Quantcast

Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

WaltS48-5
//A couple of quotes from
<https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>

> If the information released in today’s reports are accurate, then it
> proves the CIA is undermining the security of the internet – and so is
> Wikileaks.

> Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they have a
> responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to disclose the
> vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix the problem and
> protect users.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
7:41 AM:
> //A couple of quotes from
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>
>
>> Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they have a
>> responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to disclose the
>> vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix the problem and
>> protect users.

REF:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WIKILEAKS_CIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-08-15-31-08
Itsy link: http://tinyurl.com/z2bp6kt

[excerpt quote=\"
If that sharing should take place, the unusual cooperation would give
companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung and others an
opportunity to identify and repair any flaws in their software and
devices that were being exploited by U.S. spy agencies and some foreign
allies, as described in nearly 9,000 pages of secret CIA files WikiLeaks
published on Tuesday.
\" /]

The best we can hope for is that Mozilla is an "and others" company.

le sigh

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
WaltS48 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> //A couple of quotes from
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>
>

> > If the information released in today’s reports are accurate, then
> > it proves the CIA is undermining the security of the internet – and
> > so is Wikileaks.
>
> > Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they
> > have a responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to
> > disclose the vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix
> > the problem and protect users.

Tweet only a few minutes old as I type:

   The Associated Press‏ @AP

   BREAKING: Julian Assange: WikiLeaks has decided to give details of
   CIA hacking tools to tech companies .

<https://twitter.com/AP/status/839856439258726401>

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 3/9/2017 7:32 AM:

> Tweet only a few minutes old as I type:
>
>    The Associated Press‏ @AP
>
>    BREAKING: Julian Assange: WikiLeaks has decided to give details of
>    CIA hacking tools to tech companies .
>
> <https://twitter.com/AP/status/839856439258726401>

REF:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/wait-what?utm_term=.dcw7wW6p1#.krXw2Mnme

[excerpt quote=\"
Nigel Farage visited the Ecuadorian embassy in west London on Thursday,
where WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been living since he claimed
asylum in 2012.
\" /]

Hmm, unclear if there are some Ven-like overlap here but wouldn't be too
surprised to find out that there were.

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
7:41 AM:

> //A couple of quotes from
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>
>
>> If the information released in today’s reports are accurate, then it
>> proves the CIA is undermining the security of the internet – and so is
>> Wikileaks.
>
>> Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they have a
>> responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to disclose the
>> vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix the problem and
>> protect users.

REF:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html

[excerpt quote=\"
Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
update in the first place.
\" /]

Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?

--
Sailfish

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Daniel
On 16/03/2017 10:56 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
> 7:41 AM:
>> //A couple of quotes from
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>
>>
>>> If the information released in today’s reports are accurate, then it
>>> proves the CIA is undermining the security of the internet – and so
>>> is Wikileaks.
>>
>>> Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they have
>>> a responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to disclose
>>> the vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix the problem
>>> and protect users.
>>
> REF:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
> update in the first place.
> \" /]
>
> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?

Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.

When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
Registry and re-booted!

Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Disaster Master
On Thu Mar 16 2017 09:32:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
> Registry and re-booted!

Not sure what you mean by that, unless you are talking about a situation
that can happen where the system update in interrupted (power failure to
other), and when it boots back up, it goes through all of the changes on
a weird/different screen.

On 3/16/17 9:32 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 16/03/2017 10:56 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
>> 7:41 AM:
>>> //A couple of quotes from
>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>

>> REF:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
>> update in the first place.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?
>>
> Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
> think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.
>
> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
> Registry and re-booted!
>
> Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)

Patch Tuesday was this week. I should know to wait.

<http://news.softpedia.com/news/march-14-updates-breaking-down-windows-10-kb4013418-possibly-to-blame-513982.shtml>

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Ron Hunter
On 3/16/2017 6:56 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
> 7:41 AM:
>> //A couple of quotes from
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>
>>
>>> If the information released in today’s reports are accurate, then it
>>> proves the CIA is undermining the security of the internet – and so
>>> is Wikileaks.
>>
>>> Once governments become aware of a security vulnerability, they have
>>> a responsibility to consider how and when (not whether) to disclose
>>> the vulnerability to the affected company so they can fix the problem
>>> and protect users.
>>
> REF:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
> update in the first place.
> \" /]
>
> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?

Probably making sure not of the exploits leaked are still a problem.

On 3/16/2017 8:32 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 16/03/2017 10:56 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
>> 7:41 AM:
>>> //A couple of quotes from
>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/netpolicy/2017/03/07/mozilla-statement-on-cia-wikileaks/>

>> REF:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
>> update in the first place.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?
>>
> Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
> think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.
>
> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
> Registry and re-booted!
>
> Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)

No, it means Microsoft OWNS it, and they are letting you know that you
have NO CONTROL of it.  That is why I won't be buying another desktop
computer when this one bites the dust.

On 3/16/17 11:10 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 3/16/2017 8:32 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 16/03/2017 10:56 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
>>> 7:41 AM:

>>> REF:
>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
>>> update in the first place.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?
>>>
>> Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
>> think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.
>>
>> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
>> Registry and re-booted!
>>
>> Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)
>>
> No, it means Microsoft OWNS it, and they are letting you know that you
> have NO CONTROL of it.  That is why I won't be buying another desktop
> computer when this one bites the dust.

And this just appeared!

> PC Building Simulator is a game for Windows and Linux devices in which
> you simulate the building of desktop computer systems.

<http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/16/pc-building-simulator-for-windows-and-linux/>

If you have the slightest mechanical ability you can build your own.

The motherboard goes in the case, the CPU goes into the socket on the
motherboard, and can only be inserted one way because it is keyed, the
RAM goes into the memory slots, again only one way because they are
keyed, the connectors to the hard drives can only be connected one way
because they are keyed.

This one is 9 years old, has a 3.2 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB and 1 TB
hard drives. I was thinking of getting a 3.6 GHz CPU and 8 GB more RAM,
but don't think I would notice any increase in performance.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Wolf K.
On 2017-03-16 12:29, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 3/16/17 11:10 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
[...]

>> PC Building Simulator is a game for Windows and Linux devices in which
>> you simulate the building of desktop computer systems.
>
> <http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/16/pc-building-simulator-for-windows-and-linux/>
>
> If you have the slightest mechanical ability you can build your own.
>
> The motherboard goes in the case, the CPU goes into the socket on the
> motherboard, and can only be inserted one way because it is keyed, the
> RAM goes into the memory slots, again only one way because they are
> keyed, the connectors to the hard drives can only be connected one way
> because they are keyed.
>
> This one is 9 years old, has a 3.2 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB and 1 TB
> hard drives. I was thinking of getting a 3.6 GHz CPU and 8 GB more RAM,
> but don't think I would notice any increase in performance.

If you are into video editing, the extra RAM will help. The faster CPU,
not so much. A higher powered graphics card, quite a bit.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Disaster Master
On Thu Mar 16 2017 11:10:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ron Hunter
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> No, it means Microsoft OWNS it, and they are letting you know that you
> have NO CONTROL of it.  That is why I won't be buying another desktop
> computer when this one bites the dust.

Or you could just install Linux (Mint is a good one to start with for
people new to Linux).

On 2017-03-16 15:11, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Thu Mar 16 2017 11:10:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ron Hunter
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No, it means Microsoft OWNS it, and they are letting you know that you
>> have NO CONTROL of it.  That is why I won't be buying another desktop
>> computer when this one bites the dust.
>
> Or you could just install Linux (Mint is a good one to start with for
> people new to Linux).

+1

On 17/03/2017 12:43 AM, Disaster Master wrote:

> On Thu Mar 16 2017 09:32:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
>> Registry and re-booted!
>
> Not sure what you mean by that, unless you are talking about a situation
> that can happen where the system update in interrupted (power failure to
> other), and when it boots back up, it goes through all of the changes on
> a weird/different screen.

As I typed, I was switching off (i.e. shutting down) my computer, as I
normally do each night. On the way to switching off, it displayed a
screen stating it was applying updates and that I should not switch off.
When it had applied the updates, it continued with the shutdown procedure.

When I started up my computer (i.e. when I switched it on) today,
flashed up a screen stating it was applying the almost 6,000 updates to
the Registry. When it finished applying the updates to the Registry, my
computer re-booted and started up Win7!

On 17/03/2017 12:51 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 3/16/17 9:32 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 16/03/2017 10:56 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 3/8/2017
>>> 7:41 AM:

>>> REF:
>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-march-patch-tuesday-rollout,33906.html
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> Microsoft has remained silent on why it chose to delay the February
>>> update in the first place.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Early notification regarding WikiLeaks Microsoft vulns?
>>>
>> Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
>> think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.
>>
>> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
>> Registry and re-booted!
>>
>> Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)
>
> Patch Tuesday was this week. I should know to wait.
>
>> *Microsoft shipped new security updates on March 14
>> <http://news.softpedia.com/news/huge-patch-tuesday-brings-windows-fixes-including-new-cumulative-updates-513925.shtml>
>> as part of the company’s Patch Tuesday release, and although
>> everything seemed to work correctly at first, it now looks like there
>> are Windows 10 users who are struggling with issues after updating
>> their systems.*
>
> <http://news.softpedia.com/news/march-14-updates-breaking-down-windows-10-kb4013418-possibly-to-blame-513982.shtml>

Thanks for that, Walt!! Perhaps I should have stated that my computer is
only Win7.

It's been a while since I've seen these Update screens ... I figured it
was a lessening effort by Microsoft on Win7!

On 17/03/2017 8:54 AM, Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2017-03-16 15:11, Disaster Master wrote:
>> On Thu Mar 16 2017 11:10:42 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Ron Hunter
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> No, it means Microsoft OWNS it, and they are letting you know that you
>>> have NO CONTROL of it.  That is why I won't be buying another desktop
>>> computer when this one bites the dust.
>>
>> Or you could just install Linux (Mint is a good one to start with for
>> people new to Linux).
>
> +1

I multi-boot this Laptop with several versions of Linux as well as Win7,
but I'm unable to connect any Linux to the Internet A.T.T. ... maybe
fixed this week-end. Hopefully

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751

Re: Mozilla Statement on CIA / Wikileaks

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 3/17/2017
6:41 AM:

> On 17/03/2017 12:51 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Hmm! About 24hrs ago, when I switched this laptop off, it applied (I
>>> think) three updates .... first time I had that happen in months.
>>>
>>> When I booted up this evening, it applied almost 6,000 updates to the
>>> Registry and re-booted!
>>>
>>> Does that mean my laptop is healthy now?? ;-)
>>
>> Patch Tuesday was this week. I should know to wait.
>>
>>> *Microsoft shipped new security updates on March 14
>>> <http://news.softpedia.com/news/huge-patch-tuesday-brings-windows-fixes-including-new-cumulative-updates-513925.shtml>
>>>
>>> as part of the company’s Patch Tuesday release, and although
>>> everything seemed to work correctly at first, it now looks like there
>>> are Windows 10 users who are struggling with issues after updating
>>> their systems.*
>>
>> <http://news.softpedia.com/news/march-14-updates-breaking-down-windows-10-kb4013418-possibly-to-blame-513982.shtml>
>>

> Thanks for that, Walt!! Perhaps I should have stated that my computer is
> only Win7.
>
> It's been a while since I've seen these Update screens ... I figured it
> was a lessening effort by Microsoft on Win7!

REF: http://tinyurl.com/le46crr

[excerpt quote=\"
Our old snooping friends KB 2952664 (Win7) and KB 2976978 (Win8.1) are
back, as anticipated. An anonymous poster on the AskWoody Lounge says
they're identical to the versions posted last week. This time they're
"Recommended," so if you have "Give me recommended updates the same way
I receive important updates" selected in Windows Update, the patches
will be checked and thus installed the next time you run Windows Update
-- which I don't recommend, of course.
\" /]

There were Win7 updates, most notably the Phone Home stealthware, ahem, fix.

--
Sailfish