Mozilla Mail Error

Bob Stein
I am new to this NG, so if I am duplicating a previous thread, please
bear with me or point me in the right direction.

I am using Mozilla v1.7 and am logged on as the Administrator.  When I
access Mail and Newsgroups, I get the following query: "Do you want to
use Mozilla as the default application?"  When I click on "Yes" I get
the following error message:

"Mozilla Mail could could not be set as the default application because
a registry key could not be updated.  Verify with your system
administrator..." (which is me!), etc.

I have searched with Google and Copernic unsuccessfully.  Can someone
tell me which key has to be changed?

Bob
--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address

Re: Mozilla Mail Error

gwtc
Bob Stein wrote:

> I am new to this NG, so if I am duplicating a previous thread, please
> bear with me or point me in the right direction.
>
> I am using Mozilla v1.7 and am logged on as the Administrator.  When I
> access Mail and Newsgroups, I get the following query: "Do you want to
> use Mozilla as the default application?"  When I click on "Yes" I get
> the following error message:
>
> "Mozilla Mail could could not be set as the default application because
> a registry key could not be updated.  Verify with your system
> administrator..." (which is me!), etc.
>
> I have searched with Google and Copernic unsuccessfully.  Can someone
> tell me which key has to be changed?
>
> Bob
Interesting! Thats a first for me.  I've never heard of that.  When
you installed Mozilla, which version did you use?  The Zipped version
or the exe version?  If you installed the exe version, uninstall Moz.
  Don't worry, all your settings, bookmarks, mail, etc will not be
touched.  They are stored somewhere else and are not touched with
uninstalling Moz.

Any ways, remove Moz.  Using your file manager, look under C:\Program
Files\mozilla.org and make sure that everything is removed.  Then look
under C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE and make sure that
everything is removed there too. Then go into the Registry {click on
Start, Run and enter regedit.exe.  Locate the following directories:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mozilla.org
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\mozilla.org
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Mozilla
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\mozilla.org

and just remove the Moz 1.7 entries.  When you've done that, reboot,
then reinstall Moz.  You also might want to update to Moz 1.7.12.

Now, what happens.

Re: Mozilla Mail Error

Lewis Rosenthal
Hi, Bob.

This is a Windows permission issue, most likely caused by some
corruption in your registry. To fix it, you'll need to use regedt32 (or
on XP, I believe you can simply use regedit, as the functionality has
been merged into the one app) or design a security policy to (re)set the
permissions on the appropriate key(s).

Run a few searches at support.microsoft.com and you should come up with
something more specific. Here's a bit of a pointer from
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154359:

8<---------------------- snip ---------------------->8

For example, to include a mail client program in the list of available
programs, register your client programs in the following registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Your_Mail_Client_Name

Define the client and the path to the program to be started by Internet
Explorer:

Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Your_Mail_Client_Name\shell\open\command

Value: "C:\Program Files\Your Folder Name\YOUR_MAIL_CLIENT_NAME.EXE"

8<---------------------- snip ---------------------->8

(N.B.: The above editing will probably not work until you change the
permissions on the appropriate key(s), but at leats you'll know where to
look.)

Good luck. I'm glad that OS/2 doesn't have much of a registry! ;-)

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: Mozilla Mail Error

Bob Stein-2
Many thanks for the input.  The key value was identical to that in
another machine also running Win2K and Mozilla.  I reentered the value
just to be sure (I have administrator's privileges), but no cigar.  The
only solution may be just to uninstall Mozilla, remove ALL appearances
in the registry, and install a slightly newer version, v1.7.11 to
replace v1.7.7.

At least I now know where to look.

Bob

--
When replying direct, remove the Z from my address.

Re: Mozilla Mail Error

Lewis Rosenthal
Good luck. I'll be interested to hear if a clean install addresses the
issue. The Windows registry is such a fragile and loosely consistent DB
(well, it's not supposed to be loosely consistent by design, but it just
tends to end up that way, unfortunately), that I've often had to resort
to "elephant gun" approaches to issues which I felt deep down could be
addressed in more elegant ways.

Glad I could at least shed some light on the somewhat hidden key. ;-)

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Good luck. I'll be interested to hear if a clean install addresses the
> issue. The Windows registry is such a fragile and loosely consistent DB
> (well, it's not supposed to be loosely consistent by design, but it just
> tends to end up that way, unfortunately), that I've often had to resort
> to "elephant gun" approaches to issues which I felt deep down could be
> addressed in more elegant ways.
>
> Glad I could at least shed some light on the somewhat hidden key. ;-)
>
> On 10/26/2005 03:19 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
>
>> Many thanks for the input.  The key value was identical to that in
>> another machine also running Win2K and Mozilla.  I reentered the value
>> just to be sure (I have administrator's privileges), but no cigar.
>> The only solution may be just to uninstall Mozilla, remove ALL
>> appearances in the registry, and install a slightly newer version,
>> v1.7.11 to replace v1.7.7.
>>
>> At least I now know where to look.
>>
>> Bob

Again Lewis, thanks.  I hesitate to reveal my stupidity, but the simple
solution finally came to me.  The error message appeared whenever I
called up Mozilla mail.  One could also check (tick to our British
friends) an instruction not to show the message again - a solution which
had not occurred to me.  Since it was only the error message that was
the annoyance, I have succeeded in exorcising it by checking the box.

Bob

On 10/28/2005 02:53 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
> Again Lewis, thanks.  I hesitate to reveal my stupidity, but the simple
> solution finally came to me.  The error message appeared whenever I
> called up Mozilla mail.  One could also check (tick to our British
> friends) an instruction not to show the message again - a solution which
> had not occurred to me.  Since it was only the error message that was
> the annoyance, I have succeeded in exorcising it by checking the box.

I'm curious, though... Is Mozilla really set as your default mail app,
or, if you click a mailto link from within IE (sorry to even suggest
using it), will Outbreak Distress or something else fire up vs Mozilla Mail?

Typically, the check box is used when you permanently don't want an app
to be the default, so it stops checking (I know you know this already;
I'm just sort of thinking out loud at the moment). In this case, I
wonder whether we've "given up" too soon.

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 10/28/2005 02:53 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
>
>> Again Lewis, thanks.  I hesitate to reveal my stupidity, but the
>> simple solution finally came to me.  The error message appeared
>> whenever I called up Mozilla mail.  One could also check (tick to our
>> British friends) an instruction not to show the message again - a
>> solution which had not occurred to me.  Since it was only the error
>> message that was the annoyance, I have succeeded in exorcising it by
>> checking the box.
>>
> I'm curious, though... Is Mozilla really set as your default mail app,
> or, if you click a mailto link from within IE (sorry to even suggest
> using it), will Outbreak Distress or something else fire up vs Mozilla
> Mail?
>
> Typically, the check box is used when you permanently don't want an app
> to be the default, so it stops checking (I know you know this already;
> I'm just sort of thinking out loud at the moment). In this case, I
> wonder whether we've "given up" too soon.

It looks like Mozilla is really the mail client, although I am not sure
at this point.  When I select "Read Mail" on IE6, Mozilla comes up.
However, if I select "Read News," Mozilla Thunderbird comes up.  I guess
when I uninstalled Thunderbird, something remained.  The other choices
on IE6 bring up Microsoft Outlet, as I would expect when using Win2K.

Bob

Bob Stein wrote:

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> On 10/28/2005 02:53 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
>>
>>> Again Lewis, thanks.  I hesitate to reveal my stupidity, but the
>>> simple solution finally came to me.  The error message appeared
>>> whenever I called up Mozilla mail.  One could also check (tick to our
>>> British friends) an instruction not to show the message again - a
>>> solution which had not occurred to me.  Since it was only the error
>>> message that was the annoyance, I have succeeded in exorcising it by
>>> checking the box.
>>>
>> I'm curious, though... Is Mozilla really set as your default mail app,
>> or, if you click a mailto link from within IE (sorry to even suggest
>> using it), will Outbreak Distress or something else fire up vs Mozilla
>> Mail?
>>
>> Typically, the check box is used when you permanently don't want an
>> app to be the default, so it stops checking (I know you know this
>> already; I'm just sort of thinking out loud at the moment). In this
>> case, I wonder whether we've "given up" too soon.
>>
> It looks like Mozilla is really the mail client, although I am not sure
> at this point.  When I select "Read Mail" on IE6, Mozilla comes up.
> However, if I select "Read News," Mozilla Thunderbird comes up.  I guess
> when I uninstalled Thunderbird, something remained.  The other choices
> on IE6 bring up Microsoft Outlet, as I would expect when using Win2K.
>
> Bob

Microsoft OUTLET?? :-(  Outlook, of course.

On 11/01/2005 01:15 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
> It looks like Mozilla is really the mail client, although I am not sure
> at this point.  When I select "Read Mail" on IE6, Mozilla comes up.
> However, if I select "Read News," Mozilla Thunderbird comes up.  I guess
> when I uninstalled Thunderbird, something remained.  The other choices
> on IE6 bring up Microsoft Outlet, as I would expect when using Win2K.

What do your internet settings say for default news app? IIRC, Windows
maintains two separate prefs for these (not near a Windows machine now,
and feeling too lazy to fire up a Citrix session over my ISDN connection
at home). The mail, at least, seems to be working as expected, in spite
of the dopey message you've managed to suppress.

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 11/01/2005 01:15 pm, Bob Stein thus wrote :
>
>> It looks like Mozilla is really the mail client, although I am not
>> sure at this point.  When I select "Read Mail" on IE6, Mozilla comes
>> up. However, if I select "Read News," Mozilla Thunderbird comes up.  I
>> guess when I uninstalled Thunderbird, something remained.  The other
>> choices on IE6 bring up Microsoft Outlet, as I would expect when using
>> Win2K.
>>
> What do your internet settings say for default news app? IIRC, Windows
> maintains two separate prefs for these (not near a Windows machine now,
> and feeling too lazy to fire up a Citrix session over my ISDN connection
> at home). The mail, at least, seems to be working as expected, in spite
> of the dopey message you've managed to suppress.

Mail = Mozilla Mail
Newsgroups = Mozilla Thunderbird (only other choice is Outlook Express)
    another Windows box :-(

Bob

--
When replying direct, remove the Z from my address.

Re: Mozilla Mail Error

Neil-4
Bob Stein wrote:

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
>> What do your internet settings say for default news app? IIRC,
>> Windows maintains two separate prefs for these (not near a Windows
>> machine now, and feeling too lazy to fire up a Citrix session over my
>> ISDN connection at home). The mail, at least, seems to be working as
>> expected, in spite of the dopey message you've managed to suppress.
>
> Mail = Mozilla Mail
> Newsgroups = Mozilla Thunderbird (only other choice is Outlook
> Express)    another Windows box :-(

Unfortunately default news app support was not added in time to make the
Mozilla 1.7.x series.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.