MozillaBuild 3.0 Release Candidate

Ryan VanderMeulen-2
After a lot of local testing and help from others, I think MozillaBuild 3.0 is ready to be considered a release candidate. If I don't hear of any late-breaking blockers, I intend to get this signed and released on Friday.

Major updates since 2.2.0:
* Windows 7+ 64-bit is officially required to install.
* A number of components were updated to their 64-bit versions, Python included.
* nodejs and python3 were added.
* NSIS was updated to version 3.01 and older versions were removed.
* start-shell-msvc*.bat were removed in favor of using only start-shell.bat. The build system handles all compiler and platform SDK detection now.

Also, behind the scenes, I've completely overhauled how MozillaBuild gets packaged, making it substantially easier for new contributors to work on it without jumping through hoops like needing a custom builder VM that's been with us for the better part of a decade.

The RC build is available from the link below. Please try it out and let me know how it goes!

sha256: a1c4ea21176c4992da68139da32a064ea2c55ea96a203c6f2b0ee7903bec7413

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: MozillaBuild 3.0 Release Candidate

Benjamin Smedberg

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Ryan VanderMeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
After a lot of local testing and help from others, I think MozillaBuild 3.0 is ready to be considered a release candidate. If I don't hear of any late-breaking blockers, I intend to get this signed and released on Friday.

Major updates since 2.2.0:
* Windows 7+ 64-bit is officially required to install.
* A number of components were updated to their 64-bit versions, Python included.
* nodejs and python3 were added.
* NSIS was updated to version 3.01 and older versions were removed.
* start-shell-msvc*.bat were removed in favor of using only start-shell.bat. The build system handles all compiler and platform SDK detection now.

As a person who didn't know about start-shell.bat before today: how do I configure a 64-bit or 32-bit build in this new setup? Is this something that would now be in the mozconfig?

--BDS

Re: MozillaBuild 3.0 Release Candidate

Benjamin Smedberg
Sorry, my question wasn't clear.

How does one set in a mozconfig whether they want a 32-bit or 64-bit build? In the past I've always done that by launching the appropriate start-shell-msvc2015-x64 batch file.

--BDS

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Ryan VanderMeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You need the below two lines to your mozconfig to get a 64-bit build.
ac_add_options --host=x86_64-pc-mingw32
ac_add_options --target=x86_64-pc-mingw32

This is documented on the below page, albeit not very well. In general, that page could probably use some cleanup to reflect the new reality.

-Ryan