Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
REF:
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/

[excerpt quote="
Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
(expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
" /]

Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Peter Holsberg
Sailfish has written on 10/13/2012 2:08 PM:

> REF:
> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
> " /]
>
> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

I think you misunderstand. FF will block outdated plugins, urging you to
upgrade!

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

WaltS-3
On 10/13/2012 02:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
> " /]
>
> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

Makes me want to install some "old versions" just to see how it works.

I did enable the "plugin.click-to-play" pref, it can get annoying, but
once set for a site you don't have to do it again.

Nice feature for pages you don't regularly browse, and want to enable
for one time only viewing.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit)
KDE 4.9.2

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Peter Holsberg graced us with on
10/13/2012 11:16 AM:

> Sailfish has written on 10/13/2012 2:08 PM:
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>
> I think you misunderstand. FF will block outdated plugins, urging you to
> upgrade!

Nope. By placing Adobe on the "click-to-play blocklisted plugins" list,
they are essentially labeling them as nominally unsafe plugins. Not as
"in you face" as what Jobs did with iOS but telling just the same.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

RAV-2
On 10/13/2012 2:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Peter Holsberg graced us with on
> 10/13/2012 11:16 AM:
>> Sailfish has written on 10/13/2012 2:08 PM:
>>> REF:
>>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today,
>>> the organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out
>>> the feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and
>>> Linux.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>
>> I think you misunderstand. FF will block outdated plugins, urging you to
>> upgrade!
>>
> Nope. By placing Adobe on the "click-to-play blocklisted plugins" list,
> they are essentially labeling them as nominally unsafe plugins. Not as
> "in you face" as what Jobs did with iOS but telling just the same.

I think I agree with Pete.  Since it says "OLD versions of Adobe Reader,
Adobe Flash, and Microsoft Silverlight" (emphasis mine), doesn't it mean
they're labeling OLD versions of their plugins as unsafe?  That doesn't
imply to me that their plugins are (in general) unsafe.  It's not any
different than prompting users with old versions of Firefox, i.e. those
missing the latest security patches.

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 10/13/2012
11:32 AM:

> On 10/13/2012 02:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>

> Makes me want to install some "old versions" just to see how it works.
>
> I did enable the "plugin.click-to-play" pref, it can get annoying, but
> once set for a site you don't have to do it again.
>
> Nice feature for pages you don't regularly browse, and want to enable
> for one time only viewing.

I played with that setting awhile back but ended up restoring to a
previous profile when Fx ended up corrupting that profile. Note: I never
actually confirmed that making that setting is what caused the profile
to become corrupted but decided that, while I liked the functionality, I
didn't have the time to go through the effort required to isolate the
real culprit.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 10/13/2012
11:48 AM:

> On 10/13/2012 2:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Peter Holsberg graced us with on
>> 10/13/2012 11:16 AM:
>>> Sailfish has written on 10/13/2012 2:08 PM:

>>> I think you misunderstand. FF will block outdated plugins, urging you to
>>> upgrade!
>>>
>> Nope. By placing Adobe on the "click-to-play blocklisted plugins" list,
>> they are essentially labeling them as nominally unsafe plugins. Not as
>> "in you face" as what Jobs did with iOS but telling just the same.
>
> I think I agree with Pete.  Since it says "OLD versions of Adobe Reader,
> Adobe Flash, and Microsoft Silverlight" (emphasis mine), doesn't it mean
> they're labeling OLD versions of their plugins as unsafe?  That doesn't
> imply to me that their plugins are (in general) unsafe.  It's not any
> different than prompting users with old versions of Firefox, i.e. those
> missing the latest security patches.

And I will defend to the death your right to do so :_)

The thing is, though, very few plugins are on that list.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Ron Hunter
On 10/13/2012 1:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>

> [excerpt quote="
> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
> " /]
>
> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

Must be something you have to turn on because I haven't seen it in FF 17
Beta.  Runs Flash just like the older versions.

On 10/13/2012 1:32 PM, WaltS wrote:

> On 10/13/2012 02:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>

> Makes me want to install some "old versions" just to see how it works.
>
> I did enable the "plugin.click-to-play" pref, it can get annoying, but
> once set for a site you don't have to do it again.
>
> Nice feature for pages you don't regularly browse, and want to enable
> for one time only viewing.

I use Flashblock, but if it is going to be built in, that's better.

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
10/13/2012 5:45 PM:

> On 10/13/2012 1:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>
> Must be something you have to turn on because I haven't seen it in FF 17
> Beta.  Runs Flash just like the older versions.

As I understand it, it will block it if it detects that the installed
version is out-of-date.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Tarkus-4
On 10/13/2012 11:32 AM, WaltS wrote:
> I did enable the "plugin.click-to-play" pref, it can get annoying, but
> once set for a site you don't have to do it again.
>
> Nice feature for pages you don't regularly browse, and want to enable
> for one time only viewing.

I've had click to play enabled in Chrome for some time.  Glad to see it
make its way to Firefox.

On 10/13/2012 8:15 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 10/13/2012 5:45 PM:
>> On 10/13/2012 1:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF:
>>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>>
>> Must be something you have to turn on because I haven't seen it in FF
>> 17 Beta.  Runs Flash just like the older versions.
>>
> As I understand it, it will block it if it detects that the installed
> version is out-of-date.

Does it offer to download the current version?

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
10/14/2012 12:22 AM:

> On 10/13/2012 8:15 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Must be something you have to turn on because I haven't seen it in FF
>>> 17 Beta.  Runs Flash just like the older versions.
>>>
>> As I understand it, it will block it if it detects that the installed
>> version is out-of-date.
>>
> Does it offer to download the current version?

I haven't had to test it yet but from the images in the article, it
appears that it does.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

F1Com
On 10/13/2012 11:08 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> REF:
> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
> " /]
>
> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"

I'm not sure which will frustrate users from Firefox more, the above in
v17, or the current Plugin Check page coming up every time they open
Firefox, which has been really upsetting users.

Terry

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

F1Com
On 10/14/2012 12:22 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard

> On 10/13/2012 8:15 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Must be something you have to turn on because I haven't seen it in FF
>>> 17 Beta.  Runs Flash just like the older versions.
>>>
>> As I understand it, it will block it if it detects that the installed
>> version is out-of-date.
>>
> Does it offer to download the current version?

Which opens a whole new can of worms if users don't watch what is being
offered.  "Hey!  How did McAfee or ASK or this or that wind up on my
computer?"

Terry

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 10/15/2012 12:45 PM:

> On 10/13/2012 11:08 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>
> I'm not sure which will frustrate users from Firefox more, the above in
> v17, or the current Plugin Check page coming up every time they open
> Firefox, which has been really upsetting users.

It's as though Apple+Google have conspired with Adobe to make life
miserable for Fx users. Okay, that's a little tinfoil hat-ish to take
seriously but ...

still =)

On 10/15/2012 2:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/13/2012 11:08 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work. Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>

> I'm not sure which will frustrate users from Firefox more, the above in
> v17, or the current Plugin Check page coming up every time they open
> Firefox, which has been really upsetting users.
>

> Terry
Huh?
   Haven't seen that.
But then MY plugins ARE current.

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Dave Warren-2
In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] said:

>Which opens a whole new can of worms if users don't watch what is being
>offered.  "Hey!  How did McAfee or ASK or this or that wind up on my
>computer?"

Engage brain before operating the admin account.

I know, I know... But I can dream.

On 10/15/2012 10:35 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] said:
>
>> Which opens a whole new can of worms if users don't watch what is being
>> offered.  "Hey!  How did McAfee or ASK or this or that wind up on my
>> computer?"
>
> Engage brain before operating the admin account.
>
> I know, I know... But I can dream.

Some installs, just insist on installing things even if you tell them
NOT to.  I have gotten into the habit of going to the 'Programs and
Features' application and checking what 'extras' were installed when I
install something these days.  I REALLY feel that installing something
on my computer without my knowledge and consent should be a federal
crime.  It IS illegal in Texas, but I have never heard of anyone being
charged under the law.

Re: Mozilla details how old Adobe Reader, Flash, and Silverlight plugins will be blocked in Firefox 17

Ann Watson-4
On 15/10/2012 3:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 10/13/2012 11:08 AM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
>> REF:
>> http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/12/mozilla-details-how-old-adobe-reader-flash-and-silverlight-plugins-will-be-blocked-in-firefox-17/
>>

>> [excerpt quote="
>> Last week, Mozilla announced it will prompt Firefox users on
>> Windows
>> with old versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, and Microsoft
>> Silverlight, but refused to detail how the system will work.
>> Today, the
>> organization unveiled “click-to-play plugin blocks” will be on by
>> default in Firefox 17, starting with the three aforementioned
>> plugins
>> (expect more to be added eventually). Furthermore, you can try
>> out the
>> feature for yourself now in Firefox 17 beta for Windows, Mac,
>> and Linux.
>> " /]
>>
>> Mozilla to Adobe, "No more Mr. Nice Guy!"
>>

> I'm not sure which will frustrate users from Firefox more, the
> above in v17, or the current Plugin Check page coming up every
> time they open Firefox, which has been really upsetting users.

Haven't seen that with Beta 1.  My plug-ins must be up-to-date!

AW