>> All their user support is web based fora -
>>     https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=104
>>
>> This senior citizen has no idea how to EFFICIENTLY navigate such.
>> What should I be reading?
>>
> If you want to quickly see everything that goes on, in the way you do with
> usenet or a mailing list, then one way is to use RSS:
> <https://forum.mxlinux.org/app.php/feed>
> You'll have to find out what feeds are available - some forums have new
> topics - which is useful - some only have new posts which is less so.

I looked briefly at RSS a long time ago. Haven't had reason to
investigate it as everything I've needed has been available elsewhere.

> Most forum software allows you to 'watch' a topic you're interested in. If not
> there is software that will periodically check webpages for changes - though
> I haven't had to use it for a decade.
>
> That forum uses phpBB. It's OK, a bit long in the tooth, but none the worse
> for that. If you don't like it wait till you have to use some of the newer
> ones!
>
> Most usenet groups I once followed moved to forums long ago. I'm surprised
> you've avoided them.

I'm an antique who remembers when all CPU's had vacuum tubes ;/

> (I use Debian, BTW. I saw your post about T'bird. Why did you choose MX?

I was pointed to it on a local LUG list after I complained that the
Debian installer didn't some very peculiar one-off requirements. MX
appears to handle persistence in a way that will allow me to make
changes and then make a Live Image of it. I haven't finished reading the
manual so I may be disappointed.