Mozilla Web Things

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mozilla Web Things

WaltS48-9
> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.

REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>

I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/18/2019
10:23 AM:

>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now on
>> will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>
> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>
> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>
#heh

Let alone that none of them are connected to my brain implants :_)

--
Sailfish
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

PietB-2
Sailfish wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>
>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
>> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>
> #heh
>
> Let alone that none of them are connected to my brain implants :_)

That might be an advantage. :-D

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Wolf K.
On 2019-04-18 15:05, PietB wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>>
>>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
>>> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>>
>> #heh
>>
>> Let alone that none of them are connected to my brain implants :_)
>
> That might be an advantage. :-D
>
> -p

Oh, I don't know. It would be nice to get jolts of electricity tuned to
the frequencies that will calm you down and convince you that you're
living in the best of all possible universes.

No?

To get serious for a moment, I cannot fathom why people would want a
device in their homes that hears everything they say.


--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
You are who you intend to be. (Kurt Vonnegut)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Cows are Nice
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
On 04/18/2019 10:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>>  development and seven quarterly software updates that have
>> generated significant interest from the developer & maker
>> community, Project Things is graduating from its early experimental
>> phase and from now on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>
> REF:
> <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>
> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my
> coffee maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other
> things.

I could be enjoying a water heater on the internet right now, but I blew
it and bought the cheapest one Home Depot had.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Sailfish-4
In reply to this post by Wolf K.
My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K graced us with on 4/18/2019
1:44 PM:

> On 2019-04-18 15:05, PietB wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>>>
>>>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
>>>> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>>>
>>> #heh
>>>
>>> Let alone that none of them are connected to my brain implants :_)
>>
>> That might be an advantage. :-D
>>
>> -p
>
> Oh, I don't know. It would be nice to get jolts of electricity tuned to
> the frequencies that will calm you down and convince you that you're
> living in the best of all possible universes.
>
> No?
>
Someone is extrapolating on Candide, meThinks :_)

> To get serious for a moment, I cannot fathom why people would want a
> device in their homes that hears everything they say.
>
and let's not discount the body noises.

--
Sailfish
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Frank-32
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
On 4/18/2019 1:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now on
>> will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>
> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>
> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>

I noted this Oral B toothbrush the other day:

https://oralb.com/en-us/products/electric-toothbrushes/genius-9600-electric-toothbrush-with-bluetooth

You can Bluetooth it to your smart phone to get optimum brushing as
recommended by your dentist.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

The Real Bev
On 04/19/2019 10:32 AM, Frank wrote:

> On 4/18/2019 1:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now on
>>> will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>>
>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>
>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
>> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>
> I noted this Oral B toothbrush the other day:
>
> https://oralb.com/en-us/products/electric-toothbrushes/genius-9600-electric-toothbrush-with-bluetooth
>
> You can Bluetooth it to your smart phone to get optimum brushing as
> recommended by your dentist.

Is there a safety warning in 6 languages?

At what point do we start to need dotted quints?  Or maybe we should
just go directly to sexts.


--
Cheers, Bev
  "Look again at that dot.  That's here.  That's home.  That's us.  On it
   everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every
   human being who ever was, lived out their lives."         -- Carl Sagan

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

WaltS48-9
In reply to this post by Frank-32
On 4/19/19 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

> On 4/18/2019 1:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now
>>> on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>>
>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>
>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my
>> coffee maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>>
>
> I noted this Oral B toothbrush the other day:
>
> https://oralb.com/en-us/products/electric-toothbrushes/genius-9600-electric-toothbrush-with-bluetooth 
>
>
> You can Bluetooth it to your smart phone to get optimum brushing as
> recommended by your dentist.

Genius!

I'm a slacker at flossing.

Just got a new dentist at my last visit. The previous one retired.

There also seems to be a new hygienist at every appointment.

I miss the stability of having one that knows my teeth and bad habits.

--
OS: Linux Mint 19.1 - Cinnamon Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Frank-32
On 4/19/2019 4:25 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/19/19 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On 4/18/2019 1:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>>>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>>>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>>>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now
>>>> on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>>>
>>> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>>>
>>> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my
>>> coffee maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>>>
>>
>> I noted this Oral B toothbrush the other day:
>>
>> https://oralb.com/en-us/products/electric-toothbrushes/genius-9600-electric-toothbrush-with-bluetooth 
>>
>>
>> You can Bluetooth it to your smart phone to get optimum brushing as
>> recommended by your dentist.
>
> Genius!
>
> I'm a slacker at flossing.
>
> Just got a new dentist at my last visit. The previous one retired.
>
> There also seems to be a new hygienist at every appointment.
>
> I miss the stability of having one that knows my teeth and bad habits.
>
This was the discussion that had me look up the toothbrush:
(Steve has a dental practice in NYC)

"> At my last dental cleaning, the dental hygienist felt that
 > my gum recession (I am 49 years old) was caused by pressing
 > too hard with my SoniCare toothbrush, which I have been using
 > for about ten years now.
 >
 > He felt my gum recession was NOT due to bruxism, or grinding
 > of the teeth while sleeping, because my back molars have peaks
 > which were not worn down very much.  So at most, I am a light
 > grinder.
 >
 > He also didn't think it was likely that my gum recession was
 > due to genetics, and he stated that it was possible I could
 > keep the gums that I still have, if I simply brushed with my
 > SoniCare very lightly, using no more than the weight of the
 > brush, for the amount of pressure into the gums.
 >
 > But what about not brushing twice a day?  How about only brushing
 > once a day?  Would this possibly help me?
 >
 > Thanks for any good advice!
 >
 >

Brushing with correct technique is a better option than brushing less
often.  From the point of view of periodontal disease, brushing and
flossing once a day MAY be adequate.  For someone with a lot of decay,
it is ideal to brush and floss whenever you eat.
What the hygienist SHOULD have volunteered is to tell you to come into
the office with your Sonicare and watch you brush, and give a critique.
It is less likely you will destroy your gums with a Sonicare than with a
regular manual toothbrush.  It may be useful to get a disclosing
solution and brush only until the stain is gone.  That way you will see
the minimum amount of time/pressure required to remove the stain (and
hence the plaque).
I have seen gum recession (and other periodontal issues) that seem to
run in families.  For the vast majority of these, there has been to my
knowledge any direct genetic link.  There is no way to parse whether it
is genetics, environment, diet, oral hygiene habits, bruxism etc. that
may be responsible--and  therefore no way to say that they are NOT
responsible.

Steve"

When I posted the brush to the group, this was Steve's response:

"With all that tech it should vacuum your floors too.

Steve "
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

PietB-2
Frank wrote:
> When I posted the brush to the group, this was Steve's response:
> "With all that tech it should vacuum your floors too.

With the right app it might do so. Try this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amikulich.vacuumcleaner&hl=en_US

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

David E. Ross-3
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
On 4/18/2019 10:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>
> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>
> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my coffee
> maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>
I know that at least one close neighbor uses WiFi for their Internet
access.  However, I disabled WiFi on own router and modem.  Our
computers are in a wired LAN.

I had to replace the wall thermostat for my heating and cooling system
about two years ago.  At Home Depot, I had trouble finding a thermostat
that was NOT WiFi emabled.  I definitely did not want a neighbor
controlling the temperature in my house.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Why did Donald Trump demand that Hillary Clinton be locked up
in jail?  Because she used a non-government E-mail server for
government business.

Now Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump -- Trump's son-in-law and
daughter -- are using non-government E-mail servers for
government business, an excellent example of hypocrisy.

Lock up Jared and Ivanka!!
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Sailfish-4
In reply to this post by Frank-32
My bloviated meandering follows what Frank graced us with on 4/20/2019
6:45 AM:
>
> When I posted the brush to the group, this was Steve's response:
>
> "With all that tech it should vacuum your floors too.
>
> Steve "

And while we're at it, what about playing a Mr. Bubbles song while it's
gleefully cleaning the toilet bowl rim?

--
Sailfish
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Daniel-2
In reply to this post by David E. Ross-3
David E. Ross wrote on 21/04/2019 1:48 AM:

<Snip>

> I had to replace the wall thermostat for my heating and cooling system
> about two years ago.  At Home Depot, I had trouble finding a thermostat
> that was NOT WiFi emabled.  I definitely did not want a neighbor
> controlling the temperature in my house.
>
Why, David?? Don't you get on with your neighbours?? ;-P Or are they
into practical jokes??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mozilla Web Things

Brian-2
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
On 4/18/19 1:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>> The Mozilla IoT team is excited to announce that after two years of
>> development and seven quarterly software updates that have generated
>> significant interest from the developer & maker community, Project
>> Things is graduating from its early experimental phase and from now
>> on will be known as Mozilla WebThings.
>
> REF: <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2019/04/introducing-mozilla-webthings/>
>
> I'm so missing out because my refrigerator isn't connected to my
> coffee maker which isn't connected to the dishwasher and other things.
>

I spent seven years suffering HughesNet as an ISP because the only
thing I could get out here in the wilds besides dial-up was a
satellite connection. Now that they've got ADSL to me I'm getting the
*benefits* of being in a dead zone, NOTHING talks to the outside world
in this house without I connect it with a piece of Cat 6. :)

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general