NS7.2 re-installing, address books woes

skygodtj
Because of a mobo replacement, I had to reload XP on my home computer
and re-install some of my apps.  When re-installing NS7.2, I get an icon
and thats it.  It wont execute when I click on it.  Profile Mgr wont
work either.  I uninstalled, removed all refs to 7.2 in the Registry,
reinstalled time and time again, and it just wont work properly.

I have 7.2 running on another computer and managed to copy the email
folders into it, so I got my mail folders back, but I can not get the
address book (abook.mab) to work.  I copied it into the mozilla folder
in Doc's & Settings but it just will not import a .mab file.

Anyone have any ideas how to get my address book to work, or 7.2 to
install properly?

Thank you,

TJ

Re: NS7.2 re-installing, address books woes

Leonidas Jones
skygodtj wrote:

> Because of a mobo replacement, I had to reload XP on my home computer
> and re-install some of my apps.  When re-installing NS7.2, I get an icon
> and thats it.  It wont execute when I click on it.  Profile Mgr wont
> work either.  I uninstalled, removed all refs to 7.2 in the Registry,
> reinstalled time and time again, and it just wont work properly.
>
> I have 7.2 running on another computer and managed to copy the email
> folders into it, so I got my mail folders back, but I can not get the
> address book (abook.mab) to work.  I copied it into the mozilla folder
> in Doc's & Settings but it just will not import a .mab file.
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to get my address book to work, or 7.2 to
> install properly?
>
> Thank you,
>
> TJ

Did you paste your copy of abook.mad into the Mail subfolder of your
profile folder?

As far as your other issues on the new XP installation, try uninstalling
NS7.2 with Add/Remove Programs.  Go to C:\Program Files\Common
Files\mozilla.org\GRE.  Delete any GRE's you find in there, if any. The
uninstall is supposed to clean them up, but some times it doesn't.

Note, if you have any versions of Mozilla installed, you would need to
keep the GRE's specific to them.  If all you have is NS7.2, you can
delete the whole folder.

Download a fresh copy of the installer and install again.

Lee

Re: NS7.2 re-installing, address books woes

skygodtj-2
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> skygodtj wrote:
> > Because of a mobo replacement, I had to reload XP on my home computer
> > and re-install some of my apps.  When re-installing NS7.2, I get an icon
> > and thats it.  It wont execute when I click on it.  Profile Mgr wont
> > work either.  I uninstalled, removed all refs to 7.2 in the Registry,
> > reinstalled time and time again, and it just wont work properly.
> >
> > I have 7.2 running on another computer and managed to copy the email
> > folders into it, so I got my mail folders back, but I can not get the
> > address book (abook.mab) to work.  I copied it into the mozilla folder
> > in Doc's & Settings but it just will not import a .mab file.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas how to get my address book to work, or 7.2 to
> > install properly?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > TJ
> >

> Did you paste your copy of abook.mad into the Mail subfolder of your
> profile folder?

Yes, I copied the abook.mad and all the email folders into the other computers
profile folder, after the jk43u5t7-type profile folder, but no luck.  The only
address folder that appears(in 7.2) is Collected Addresses.

> As far as your other issues on the new XP installation, try uninstalling
> NS7.2 with Add/Remove Programs.  Go to C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\mozilla.org\GRE.  Delete any GRE's you find in there, if any. The
> uninstall is supposed to clean them up, but some times it doesn't.

I did the uninstall, each time the install failed.  I didnt know about the
GRE's, but just killed off the one that was in there.

> Note, if you have any versions of Mozilla installed, you would need to
> keep the GRE's specific to them.  If all you have is NS7.2, you can
> delete the whole folder.
>
> Download a fresh copy of the installer and install again.
>
> Lee

Thanks Lee, I hope that fixes it.  Getting it reinstalled is the only way to
recover the address book.

skygodtj wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> skygodtj wrote:
>>> Because of a mobo replacement, I had to reload XP on my home computer
>>> and re-install some of my apps.  When re-installing NS7.2, I get an icon
>>> and thats it.  It wont execute when I click on it.  Profile Mgr wont
>>> work either.  I uninstalled, removed all refs to 7.2 in the Registry,
>>> reinstalled time and time again, and it just wont work properly.
>>>
>>> I have 7.2 running on another computer and managed to copy the email
>>> folders into it, so I got my mail folders back, but I can not get the
>>> address book (abook.mab) to work.  I copied it into the mozilla folder
>>> in Doc's & Settings but it just will not import a .mab file.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas how to get my address book to work, or 7.2 to
>>> install properly?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> TJ
>>>
>> Did you paste your copy of abook.mad into the Mail subfolder of your
>> profile folder?
>
> Yes, I copied the abook.mad and all the email folders into the other computers
> profile folder, after the jk43u5t7-type profile folder, but no luck.  The only
> address folder that appears(in 7.2) is Collected Addresses.
>
>> As far as your other issues on the new XP installation, try uninstalling
>> NS7.2 with Add/Remove Programs.  Go to C:\Program Files\Common
>> Files\mozilla.org\GRE.  Delete any GRE's you find in there, if any. The
>> uninstall is supposed to clean them up, but some times it doesn't.
>
> I did the uninstall, each time the install failed.  I didnt know about the
> GRE's, but just killed off the one that was in there.
>
>> Note, if you have any versions of Mozilla installed, you would need to
>> keep the GRE's specific to them.  If all you have is NS7.2, you can
>> delete the whole folder.
>>
>> Download a fresh copy of the installer and install again.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Thanks Lee, I hope that fixes it.  Getting it reinstalled is the only way to
> recover the address book.
>
> Thank you,
>
> TJ

Keep us posted.

Lee

Re: NS7.2 re-installing, address books woes

skygodtj
Lee,

Killing off the GRE folder left over cleared the way for a clean install, got
7.1 installed, recovered my address book and email folders, even migrated the
two into some MS products(Outlook Express, Outlook Contacts) for backups.
Thanks, I appreciate all your help!

TJ

TJ Hvasta wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Killing off the GRE folder left over cleared the way for a clean install, got
> 7.1 installed, recovered my address book and email folders, even migrated the
> two into some MS products(Outlook Express, Outlook Contacts) for backups.
> Thanks, I appreciate all your help!

/snip/

I'm glad its working now!

Lee