NSS_Context and FIPS

Rob Crittenden
I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for NSS
Contexts.

I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
NSS_InitContext() using this:

     if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
         fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
         SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
         if (!mod) {
             fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
             exit(1);
         }
         char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
             SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);

         if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) != SECSuccess) ||
          !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
                  fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
certificate database\n");
                  exit(1);
         }

I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:

$ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
list_certs --lib2_command list_certs --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
--order 12zi

This is the output:

$ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
list_certs --lib2_command list_certs  --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
--order  12zi
* initializing with order "12zi"*
*NSS_Init for lib1*
Checking for FIPS
Initializing FIPS
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
cacert                                                       CTu,Cu,Cu
*       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
*       Nickname=cacert*
*       Subject=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       SN=01 *
Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
*       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
*       Nickname=Server-Cert*
*       Subject=<CN=darlene.greyoak.com,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
*       SN=04 *
*NSS_Init for lib2*
Checking for FIPS
FIPS already enabled
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib2*
*NSS_Shutdown for lib2
*Shutdown lib2 state = 0
*Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
*NSS_Shutdown for lib1
*Shutdown lib1 state = 0

So db1 is successfully put into FIPS mode and the slot names are changed
as one would expect, but then lib2 isn't set into FIPS mode and
subsequently no certificates are discovered at all (I can only assume
because there is a mix of FIPS and non-FIPS tokens so it throws up?)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

rob

Re: NSS_Context and FIPS

Robert Relyea
On 10/21/2016 07:04 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for
> NSS Contexts.
>
> I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
> NSS_InitContext() using this:

So you can't change the state of an already open database. NSS will
switch all new databases that are opened, and idle the old ones
(basically they are open, but not really accessible).

>     if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>         fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
>         SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
>         if (!mod) {
>             fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
>             exit(1);
>         }
>         char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
>             SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);
>
>         if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) != SECSuccess) ||
>          !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>                  fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
> certificate database\n");
>                  exit(1);
>         }
>
> I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:

So when you do an initcontext, you're main database is usually not the
same as the main database when you open NSS, so it won't get
automatically switched.

Is there a reason you are trying to do a dynamic switch to FIPS mode
from within a library? (I'd like to know the use case).

Dynamic switching is a pretty careful choreographed dance that
applications like mozilla can execute with care. It usually involves
both fips and non-fips tokens opened for a short period until all the
references can be cleared. Databases opened before the switch will
almost certainly be inaccessible.

> $ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
> list_certs --lib2_command list_certs --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
> --order 12zi
>
> This is the output:
>
> $ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
> list_certs --lib2_command list_certs  --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
> --order  12zi
> * initializing with order "12zi"*
> *NSS_Init for lib1*
> Checking for FIPS
> Initializing FIPS
> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
> cacert CTu,Cu,Cu
> *       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
> *       Nickname=cacert*
> *       Subject=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
> *       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
> *       SN=01 *
> Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
> *       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
> *       Nickname=Server-Cert*
> *       Subject=<CN=darlene.greyoak.com,O=example.com,C=US>*
> *       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
> *       SN=04 *
> *NSS_Init for lib2*
> Checking for FIPS
> FIPS already enabled
> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib2*
> *NSS_Shutdown for lib2
> *Shutdown lib2 state = 0
> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
> *NSS_Shutdown for lib1
> *Shutdown lib1 state = 0
>
> So db1 is successfully put into FIPS mode and the slot names are
> changed as one would expect, but then lib2 isn't set into FIPS mode
> and subsequently no certificates are discovered at all (I can only
> assume because there is a mix of FIPS and non-FIPS tokens so it throws
> up?)
yes.

> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
pushing the limits of what is possible;).

So things are acting as I would expect. your other lib will likely need
to shutdown it's database and reopen it.

bob

> thanks
>
> rob

Re: NSS_Context and FIPS

Rob Crittenden
Robert Relyea wrote:

> On 10/21/2016 07:04 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for
>> NSS Contexts.
>>
>> I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
>> NSS_InitContext() using this:
>
> So you can't change the state of an already open database. NSS will
> switch all new databases that are opened, and idle the old ones
> (basically they are open, but not really accessible).
>

>>     if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>         fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
>>         SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
>>         if (!mod) {
>>             fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
>>             exit(1);
>>         }
>>         char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
>>             SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);
>>
>>         if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) != SECSuccess) ||
>>          !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>                  fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
>> certificate database\n");
>>                  exit(1);
>>         }
>>
>> I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:
>
> So when you do an initcontext, you're main database is usually not the
> same as the main database when you open NSS, so it won't get
> automatically switched.
>
> Is there a reason you are trying to do a dynamic switch to FIPS mode
> from within a library? (I'd like to know the use case).

I'm converting mod_nss to use contexts. I previously had an option to
switch on FIPS mode which turned it on in NSS, did some sanity checking
on the cipher options and required a password.

I'd be ok requiring an all or nothing with the FIPS databases if that
simplifies thiungs.

> Dynamic switching is a pretty careful choreographed dance that
> applications like mozilla can execute with care. It usually involves
> both fips and non-fips tokens opened for a short period until all the
> references can be cleared. Databases opened before the switch will
> almost certainly be inaccessible.
>>
>> $ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
>> list_certs --lib2_command list_certs --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
>> --order 12zi
>>
>> This is the output:
>>
>> $ ./multinit --verbose --lib1_db db1/ --lib2_db db2 --lib1_command
>> list_certs --lib2_command list_certs  --lib1_readonly --lib2_readonly
>> --order  12zi
>> * initializing with order "12zi"*
>> *NSS_Init for lib1*
>> Checking for FIPS
>> Initializing FIPS
>> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
>> cacert CTu,Cu,Cu
>> *       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
>> *       Nickname=cacert*
>> *       Subject=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
>> *       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
>> *       SN=01 *
>> Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
>> *       Slot=NSS FIPS 140-2 Certificate DB*
>> *       Nickname=Server-Cert*
>> *       Subject=<CN=darlene.greyoak.com,O=example.com,C=US>*
>> *       Issuer=<CN=Certificate Shack,O=example.com,C=US>*
>> *       SN=04 *
>> *NSS_Init for lib2*
>> Checking for FIPS
>> FIPS already enabled
>> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
>> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib2*
>> *NSS_Shutdown for lib2
>> *Shutdown lib2 state = 0
>> *Executing nss command "list_certs" for lib1*
>> *NSS_Shutdown for lib1
>> *Shutdown lib1 state = 0
>>
>> So db1 is successfully put into FIPS mode and the slot names are
>> changed as one would expect, but then lib2 isn't set into FIPS mode
>> and subsequently no certificates are discovered at all (I can only
>> assume because there is a mix of FIPS and non-FIPS tokens so it throws
>> up?)
> yes.
>>
>> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
> pushing the limits of what is possible;).
>
> So things are acting as I would expect. your other lib will likely need
> to shutdown it's database and reopen it.

I'm still a little unclear. So if I open all the databases, and THEN set
FIPS mode, that will do the trick? I was pretty sure I tried that but
who knows.

thanks

rob

Re: NSS_Context and FIPS

Robert Relyea
On 10/21/2016 01:59 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> Robert Relyea wrote:
>> On 10/21/2016 07:04 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for
>>> NSS Contexts.
>>>
>>> I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
>>> NSS_InitContext() using this:
>>
>> So you can't change the state of an already open database. NSS will
>> switch all new databases that are opened, and idle the old ones
>> (basically they are open, but not really accessible).
>>

>>>     if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>>         fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
>>>         SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
>>>         if (!mod) {
>>>             fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
>>>             exit(1);
>>>         }
>>>         char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
>>>             SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);
>>>
>>>         if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) !=
>>> SECSuccess) ||
>>>          !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>>                  fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
>>> certificate database\n");
>>>                  exit(1);
>>>         }
>>>
>>> I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:
>>
>> So when you do an initcontext, you're main database is usually not the
>> same as the main database when you open NSS, so it won't get
>> automatically switched.
>>
>> Is there a reason you are trying to do a dynamic switch to FIPS mode
>> from within a library? (I'd like to know the use case).
>
> I'm converting mod_nss to use contexts. I previously had an option to
> switch on FIPS mode which turned it on in NSS, did some sanity
> checking on the cipher options and required a password.
Did you know if it was used much?

> I'd be ok requiring an all or nothing with the FIPS databases if that
> simplifies thiungs.
That's probably the best. NSS allows mixed FIPS/non-fips to a point, but
really only to add the transition from one to another. Only one is
usefully active at once.

>> So things are acting as I would expect. your other lib will likely need
>> to shutdown it's database and reopen it.
>
> I'm still a little unclear. So if I open all the databases, and THEN
> set FIPS mode, that will do the trick? I was pretty sure I tried that
> but who knows.
No, you need to switch to FIPS mode first. It's the databases that were
opened before you got into FIPS mode that's the issue.

(NOTE: when you swith from FIPS to non-fips, you are actually switching
modules. The old modules and their slots hang around only as long as
there are references to them. Everthing you open before you switch to
FIPS mode will be on the old module which will go defunct after the switch).

bob

Re: NSS_Context and FIPS

Rob Crittenden
Robert Relyea wrote:

> On 10/21/2016 07:04 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to dynamically enable FIPS support for
>> NSS Contexts.
>>
>> I started with multinit.c and initialize FIPS right after calling
>> NSS_InitContext() using this:
>
> So you can't change the state of an already open database. NSS will
> switch all new databases that are opened, and idle the old ones
> (basically they are open, but not really accessible).
>

>>     if (!PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>         fprintf(stderr, "Initializing FIPS\n");
>>         SECMODModule *mod = SECMOD_GetInternalModule();
>>         if (!mod) {
>>             fprintf(stderr, "No module!?\n");
>>             exit(1);
>>         }
>>         char * internal_name = PR_smprintf("%s",
>>             SECMOD_GetInternalModule()->commonName);
>>
>>         if ((SECMOD_DeleteInternalModule(internal_name) != SECSuccess) ||
>>          !PK11_IsFIPS()) {
>>                  fprintf(stderr, "Unable to enable FIPS mode on
>> certificate database\n");
>>                  exit(1);
>>         }
>>
>> I'm executing it like this, initializing only db1 and db2 as contexts:
>
> So when you do an initcontext, you're main database is usually not the
> same as the main database when you open NSS, so it won't get
> automatically switched.

A further question: Is NSS_Initialize required or can I just use all
contexts everywhere?

rob