NSS API documentation - Am I missing something?

NSS API documentation - Am I missing something?

Ian Pilcher
I am trying to create a simple program that does some basic management of an NSS database (add/update/remove) certificates, and I'm having a terrible time finding documentation for even basic stuff.  (E.g. how do I iterate through a CERTCertList?)

The documentation on developer.mozilla.org seems *really* incomplete.

Is there a better source somewhere that I'm missing?

Re: NSS API documentation - Am I missing something?

John Dennis
On 03/18/2017 02:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am trying to create a simple program that does some basic
> management of an NSS database (add/update/remove) certificates, and
> I'm having a terrible time finding documentation for even basic
> stuff.  (E.g. how do I iterate through a CERTCertList?)

The best documentation on these is the NSS source code. In particular
the source to the certutil command line utility.

cmd/certutil/certutil.c

Look for ListCerts on line 575.

It's also useful and instructive to search the code base for other
references to the same types, often you'll discover a pattern or see
some other tidbit that's useful.

> The documentation on developer.mozilla.org seems *really*
> incomplete.

I think many would agree.

> Is there a better source somewhere that I'm missing?

Probably not, I think most developers using NSS learn it from studying
either the NSS source or source code that uses NSS.

At one time there was better doc online but I think some of it has
disappeared with various attempts to organize Mozilla developer doc.

--
John