Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Justin Fitzhugh
We will have a scheduled downtime window this coming Thursday from 7pm
to 10pm PDT. The following changes will take place:

* 7pm PDT - CVS migration. We will be migrating the CVS server to new
hardware for increased reliability and performance.  We expect no more
than 15-30 minutes of downtime, but intermittent service is possible for
the entire maintenance window.
* 7pm PST - Security patching.  In an effort to keep systems up to date
and patched against the latest vulnerabilities, we'll be patching and
rebooting some of our servers.  Expected downtime is 5-10 minutes per
host.  Affected hosts/services are:  dm-stage01, talkback, mrdb01/02
(bugzilla, firefoxflicks, reporter), bully, lode, obelix, pinwheel,
ringring, trampoline, dingbat, star.

Please let me know if you have any reason why we should not proceed with
the planned maintenance. Feel free to email [hidden email] if you see
issues past the planned downtime.

Thanks,
-Justin

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

gwtc-4
Justin Fitzhugh wrote:

>Affected hosts/services are:  dm-stage01, talkback, mrdb01/02
> (bugzilla, firefoxflicks, reporter), bully, lode, obelix, pinwheel,
> ringring, trampoline, dingbat, star.

I know what most of those are but what pray-tell is a bully, pinwheel,
ringring, trampoline and a dingbat?

--
How to Get a Life
Difficulty Level: Hard

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Jay Patel-4
dingbat = Talkback db server, not sure about the rest.

jay wrote:

> dingbat = Talkback db server, not sure about the rest.

thanks

--
How to Get a Life
Difficulty Level: Hard

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Dave Miller-2
In article <[hidden email]>, gwtc
<TheNewGWTC@n375c4p3.n37> wrote:

> Justin Fitzhugh wrote:
>
> >Affected hosts/services are:  dm-stage01, talkback, mrdb01/02
> > (bugzilla, firefoxflicks, reporter), bully, lode, obelix, pinwheel,
> > ringring, trampoline, dingbat, star.
> >

> I know what most of those are but what pray-tell is a bully, pinwheel,
> ringring, trampoline and a dingbat?

bully, pinwheel, ringring, and trampoline are internal servers at the
corporate office.  Not sure why they got included in the public notice.
:)

--
Dave Miller                                    http://www.justdave.net/
System Administrator, Mozilla Corporation       http://www.mozilla.com/

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Robert Blair-2

Should not this have also been posted at mozilla.announce?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

beltzner
On 5/4/06, David E. Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Should not this have also been posted at mozilla.announce?

If ever there was evidence that we needed *fewer* newsgroups ...

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 5/4/2006, 7pm - 10pm PDT

Dan Mosedale
Mike Beltzner wrote:
> On 5/4/06, David E. Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Should not this have also been posted at mozilla.announce?
>
> If ever there was evidence that we needed *fewer* newsgroups ...
>
> cheers,
> mike

The idea behind .announce newsgroups is generally that people who don't
want to drink from huge river can get the important stuff by looking at
the tiny stream of .announce.  If we still believe that model works, I'm
not sure how fewer newsgroups helps us here.

Dan