Mozilla is evil!

Lucifer Morningstar
Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
broken version by poping up a message which says
Your Firefox is critically out of date.
An update is required to stay secure.
And there is a button like [Update Now]
Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Good Guy-2
On 23/01/2018 04:24, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
> Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
> broken version by poping up a message which says
> Your Firefox is critically out of date.
> An update is required to stay secure.
> And there is a button like [Update Now]
> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
> Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.

Please ESR release to solve your problem:

https://i.imgur.com/KB7lEfa.png <https://i.imgur.com/KB7lEfa.png>

ESR stands for Extended Support Release that is mainly for Corporates
but there is nothing to stop you from using it.

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Poutnik-2
Dne 23/01/2018 v 06:54 Good Guy napsal(a):

> Please ESR release to solve your problem:
>
> ESR stands for Extended Support Release that is mainly for Corporates
> but there is nothing to stop you from using it.

Until early June when a new major FF ESR comes.
Then one will have either finally jump either stop updating.

But it definitely saves some time to decide what path to take.

--
Poutnik

Re: Mozilla is evil!

On 01/22/2018 08:24 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
> Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
> broken version by poping up a message which says
> Your Firefox is critically out of date.
> An update is required to stay secure.
> And there is a button like [Update Now]
> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
> Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.

Just a thought.  I have installed the latest 58 beta on a
few customer sites and it has worked marvelous.

You can try it from:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/58.0b9/

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Hartdonor
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:24:31 +1100, in mozilla.general, Lucifer
Morningstar wrote:

>Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
>to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
>Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
>broken version by poping up a message which says
>Your Firefox is critically out of date.
>An update is required to stay secure.
>And there is a button like [Update Now]
>Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.

Because 57.0.4 has the Spectre mitigation built in. 56 doesn't.

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

Re: Mozilla is evil!

tanstaafl-2
On Mon Jan 22 2018 23:24:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.

Please stop with the scare mongering. It isn't unusable, but it does no
longer support legacy Addons, but this has been well publicized.

> Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
> broken version by poping up a message which says
> Your Firefox is critically out of date.

It isn't a trick, but yeah, probably over hyped.

> An update is required to stay secure.
> And there is a button like [Update Now]

Oh my god, a BUTTON!?!?!?!?!? What evil, diabolical bastards!

> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?

It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and dropped
support for much older (some say ancient) technology.

I for one am not happy about the loss of many of my Addons, and think
that Mozilla has made some very poor decision with respect to what APIs
they will (and will not) provide, thus sending a death knell to certain
Addons (Classic Theme Restorer, Status-4-Evar, Tab Mix Plus, etc).

On the other hand, it is much faster, and I was surprised to find that I
actually didn't need to do as much customizing to get it to look the way
I want as I feared, so am hopeful that things will only get better.

> Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.
No, and not at all - unless maybe you are incapable of internet searches
and/or totally lacking in any reading/comprehension skills.

Re: Mozilla is evil!

NFN Smith
Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Mon Jan 22 2018 23:24:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
> Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
>> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.

Unusable because the change of UI and extension API, or that you found
57 to not work well for you? If the latter, that's something that
happens to some number of people with nearly update -- however, my
experience is that problems following upgrades are nearly always related
to the individual user profile (i.e., a data problem) than any thing
more general to Firefox. Personally, I maintain a separate user profile
that is almost entirely default settings, and if I'm having problems, I
will restart Firefox with that profile. I can't remember a time when
checking things with that profile has had problems.

> Please stop with the scare mongering. It isn't unusable, but it does no
> longer support legacy Addons, but this has been well publicized.

It may be unusable for the OP, but as noted, very likely a problem with
the individual profile.

>> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>
> It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and dropped
> support for much older (some say ancient) technology.

And as much as we might wish otherwise, technology doesn't stand still.
There may be some place for "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it", but
in a competitive environment, sometimes it's "change or die". A lot has
been made of how much Mozilla may be chasing after Google, but the fact
of the matter is that for a majority of users Chrome has become the
normal browser, and Chrome's market share of users is where Internet
Explorer was, only a few years ago. Firefox has a lot going for it, but
not enough where it's going to be compelling to convince very many
people to abandon Chrome.  And the market share is small enough to be
bordering on insignificant.  I don't like that either, but that's the
reality.

> I for one am not happy about the loss of many of my Addons, and think
> that Mozilla has made some very poor decision with respect to what APIs
> they will (and will not) provide, thus sending a death knell to certain
> Addons (Classic Theme Restorer, Status-4-Evar, Tab Mix Plus, etc).

Agreed. I'm disappointed with loss of other extensions. However, ESR is
still an option (at least for another few months), as are other forks,
including Seamonkey, Palemoon, Cyberfox, etc.

> On the other hand, it is much faster, and I was surprised to find that I
> actually didn't need to do as much customizing to get it to look the way
> I want as I feared, so am hopeful that things will only get better.

I've noticed the same thing -- both speed, and that tuning of appearance
and behavior aren't as much as I had feared.  I've been running betas in
a virtual machine, and I have a testing profile that I configured in FF
56, with all my preferred extensions.  The beta allowed me to test a
bare installation of FF57 before release, and when I upgraded the
testing profile, it allowed me to track what extensions stopped working.

As a general thing, it's not a good idea to get too wedded to any
specific extension.  Although there's definitely extensions that are
unique, I've found that over the years, there's often multiple
extensions that have similar function.  Thus, if one dies, there is
often a way of finding another extension as a replacement, even if the
look-and-feel are different, and don't have the comfort or familiarity
that I prefer.  For me, using Seamonkey as my primary browser, I do have
the luxury of keeping the Firefox updates at arm's length, but I've
found that my primary Firefox profile has most of the functionality of
what I do with Seamonkey or Firefox prior to upgrade to v 57.

Smith

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Wolf K.
On 2018-01-23 12:31, NFN Smith wrote:

> Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On Mon Jan 22 2018 23:24:31 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
>> Morningstar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
>>> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
>
> Unusable because the change of UI and extension API, or that you found
> 57 to not work well for you? If the latter, that's something that
> happens to some number of people with nearly update -- however, my
> experience is that problems following upgrades are nearly always related
> to the individual user profile (i.e., a data problem) than any thing
> more general to Firefox. Personally, I maintain a separate user profile
> that is almost entirely default settings, and if I'm having problems, I
> will restart Firefox with that profile. I can't remember a time when
> checking things with that profile has had problems.
[etc]

Almost as frequent an issue is obsolescent hardware and/or OS

Judging from the plaintive pleas for help from people who are still
running on Windows XP or Vista, or some rare and quirky Linux distro.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Mozilla is evil!

WaltS48-8
On 1/22/18 11:24 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
> Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
> broken version by poping up a message which says
> Your Firefox is critically out of date.
> An update is required to stay secure.
> And there is a button like [Update Now]
> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
> Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.

Yes they are. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVid_fLzN5g

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Hartdonor graced us with on
1/22/2018 11:58 PM:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 15:24:31 +1100, in mozilla.general, Lucifer
> Morningstar wrote:
>
>> Like many others I had to revert back to 56 and set it
>> to never update since 57 is mostly unusable.
>> Now Mozilla are trying to trick me into installing their
>> broken version by poping up a message which says
>> Your Firefox is critically out of date.
>> An update is required to stay secure.
>> And there is a button like [Update Now]
>> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>> Is there a backdoor in it. Very suspicious.
>
> Because 57.0.4 has the Spectre mitigation built in. 56 doesn't.

Today's 56ESR update added it, more at:

REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2018-01/

[excerpt quote=\"
Speculative execution side-channel attack ("Spectre")
\" /]

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla is evil!

PietB-2
Tanstaafl wrote:
> Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>
> It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and
> dropped support for much older (some say ancient) technology.

Would do great as a Trump tweet.

-p

Re: Mozilla is evil!

tanstaafl-2
On 1/24/2018, 12:52:07 PM, PietB <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>>> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>>
>> It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and
>> dropped support for much older (some say ancient) technology.
>
> Would do great as a Trump tweet.

I guess that'd depend on the context...

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Desiree-11
On 1/22/2018 8:30 PM, Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 23/01/2018 v 06:54 Good Guy napsal(a):
>>
>> Please ESR release to solve your problem:
>>
>> ESR stands for Extended Support Release that is mainly for Corporates
>> but there is nothing to stop you from using it.
>>
> Until early June when a new major FF ESR comes.
> Then one will have either finally jump either stop updating.
>
> But it definitely saves some time to decide what path to take.

No, we have until August 28 before Fx 52.x ESR reaches end of life. On
August 29, Mozilla will offer/install the new version Fx 60.1.0 ESR via
internal push.  You cannot get the new version until then (unless you
don't use internal updating of Fx).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Lucifer Morningstar
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 18:52:07 +0100, PietB
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

>Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>>> Why do Mozilla want people to run a flawed version of Firefox?
>>
>> It isn't flawed, it is introducing brand new technology, and
>> dropped support for much older (some say ancient) technology.
>
>Would do great as a Trump tweet.

"The NBN is fit for purpose.

>-p

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Arnie Goetchius
Desiree wrote:

> On 1/22/2018 8:30 PM, Poutnik wrote:
>> Dne 23/01/2018 v 06:54 Good Guy napsal(a):
>>>
>>> Please ESR release to solve your problem:
>>>
>>> ESR stands for Extended Support Release that is mainly for Corporates
>>> but there is nothing to stop you from using it.
>>>
>> Until early June when a new major FF ESR comes.
>> Then one will have either finally jump either stop updating.
>>
>> But it definitely saves some time to decide what path to take.
>>

> No, we have until August 28 before Fx 52.x ESR reaches end of life. On August 29, Mozilla will
> offer/install the new version Fx 60.1.0 ESR via internal push.  You cannot get the new version until
> then (unless you don't use internal updating of Fx).
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Will I be able to refuse the "offer/install the new version.." ?

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Good Guy-2
On 29/01/2018 01:38, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
> Will I be able to refuse the "offer/install the new version.." ?

Automatic updates have always been non mandatory.  You can switch off
Automatic updates and you won't be asked to update when new updates are
available.  However, you can always update any apps by downloading the
full installer for that app and install with it. Your old settings will
be preserved when you do manual update.

I have always done manual updates.  I like to have full control of what
updates I should install and what not.

Re: Mozilla is evil!

Wolf K.
On 2018-01-28 20:38, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

> Desiree wrote:

>>> Until early June when a new major FF ESR comes.
>>> Then one will have either finally jump either stop updating.
>>>
>>> But it definitely saves some time to decide what path to take.
>>>

>> No, we have until August 28 before Fx 52.x ESR reaches end of life. On August 29, Mozilla will
>> offer/install the new version Fx 60.1.0 ESR via internal push.  You cannot get the new version until
>> then (unless you don't use internal updating of Fx).
>>
>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
>>
> Will I be able to refuse the "offer/install the new version.." ?

Yes. Block automatic updates:

Menu Bar - Tools - Options - Advanced - Updates - select either "Never
check ..." or "Check but let me choose".

You can download the new (or any) version separately without installing
it. You'll have the install package in your downloads folder, is all.

HTH

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com