MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel
Hi,

I tried to run MozillaTranslator-521 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, but unfortunately couldn't get full suceess in using it. Initially couldn't able to see any menu items, somehow solved it, then click on "choose" but doesn't open up any file-selection dialog at some places only, not everywhere. So, giving some wiered results.

I think it might be because of improper version of Java installed on my machine or something else (might be some environment variable needs to be set). Yes, i refered the docs given with the source also, but not enough/sufficient information for linux users i think. So, it will be good if someone point me the direction to RPM made for MozillaTranslator & few tips about how to use it on linux (RHEL5 would be much appreciated).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ankit Patel

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Ankit Patel escribió:
> I tried to run MozillaTranslator-521 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5,
> but unfortunately couldn't get full suceess in using it. Initially
> couldn't able to see any menu items, somehow solved it, then click
> on "choose" but doesn't open up any file-selection dialog at some
> places only, not everywhere. So, giving some wiered results.

Hum... yes, that's weird. BTW, while I still keep the 1.4 as the
minimum Java version to run MT, and the code doesn't use 1.5+ java
constructions, I have been warned that it could be that, actually,
some 1.5 libraries could be in use by MT, so you would need at least
Java 1.5. It looks like Java SE 6 is faster, so if you have to
upgrade, go to the 6.x series.

> I think it might be because of improper version of Java installed
> on my machine or something else (might be some environment variable
> needs to be set).

See if you have "java" in your path and the JAVA_HOME environment
variable set:

$ which java
/usr/local/jdk1.6/bin/java
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/jdk1.6

If you are using RPMs to provide a Java Runtime Environment to your
system, you may need to take a look to the RPM description to see
where is the JRE home dir.

> Yes, i refered the docs given with the source
> also, but not enough/sufficient information for linux users i
> think.

:-) That's funny, because I maintain and use MT on Linux and I test it
less and less frequently on Windows. I would have hoped to receive
complains in the opposite side.

> So, it will be good if someone point me the direction to RPM
> made for MozillaTranslator & few tips about how to use it on linux
> (RHEL5 would be much appreciated).

I'm afraid you aren't going to find RPM packages for MT (which scores
about 100 downloads in Sf.net for every version). On the other hand,
getting MT up and running is a more or less simple process:

1) Make sure your Java installation is correct (an RPM should care of
   this for you) and up to date. I wouldn't be surprised if you are
   still on Java 1.4.

2) Create a dir for MT, copy the JAR file in it, run it with java -jar
   mt521.jar (or create a script/shortcut/menu entry for it). There
   are no database or additional packages to set up, so besides a
   review of MT setup (File -> Setup), there is no much more to it.
   And I'd say you've already got this done, since you have actually
   used MT 5.04 with it.

Let me know your progress.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel
JDK1.6 has solved the problem. :)

Thanks a lot!

> I tried to run MozillaTranslator-521 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5,
> but unfortunately couldn't get full suceess in using it. Initially
> couldn't able to see any menu items, somehow solved it, then click
> on "choose" but doesn't open up any file-selection dialog at some
> places only, not everywhere. So, giving some wiered results.

Hum... yes, that's weird. BTW, while I still keep the 1.4 as the
minimum Java version to run MT, and the code doesn't use 1.5+ java
constructions, I have been warned that it could be that, actually,
some 1.5 libraries could be in use by MT, so you would need at least
Java 1.5. It looks like Java SE 6 is faster, so if you have to
upgrade, go to the 6.x series.

> I think it might be because of improper version of Java installed
> on my machine or something else (might be some environment variable
> needs to be set).

See if you have "java" in your path and the JAVA_HOME environment
variable set:

$ which java
/usr/local/jdk1.6/bin/java
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/jdk1.6

If you are using RPMs to provide a Java Runtime Environment to your
system, you may need to take a look to the RPM description to see
where is the JRE home dir.

> Yes, i refered the docs given with the source
> also, but not enough/sufficient information for linux users i
> think.

:-) That's funny, because I maintain and use MT on Linux and I test it
less and less frequently on Windows. I would have hoped to receive
complains in the opposite side.

> So, it will be good if someone point me the direction to RPM
> made for MozillaTranslator & few tips about how to use it on linux
> (RHEL5 would be much appreciated).

I'm afraid you aren't going to find RPM packages for MT (which scores
about 100 downloads in Sf.net for every version). On the other hand,
getting MT up and running is a more or less simple process:

1) Make sure your Java installation is correct (an RPM should care of
   this for you) and up to date. I wouldn't be surprised if you are
   still on Java 1.4.

2) Create a dir for MT, copy the JAR file in it, run it with java -jar
   mt521.jar (or create a script/shortcut/menu entry for it). There
   are no database or additional packages to set up, so besides a
   review of MT setup (File -> Setup), there is no much more to it.
   And I'd say you've already got this done, since you have actually
   used MT 5.04 with it.

Let me know your progress.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel

I have moved to JDK1.6 now, and it has solved the problem while you click on "choose" button by displaying file selection dialog. But, now some other problem has been generated. Please look at the two images, to find the errors i am facing.

http://indianoss.org/MT-errors/java_142.png
http://indianoss.org/MT-errors/java_16.png

Please let me know, if you got any clue on solving this problem.

Thanks!
Ankit Patel
http://www.indianoss.org/

> I tried to run MozillaTranslator-521 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5,
> but unfortunately couldn't get full suceess in using it. Initially
> couldn't able to see any menu items, somehow solved it, then click
> on "choose" but doesn't open up any file-selection dialog at some
> places only, not everywhere. So, giving some
 wiered results.

Hum... yes, that's weird. BTW, while I still keep the 1.4 as the
minimum Java version to run MT, and the code doesn't use 1.5+ java
constructions, I have been warned that it could be that, actually,
some 1.5 libraries could be in use by MT, so you would need at least
Java 1.5. It looks like Java SE 6 is faster, so if you have to
upgrade, go to the 6.x series.

> I think it might be because of improper version of Java installed
> on my machine or something else (might be some environment variable
> needs to be set).

See if you have "java" in your path and the JAVA_HOME environment
variable set:

$ which java
/usr/local/jdk1.6/bin/java
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/local/jdk1.6

If you are using RPMs to provide a Java Runtime Environment to your
system, you may need to take a look to the RPM description to see
where is the JRE home dir.

> Yes, i refered the
 docs given with the source
> also, but not enough/sufficient information for linux users i
> think.

:-) That's funny, because I maintain and use MT on Linux and I test it
less and less frequently on Windows. I would have hoped to receive
complains in the opposite side.

> So, it will be good if someone point me the direction to RPM
> made for MozillaTranslator & few tips about how to use it on linux
> (RHEL5 would be much appreciated).

I'm afraid you aren't going to find RPM packages for MT (which scores
about 100 downloads in Sf.net for every version). On the other hand,
getting MT up and running is a more or less simple process:

1) Make sure your Java installation is correct (an RPM should care of
   this for you) and up to date. I wouldn't be surprised if you are
   still on Java 1.4.

2) Create a dir for MT, copy the JAR file in it, run it with java
 -jar
   mt521.jar (or create a script/shortcut/menu entry for it). There
   are no database or additional packages to set up, so besides a
   review of MT setup (File -> Setup), there is no much more to it.
   And I'd say you've already got this done, since you have actually
   used MT 5.04 with it.

Let me know your progress.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Ankit Patel escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I have moved to JDK1.6 now, and it has solved the problem while you
> click on "choose" button by displaying file selection dialog. But,
> now some other problem has been generated. Please look at the two
> images, to find the errors i am facing.
>
> http://indianoss.org/MT-errors/java_142.png
> http://indianoss.org/MT-errors/java_16.png
>
> Please let me know, if you got any clue on solving this problem.

Hummm... It looks like you are trying to import a file without having
previously defined and populated a product (the Root node wandering
alone in the file import dialog).

The steps you should follow are:

1. Start loading the legacy Glossary.zip with your antecesor's work.
2. Update the products (File -> Update Product).
3. Import updated files if you have one.

You may want to review first five pages of MT user guide to get an
overall idea of the typical workflow of the application.

HTH

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel
What are the exact steps, if i want to translate l10n/gu-IN/browser/chrome/browser/brand.dtd file using MozillaTranslator? (Assume that i don't have any database or glossary.zip file, just a plain check-out of l10n/gu-IN/ and mozilla/)

Ankit Patel escribió:
> What are the exact steps, if i want to translate
> l10n/gu-IN/browser/chrome/browser/brand.dtd file using
> MozillaTranslator? (Assume that i don't have any database or
> glossary.zip file, just a plain check-out of l10n/gu-IN/ and
> mozilla/)

First of all, MT is intended to help you with whole products (and,
specially, updates to them). If you really want to translate just one
file, you will do it faster by hand, using a UTF-8 editor. :-)

Secondly, I've been reviewing A. Decorte's problem with MT and I've
found out that MT can't currently handle Firefox ab-CD.jar directory
structure. I'm starting another thread in this newsgroup about this.

Third, I can't find that file in en-US nor es-ES CVS:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8/source/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/
http://lxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/source/es-ES/browser/chrome/browser/

Are you really using the CVS directory structure?

Lastly, brand.dtd is a tricky file. In fact, there are two files with
the same name, one in browser/chrome/branding/ and other in
other-licenses/branding/firefox/. And, except under special
circumstances, I think you should leave both of them as they are,
since they involve trademarks and branding. Axel can clear the
specific status on this.

After all this chatting, my general recommendation is:

1) Use JAR mode only if you are working on SeaMonkey 1.x or, maybe, in
extensions. Even if you are going to unpack Firefox/Thunderbird JARs,
it is probably more flexible to use CVS mode (which is nothing more
than working with directory subtrees in your hard disk instead of a
packed JAR/ZIP file)

2) You always have to create a product. Even if you intend to
translate just that file, you should create a product in MT (likely
CVS based) and set the "Import original path" to your
l10n/gu-IN/<Mozilla_Component> directory. You can always export
translations on a file-by-file basis if you want (Export -> File).

We may try to arrange an IRC session or similar if you want me to help
you get started with MT. Since A. Decorte (fur-IT) is also in his
first steps, we could set a date and time and discuss problems and
possible solutions.

Ricardo

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel
Ah, that's really good if we can directly talk on IRC sometime. I am online during 10 AM to 8 PM Indian Standard Time on #l10n (irc.mozilla.org). What's the nickname do you use?

Please let me know the time you can deliver a small training on MT. I am really excited to join it.

Thanks a lot!

Ankit Patel escribió:
> Ah, that's really good if we can directly talk on IRC sometime. I
> am online during 10 AM to 8 PM Indian Standard Time on #l10n
> (irc.mozilla.org). What's the nickname do you use?

It looks like it is Rickie in moznet. :-)

Nobody else has expressed interest in such session; I'm going to send
an e-mail to our es-ES mailing list in case anyone is interested to
attend. It looks like Indian time is 3:30 hours ahead European summer
time; I can't connect from my job, and I wouldn't have the time to pay
attention to IRC, anyway, so if we could arrange next Sunday the time
window would be wider, and I would be less constrained by my work
schedule.

Besides, I'm trying to solve the directory layout issue, and maybe I
could have it fixed by then. :-)

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: MozillaTranslator - RPM

Ankit Patel

I couldn't find "moznet" channel anywhere on irc.mozilla.org. Please let me know if it's something different.
Btw, i won't take your much time to understand MozillaTranslator. So, don't worry. :)

Thanks for all the help you gave!

Ankit Patel escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find "moznet" channel anywhere on irc.mozilla.org.

"moznet" is the IRC network; irc.mozilla.org is a server in that
network (maybe the only one?). So, I'm Rickie in that network and
server, whether I have or not joined a channel.

> Please let me know if it's something different. Btw, i won't take
> your much time to understand MozillaTranslator. So, don't worry. :)

It is not the time you need to understand it, is the time I need to
explain it what worries me. ;-)

Ricardo.