Msg #'s out of sync

Jim Byrnes-2
I am using Mozilla to read the news groups.  The number of messages it
says it will get is greater than what is downloaded.  This happened
before and the cure was to edit a certain file, but I can't remember its
name.  Can someone refresh my memory, please.

Regards,  Jim

Re: Msg #'s out of sync

Lewis Rosenthal
On 12/10/2005 08:11 pm, Jim Byrnes thus wrote :
> I am using Mozilla to read the news groups.  The number of messages it
> says it will get is greater than what is downloaded.  This happened
> before and the cure was to edit a certain file, but I can't remember its
> name.  Can someone refresh my memory, please.
>
> Regards,  Jim
Hi, Jim. It's probably the index file which is out of sync (~.msf). Find
the index which relates to that ng in your News directory tree, and
delete it. I usually see this with POP3 folders, but it does happen with
IMAP and NNTP folders, as well.

Good luck.

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: Msg #'s out of sync

Peter Weilbacher
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:55:02 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 12/10/2005 08:11 pm, Jim Byrnes thus wrote :
> > I am using Mozilla to read the news groups.  The number of messages it
> > says it will get is greater than what is downloaded.  This happened
> > before and the cure was to edit a certain file, but I can't remember its
> > name.  Can someone refresh my memory, please.
>
> Hi, Jim. It's probably the index file which is out of sync (~.msf). Find
> the index which relates to that ng in your News directory tree, and
> delete it. I usually see this with POP3 folders, but it does happen with
> IMAP and NNTP folders, as well.

I only use newsgroups with Mozilla under Linux, and there I have to edit
the corresponding newsrc-<newsserver> file, so that there is a
contiguous range of message numbers (i.e. 1-30001 instead of
1-4387,4389-5874,5876-30001). I never understood (or tried to debug) why
that is happening.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: Msg #'s out of sync

Jim Byrnes-2
Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:55:02 UTC, Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>

>>On 12/10/2005 08:11 pm, Jim Byrnes thus wrote :
>>
>>>I am using Mozilla to read the news groups.  The number of messages it
>>>says it will get is greater than what is downloaded.  This happened
>>>before and the cure was to edit a certain file, but I can't remember its
>>>name.  Can someone refresh my memory, please.
>>
>>Hi, Jim. It's probably the index file which is out of sync (~.msf). Find
>>the index which relates to that ng in your News directory tree, and
>>delete it. I usually see this with POP3 folders, but it does happen with
>>IMAP and NNTP folders, as well.
>

> I only use newsgroups with Mozilla under Linux, and there I have to edit
> the corresponding newsrc-<newsserver> file, so that there is a
> contiguous range of message numbers (i.e. 1-30001 instead of
> 1-4387,4389-5874,5876-30001). I never understood (or tried to debug) why
> that is happening.

Thanks Peter,  that was the one I was thinking of.

Regards, Jim