Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Sailfish-4
REF:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html

Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7

[excerpt quote=\"
Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
Firefox code
\" /]

Not good.

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

WaltS48-3
On 05/13/2016 03:15 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>
> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
> Firefox code
> \" /]
>
> Not good.

You don't want Mozilla to fix vulnerable code, if it is found in Firefox
code?

--
     Linux Mint 17.3
     Go Pens! Go Bucs!

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 5/13/2016
7:42 PM:

> On 05/13/2016 03:15 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>>

>> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
>> Firefox code
>> \" /]
>>
>> Not good.
>
> You don't want Mozilla to fix vulnerable code, if it is found in Firefox
> code?

Of course. My concern is, if so, how it got there in the first place.

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
5/13/2016 12:15 PM:

<snip />

> Not good.

REF: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-mozilla-idUSKCN0Y82A8

[excerpt quote=\"
A federal judge has rejected Mozilla Corp's request to force the U.S.
government to disclose a vulnerability related to its Firefox web
browser that the company says was exploited by the FBI to investigate
users of a large child pornography website.
\" /]

Looks like the vuln will be with Fx for a while yet.

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Daniel
On 19/05/2016 2:33 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
> 5/13/2016 12:15 PM:
>
> <snip />
>>
>> Not good.
>>
> REF: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-mozilla-idUSKCN0Y82A8
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> A federal judge has rejected Mozilla Corp's request to force the U.S.
> government to disclose a vulnerability related to its Firefox web
> browser that the company says was exploited by the FBI to investigate
> users of a large child pornography website.
> \" /]
>
> Looks like the vuln will be with Fx for a while yet.

Either that, or the FF team will be going through the program "like a
dose of salts"!! ;-)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.40 Build identifier: 20160120202951
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Terry
On 5/13/2016 12:15 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>
> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
> Firefox code
> \" /]
>
> Not good.

Just another nail...

OT

A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I opened
it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply placed your
email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.

How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
address.

Per:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.

Terry

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 19/05/2016 23:08, [hidden email] wrote:

> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I
> opened it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply
> placed your email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>
> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
> address.
>
> Per:
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.
>
> Terry

you don't have the option of Follow up as shown in this picture?:

Follow-Up <http://s32.postimg.org/bems0mnb9/2016_05_19_2332.png>

On 5/19/2016 3:34 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 19/05/2016 23:08, [hidden email] wrote:
>>

>> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I
>> opened it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply
>> placed your email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>>
>> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
>> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
>> address.
>>
>> Per:
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
>> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.
>>
>> Terry
>
> you don't have the option of Follow up as shown in this picture?:
>
> Follow-Up <http://s32.postimg.org/bems0mnb9/2016_05_19_2332.png>

Yes, I do, but I was going by the link reference above that states there
should be "Reply to Newsgroup". And there isn't any mention of Followup
in the Message section.  After only using TB2 and TB3 for newsgroups
until now, clicking Reply is the intuitive response, at least for me.  I
would never had bothered looking at the new version if someone writing
in to the Mozilla webmaster hadn't asked the question. I sent them the
link and they responded back, so I checked it out myself.

Thanks,
Terry

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

caver1-5
On 05/19/2016 06:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 5/13/2016 12:15 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>>
>> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
>> Firefox code
>> \" /]
>>
>> Not good.
>>

> Just another nail...
>
> OT
>
> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I opened
> it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply placed your
> email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>
> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
> address.
>
> Per:
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.
>
> Terry

Right click>Followup to Newsgroup

--
Caver1

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/13/2016 at 3:15 PM, Sailfish's fingers rattled off:

> REF:
> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>

> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
> Firefox code
> \" /]
>
> Not good.

It's actually a rather sad end to a tale.

A rather nice open-source project was attempted to be commercialized.

Failed.

Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
irrelevant.  As is their software.

Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird? Hmm.
They seem to have legs and a following.

Gotta wonder who's leading all this and if their butt and brain are
interconnected or not.

Anytime an organization ignores and abandons a passionate following
because some marketing genius says it should, well, that's time for a
requiem. I am a marketing "genius" ... or so some said many years ago.
So, my take is that Mozilla is a total mess.

No identity, confused identity, no marketibility, confused brand,
confused direction ... need I go on?

Well, and, so what?  It's not really even a company, eh?  There's no
product, it's product is free, and that's not a product.

Oh, geez, whatever.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 5/19/2016 3:08 PM:
> On 5/13/2016 12:15 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

<snip />

> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I opened
> it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply placed your
> email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>
> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
> address.
>
> Per:
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.

As you can see from my headers, I use TB 2.0.0.24 for newsgroups. I
stopped installing the new versions once Mozilla ended "Complete Themes"
which gave me reason to install the newer versions since I had several
themes to test.

Anyway, I would think TB 45 UI would be the same as always, i.e.,
clicking the "Reply" toolbar button or selecting the context menu item,
"Reply to Newsgroup"?

On 20/05/2016 10:47 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/13/2016 at 3:15 PM, Sailfish's fingers rattled off:
>> REF:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>>

>> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
>> Firefox code
>> \" /]
>>
>> Not good.
>>
> It's actually a rather sad end to a tale.
>
> A rather nice open-source project was attempted to be commercialized.
>
> Failed.
>
> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>
> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird? Hmm.
> They seem to have legs and a following.
>
> Gotta wonder who's leading all this and if their butt and brain are
> interconnected or not.
>
> Anytime an organization ignores and abandons a passionate following
> because some marketing genius says it should, well, that's time for a
> requiem. I am a marketing "genius" ... or so some said many years ago.
> So, my take is that Mozilla is a total mess.
>
> No identity, confused identity, no marketibility, confused brand,
> confused direction ... need I go on?
>
> Well, and, so what?  It's not really even a company, eh?  There's no
> product, it's product is free, and that's not a product.
>
> Oh, geez, whatever.

Ed, could you have gotten it wrong?? When you typed "Gotta wonder who's
leading all this and if their butt and brain are interconnected or
not.", did you really mean to type "Gotta wonder who's leading all this
and if their butt and brain are *interchanged* or not."

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.40 Build identifier: 20160120202951
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Terry
On 5/20/2016 2:19 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 5/19/2016 3:08 PM:
>> On 5/13/2016 12:15 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
> <snip />
>
>> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I opened
>> it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply placed your
>> email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>>
>> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
>> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
>> address.
>>
>> Per:
>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
>> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.
>>
> As you can see from my headers, I use TB 2.0.0.24 for newsgroups. I
> stopped installing the new versions once Mozilla ended "Complete Themes"
> which gave me reason to install the newer versions since I had several
> themes to test.
>
> Anyway, I would think TB 45 UI would be the same as always, i.e.,
> clicking the "Reply" toolbar button or selecting the context menu item,
> "Reply to Newsgroup"?

No, it was changed at some point. What version specifically, I don't
know.  Clicking Reply now replies to the person who posted.  There isn't
a "Reply to Newsgroup" as the menu reference link states.  Followup is
how to reply now.  After using this version (TB3Pre) for so many years,
it's quite a change.  I have no reason to use newer versions of TB at
all, except when someone writes in to the Mozilla webmaster asking a
question.

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>
> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird?
> Hmm. They seem to have legs and a following.

That makes it sound as if you believe SeaMonkey is more "relevant" than
Mozilla's Firefox.  Do you?

On 05/21/2016 08:11 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
>> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>>
>> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird?
>> Hmm. They seem to have legs and a following.
> That makes it sound as if you believe SeaMonkey is more "relevant" than
> Mozilla's Firefox.  Do you?

With ~100,000+ users SeaMonkey is nipping at Firefox heels. 😱

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/21/2016 at 8:11 PM, »Q«'s fingers rattled off:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
>> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>>
>> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird?
>> Hmm. They seem to have legs and a following.
>
> That makes it sound as if you believe SeaMonkey is more "relevant" than
> Mozilla's Firefox.  Do you?

Yes, based on perceived loyalty of users.  That was the intent of my
remarks.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/21/2016 at 8:30 AM, Daniel's fingers rattled off:

> On 20/05/2016 10:47 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> On 5/13/2016 at 3:15 PM, Sailfish's fingers rattled off:
>>> REF:
>>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3069574/security/mozilla-wants-us-to-disclose-to-it-first-any-vulnerability-found-in-tor.html
>>>

>>> Mini-Me REF: http://tinyurl.com/hufcms7
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> Mozilla says it wants to check if the vulnerable code is found in
>>> Firefox code
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Not good.
>>>
>> It's actually a rather sad end to a tale.
>>
>> A rather nice open-source project was attempted to be commercialized.
>>
>> Failed.
>>
>> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
>> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>>
>> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird? Hmm.
>> They seem to have legs and a following.
>>
>> Gotta wonder who's leading all this and if their butt and brain are
>> interconnected or not.
>>
>> Anytime an organization ignores and abandons a passionate following
>> because some marketing genius says it should, well, that's time for a
>> requiem. I am a marketing "genius" ... or so some said many years ago.
>> So, my take is that Mozilla is a total mess.
>>
>> No identity, confused identity, no marketibility, confused brand,
>> confused direction ... need I go on?
>>
>> Well, and, so what?  It's not really even a company, eh?  There's no
>> product, it's product is free, and that's not a product.
>>
>> Oh, geez, whatever.
>
> Ed, could you have gotten it wrong?? When you typed "Gotta wonder who's
> leading all this and if their butt and brain are interconnected or
> not.", did you really mean to type "Gotta wonder who's leading all this
> and if their butt and brain are *interchanged* or not."

Yes, possibly a better take on what I was thinking.  Dunno, it just
seems all FUBAR to me.

But, what the hell, I'm still here and using the software so what does
that say about anything?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Think honk if you're telepathic.

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/21/2016 at 8:19 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:

> On 05/21/2016 08:11 PM, »Q« wrote:
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mozilla foundation and Mozilla dot com, both marginalized and largely
>>> irrelevant.  As is their software.
>>>
>>> Oh.  But the projects they abandoned?  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird?
>>> Hmm. They seem to have legs and a following.
>> That makes it sound as if you believe SeaMonkey is more "relevant" than
>> Mozilla's Firefox.  Do you?
>

> With ~100,000+ users SeaMonkey is nipping at Firefox heels. 😱

Assuming that's true then the "screw the suite concept let's build a
business on a free stand-alone browser and email client that we'll later
abandon" strategy seems, umm, a tad, err, ill-conceived from a marketing
standpoint.  And I'm a former marketing executive with Sony and LG used
to crafting such strategies.  I see an organization adrift.

There is no business here.  And they've abandoned their loyal user base.

If there is a strategy there I fail to see it either in execution or in
stated materials on the organizations' Web sites.  Either a total
mystery or a total cock up or both.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Mozilla wants U.S. to disclose to it first any vulnerability found in Tor

B00ze
On 2016-05-21 17:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 5/20/2016 2:19 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 5/19/2016 3:08 PM:
>>> On 5/13/2016 12:15 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>>
>> <snip />
>>
>>> A user had a question about the current version of TB (45). So I opened
>>> it and was going to reply to this post, but clicking Reply placed your
>>> email in the To: box. Not the newsgroup.
>>>
>>> How does new versions of TB work for newsgroup replying now?  The only
>>> method I found was to click Reply All and then remove the Sender email
>>> address.
>>>
>>> Per:
>>> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/menu-reference
>>> there is no "Reply to Newsgroup" that I've found.
>>>
>> As you can see from my headers, I use TB 2.0.0.24 for newsgroups. I
>> stopped installing the new versions once Mozilla ended "Complete Themes"
>> which gave me reason to install the newer versions since I had several
>> themes to test.
>>
>> Anyway, I would think TB 45 UI would be the same as always, i.e.,
>> clicking the "Reply" toolbar button or selecting the context menu item,
>> "Reply to Newsgroup"?
>>

> No, it was changed at some point. What version specifically, I don't
> know.  Clicking Reply now replies to the person who posted.  There isn't
> a "Reply to Newsgroup" as the menu reference link states.  Followup is
> how to reply now.  After using this version (TB3Pre) for so many years,
> it's quite a change.  I have no reason to use newer versions of TB at
> all, except when someone writes in to the Mozilla webmaster asking a
> question.

It must've been changed recently, because I use TB24 and clicking the
reply button in the toolbar replies to the newsgroup, not to the sender.
If they changed it I will be very disappointed, my muscle memory is 100%
trained to use the toolbar button everywhere...

! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Experience: Something you get just after you need it.

[hidden email] wrote on 5/21/2016 2:53 PM:
> On 5/20/2016 2:19 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

<snip />

>> Anyway, I would think TB 45 UI would be the same as always, i.e.,
>> clicking the "Reply" toolbar button or selecting the context menu item,
>> "Reply to Newsgroup"?
>>

> No, it was changed at some point. What version specifically, I don't
> know.  Clicking Reply now replies to the person who posted.  There isn't
> a "Reply to Newsgroup" as the menu reference link states.  Followup is
> how to reply now.  After using this version (TB3Pre) for so many years,
> it's quite a change.  I have no reason to use newer versions of TB at
> all, except when someone writes in to the Mozilla webmaster asking a
> question.

I just installed TB 45.0 and while the "Reply" button wasn't shown, I
was able to add it using the Customize feature. As you can see from this
reply, it worked as it always had as soon as I pressed Reply to respond
to your message.

Dunno?

--
Sailfish