Mozilla Project Localisers Meeting

Gervase Markham
The Mozilla Foundation is pleased to announce that there will be a
localisers meeting at the Free and Open Source Developers European
Meeting (FOSDEM) 2006[0] in Brussels, Belgium on the 25th and 26th of
February.

All Mozilla Project localisers are warmly invited to attend.

The primary aim of this meeting is for localisers to meet one another
and discuss matters of mutual interest and concern. On the second day of
the conference (Sunday), the Mozilla developer room speaking track will
have a particular focus on localisation. However, attendees will also be
able to take advantage of the many other attractions FOSDEM has to
offer. FOSDEM is a donation-supported event; there is no charge to
register.[1]

While all localisers are invited, the meeting has a European focus. The
Foundation would like as many people to attend as possible, and so are
offering to pay the primary transport costs[2] of all localisation
owners and peers[3] in the following geographical regions[4]:

- All the areas coloured green on this map:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Europe_political_map.png
  excluding Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Luxembourg
- Turkey, Israel and Syria

You should consider this a "thank you" from the Mozilla Foundation for
all your hard work. If there is anyone who does not fit the criteria but
believes they have a good case (such as financial hardship, being
mistakenly left off the master list, or localising a project it does not
cover) for being offered travel support, they should get in touch.

People who are eligible for travel support should start the process of
obtaining visas, if necessary, and looking for flights or other
transport. Please do not make travel reservations yet - you will need to
book through the Foundation's travel agency. We will send out more
information soon about how to make travel arrangements.

The Foundation has a limited budget and wishes to make the meeting
accessible to as many people as possible. Therefore, you are asked not
to apply for travel support if you have alternative sources of funds to
pay for your trip. Also note that if travel costs exceed our initial
estimates we reserve the right to restrict the number of people whose
travel we pay for; for example, we may sponsor only the owner for a
particular localization, not peers. Of course, we hope this will not be
necessary.

We regret we are unable to help with accommodation costs; however,
Brussels should have accommodation to suit most budgets. Please make
your own hotel reservations. :-)

Please email me if you have any queries.

Gerv

[0] http://www.fosdem.org

[1] http://www.fosdem.org/register.php

[2] "Primary transport costs" usually means the cost of the plane fare.
    But if you find that an alternative mode of transport is
    significantly cheaper or more convenient, please get in touch.

[3] "Localisation owners and peers" is defined as anyone who is on the
    master lists as of 2005-01-26. The master lists are here:
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Localization_Teams
    http://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Localization_Teams

[4] The choice of this area was made with the help of the Frappr
    localisers map: http://www.frappr.com/mozillal10n . The Foundation
    may consider similar meetings in other areas of the world in the
    future.

Re: Mozilla Project Localisers Meeting

Ognyan Kulev
Gervase Markham написа:
> We regret we are unable to help with accommodation costs; however,
> Brussels should have accommodation to suit most budgets. Please make
> your own hotel reservations. :-)
>
> Please email me if you have any queries.

What do you plan about travel dates?  Coming on Saturday and leaving on
Sunday?  This is important for planning accommodations.

Regards,
ogi

Re: Mozilla Project Localisers Meeting

Axel Hecht
Ognyan Kulev wrote:

> Gervase Markham написа:
>> We regret we are unable to help with accommodation costs; however,
>> Brussels should have accommodation to suit most budgets. Please make
>> your own hotel reservations. :-)
>>
>> Please email me if you have any queries.
>
> What do you plan about travel dates?  Coming on Saturday and leaving on
> Sunday?  This is important for planning accommodations.

This depends a bit about region. I suggest you try to arrive saturday
morning and leave sunday late afternoonish or evening. That may not work
for everybody depending on travel arrangements.

Axel

Re: Mozilla Project Localisers Meeting

Benoit-8
Gervase Markham a écrit :
> We regret we are unable to help with accommodation costs; however,
> Brussels should have accommodation to suit most budgets. Please make
> your own hotel reservations. :-)

If you don't know where to look, here are the links provided by the
Fosdem team:
http://www.fosdem.org/2006/index/practical/accomodation

If you want to be in the same hotel as the main speakers, they have
chosen this one:
http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/1454/fiche_hotel.shtml
(special booking form:
http://forum.fosdem.org/view.php?site=fosdem&bn=fosdem_practical&key=1137746593
)

If you were to choose the Youth Hostel solution, I would probably
recommend the "Brel" one. It is closer to the Fosdem location, more
accessible by public transportation (both tramways and underground) and
in a nicer area altogether.
(The link on the fosdem page is broken, the right one is
http://www.laj.be/html/en/hostels/brel/aubergesbrel_en01.htm )

Re: Mozilla Project Localisers Meeting

Abdulkadir Topal
Gervase Markham schrieb:
> [...]
> While all localisers are invited, the meeting has a European focus. The
> Foundation would like as many people to attend as possible, and so are
> offering to pay the primary transport costs[2] of all localisation
> owners and peers[3] in the following geographical regions[4]:
>
> - All the areas coloured green on this map:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Europe_political_map.png
>   excluding Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Luxembourg

Could you elaborate a bit on why this countries are excluded? Is it
because they have a border with Belgium?

--Abdulkadir Topal

Abdulkadir Topal wrote:

> Gervase Markham schrieb:
>> [...]
>> While all localisers are invited, the meeting has a European focus. The
>> Foundation would like as many people to attend as possible, and so are
>> offering to pay the primary transport costs[2] of all localisation
>> owners and peers[3] in the following geographical regions[4]:
>>
>> - All the areas coloured green on this map:
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Europe_political_map.png
>>   excluding Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and Luxembourg
>
> Could you elaborate a bit on why this countries are excluded? Is it
> because they have a border with Belgium?

Exactly. We have a limited budget and we're likely unable to pay for
everybody.
We did think about paying travel expense "beyond N €", but that would
have ended up with someone running around at fosdem with over 10k € in
cash, plus that not everybody can easily afford paying their travel
upfront. So we decided to just cut the list a bit shorter, and just take
those out that have a low travel cost in the first place and pay the
travel for the long distance folks.
We're likely unable to come up with a scheme for train travel anyway in
the remaining time.

If there are individual problems with this, we will listen and look at
our budget once the requests are rolling in.

Axel

Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> What do you plan about travel dates?  Coming on Saturday and leaving on
> Sunday?  This is important for planning accommodations.

It depends where you are coming from - it's up to you. I personally will
arrive on Friday night by train from London, and depart on Sunday
evening. But that won't work for everyone. As you are paying for your
own accommodation, it doesn't matter to us too much what dates you choose.

Gerv

Abdulkadir Topal wrote:
> Could you elaborate a bit on why this countries are excluded? Is it
> because they have a border with Belgium?

Yes; it was a quick way to try and reduce the cost a bit. Unfortunately,
our budget is still a bit limited; the Foundation is still in the
"starting up" phase when it comes to this sort of thing.

I've already had two emails from people in these countries saying that
they can't afford to come. If that's true of you, I would repeat what
the original message said - get in touch, and we'll see what we can do.

Gerv