Mozilla and UUAG compliance

Frank Hecker-2
Scott Rippon left the following comment on my blog post about the
high-level accessibility strategy: "How does Firefox rate against the
W3C User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0? Should compliance with
these guidelines be in the strategy? Is Mozilla participating in the
development of the UAAG 2.0?"

Could any of you comment on this?

Frank

--
Frank Hecker

Re: Mozilla and UUAG compliance

David Bolter
As far as I know, Mozilla is not actively participating in the
development of the UAAG 2.0.  While at CSUN I spoke with James Allan and
Jeanne Spellman from the W3C, along with other browser developers, and
there are concerns over the 'do-ability' of the specification as it
currently stands.  We should and hopefully will provide more feedback to
the UAAG group soon... but with WAI-ARIA, and other FF accessibility
development, UAAG participation/feedback might fall by the wayside.

I don't know how FF rates relative to other browsers in terms of UAAG 1.0

David

On 4/21/09 9:06 AM, Frank Hecker wrote:

> Scott Rippon left the following comment on my blog post about the
> high-level accessibility strategy: "How does Firefox rate against the
> W3C User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0? Should compliance with
> these guidelines be in the strategy? Is Mozilla participating in the
> development of the UAAG 2.0?"
>
> Could any of you comment on this?
>
> Frank

Re: Mozilla and UUAG compliance

Gunderson, Jon R
One of the goals of the Firefox Accessibility Extension was to add the UAAG 1.0 required features to Firefox.

I never did a formal review of FF + Firefox Accessibility Extension against UAAG 1.0, but I believe most requirements are satisfied when used in conjunctions with the accessibility extenison.

http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu

There may be also be other extensions that also support compliance with UAAG, like Firevox.

Jon

>As far as I know, Mozilla is not actively participating in the
>development of the UAAG 2.0.  While at CSUN I spoke with James Allan and
>Jeanne Spellman from the W3C, along with other browser developers, and
>there are concerns over the 'do-ability' of the specification as it
>currently stands.  We should and hopefully will provide more feedback to
>the UAAG group soon... but with WAI-ARIA, and other FF accessibility
>development, UAAG participation/feedback might fall by the wayside.
>
>I don't know how FF rates relative to other browsers in terms of UAAG 1.0
>
>David
>
>On 4/21/09 9:06 AM, Frank Hecker wrote:
>> Scott Rippon left the following comment on my blog post about the
>> high-level accessibility strategy: "How does Firefox rate against the
>> W3C User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0? Should compliance with
>> these guidelines be in the strategy? Is Mozilla participating in the
>> development of the UAAG 2.0?"
>>
>> Could any of you comment on this?
>>
>> Frank

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D.
Coordinator Information Technology Accessibility
Disability Resources and Educational Services

Rehabilitation Education Center
Room 86
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, Illinois 61821

Voice: (217) 244-5870

WWW: http://www.cita.uiuc.edu/
WWW: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jongund/www/

Re: Mozilla and UUAG compliance

David Bolter
Jon, excellent point!

Want to do a review?

On 4/21/09 2:13 PM, Jon Gunderson wrote:

> One of the goals of the Firefox Accessibility Extension was to add the UAAG 1.0 required features to Firefox.
>
> I never did a formal review of FF + Firefox Accessibility Extension against UAAG 1.0, but I believe most requirements are satisfied when used in conjunctions with the accessibility extenison.
>
> http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu
>
> There may be also be other extensions that also support compliance with UAAG, like Firevox.
>
> Jon

Sure it is something I have been meaning to do for awhile.

What do you have in mind?  Where would you see the conformance claim being posted?

Jon

>   On 4/21/09 2:13 PM, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
> One of the goals of the Firefox Accessibility Extension was to add the UAAG 1.0 required features to Firefox.
>
> I never did a formal review of FF + Firefox Accessibility Extension against UAAG 1.0, but I believe most requirements are satisfied when used in conjunctions with the accessibility extenison.
>
> http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu
>
> There may be also be other extensions that also support compliance with UAAG, like Firevox.
>
> Jon

I imagine you could put something on the extension page at uiuc, and we
could blog about it, maybe write an e-zine article etc.

The whole customization via extension angle is interesting to me.  I
think the customizability of the FF platform is something that could
breath life into efforts like Raising The Floor.

On 4/22/09 9:42 AM, Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Sure it is something I have been meaning to do for awhile.
>
> What do you have in mind?  Where would you see the conformance claim being posted?
>
> Jon

Jim Allan-3
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Jim Allan, Co-Chair W3C-WAI User Agent Working Group

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/

I imagine you could put something on the extension page at uiuc, and we
could blog about it, maybe write an e-zine article etc.

The whole customization via extension angle is interesting to me.  I
think the customizability of the FF platform is something that could
breath life into efforts like Raising The Floor.

On 4/22/09 9:42 AM, Jon Gunderson wrote:
> Sure it is something I have been meaning to do for awhile.
>
> What do you have in mind?  Where would you see the conformance claim being
posted?

> Jon

Peter Korn-2
Jim, Jon, David, gang,

I think, in addition to a review of Mozilla's support for UAAG, it would
be interesting to have a proactive review of Mozilla's support for the
TEITAC report recommendations (see
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/report/).

One of the issues we specifically worked through in TEITAC the "platform
on a platform" situation (or the "app that is a platform, running on
another platform") - precisely what Mozilla is when it is used to run
web apps that implement ARIA.  (in fact, web browsers are one of the
key/critical "platform on a platform" cases).

Please see recommendation provision 3-V "Accessibility Services" within
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/report/#653 and also 3-U
"AT-Interoperability" within
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/refresh/report/#653

Excerpted from 3-V is the text: "Software toolkits, and applications
that are also platforms, must support the 3-U: AT Interoperability and
3-P: User Interface Components provisions by either making the
underlying PLATFORM ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES available to their client
software, OR using OTHER SERVICES TO COOPERATE WITH ASSISTIVE
TECHNOLOGIES on the underlying platform."

To my mind, Mozilla running on UNIX does this by translating ARIA to the
GNOME accessibility API.  I would also say Mozilla does this when
running on Windows by translating ARIA to IAccessible2 (as IAccessible2
is another accessibility service used "to cooperate with assistive
technologies" on the Windows platform).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.