NSS question about license

Shailendra Jain
Hi,

I believe NSS is licensed under MPL, GPL and LGPL. Since GPL license has
more restrictions in terms of reusing the code and publishing, how much of
NSS code is licensed under GPL? Is it possible that I could exclude only the
files licensed under GPL and still obtain the major NSS features ? If yes
what are the list of files that I have to excluded due to GPL license.

Regards,
Shailen

Re: NSS question about license

Benjamin Smedberg
On 3/3/10 1:23 PM, Shailendra Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe NSS is licensed under MPL, GPL and LGPL. Since GPL license has
> more restrictions in terms of reusing the code and publishing, how much of
> NSS code is licensed under GPL? Is it possible that I could exclude only the
> files licensed under GPL and still obtain the major NSS features ? If yes
> what are the list of files that I have to excluded due to GPL license.

All of NSS is licensed under the "tri-license". That means you can choose to
use the terms of the MPL, the LGPL, *or* the GPL. There are no files which
are GPL-only.

You should probably consult a lawyer if there is any confusion.

--BDS

Re: NSS question about license

timeless-3
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Shailendra Jain
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe NSS is licensed under MPL, GPL and LGPL. Since GPL license has
> more restrictions in terms of reusing the code and publishing, how much of
> NSS code is licensed under GPL? Is it possible that I could exclude only the
> files licensed under GPL and still obtain the major NSS features ? If yes
> what are the list of files that I have to excluded due to GPL license.

Mozilla code is generally dual or triple licensed. That means that in
general you should be able to use the code under any of those
licenses. In general, mozilla.org does not host GPL only code.

Note that for files w/ multiple license clauses, contributions are
expected to be returned to satisfy all of them, so if a file is
MPL-tri(LGPL,GPL) then you have to keep the file w/ the tri and
understand that your contribution is to MPL-tri, and that someone can
later take that file and use it under any of the three, or relicense
the file for their own(w/ derivatives) uses under LGPL or GPL.

I'm not going to speak for Mozilla/NSS. However, Mozilla Firefox uses
NSS and does so by relying on the MPL license, so it would be fairly
bad if NSS happened to have GPL only code in it, as it would be a
license violation and we strive to avoid those....

If you find any file in NSS which is GPL only, please indicate the
file (preferably a url to the file, in mxr.mozilla.org or
hg.mozilla.org). Thanks