Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Apparently, one of the idiot spam mooses has considered 17
of my messages as OT.  However, these messages have been
dated as far back as July 1st.  And yet, I'm being told
about this now!!!!  Don't you think I should have been
contacted and warned back then, and not now.  What are you
doing, saving them up until you build up a file of them?

Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and
that everyone who posted after my OT messages have been
contacted as well and warned.

This message that was sent to me I considered it was very
*offensive* and very threatening.  I think it should be
reworded a little properly and tackful -- otherwise get rid
of it.  Or better yet, get rid of the Newsgroup Police.

It also says "Please note we don't want to lose any support
volunteers . . . " Well, if you keep sending out these
disgusting messages you will.  I'd sure like to know how
many have left because of this retardation.  I know of one
person who left.  Is this how the Mozilla community treats
its volunteers?  If so, with threats and offensive emails
like this, you will lose them.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and
>> that everyone who posted after my OT messages have been
>> contacted as well and warned.
>>
>> This message that was sent to me I considered it was very
>> *offensive* and very threatening.
>
> It's not an attack against you and you're not being threatened.

thats where you're wrong.  It was on both accounts.

»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and
>> that everyone who posted after my OT messages have been
>> contacted as well and warned.
>>
>> This message that was sent to me I considered it was very
>> *offensive* and very threatening.
>
> It's not an attack against you and you're not being threatened.

how would you know!? You're one of the Spam Moose Cops

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Larry Gusaas-4
On 7/30/07 5:36 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Apparently, one of the idiot spam mooses has considered 17 of my
> messages as OT.  However, these messages have been dated as far back
> as July 1st.  And yet, I'm being told about this now!!!!  Don't you
> think I should have been contacted and warned back then, and not now.
> What are you doing, saving them up until you build up a file of them?
>
> Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and that
> everyone who posted after my OT messages have been contacted as well
> and warned.
>
> This message that was sent to me I considered it was very *offensive*
> and very threatening.  I think it should be reworded a little properly
> and tackful -- otherwise get rid of it.  Or better yet, get rid of the
> Newsgroup Police.
>
> It also says "Please note we don't want to lose any support volunteers
> . . . " Well, if you keep sending out these disgusting messages you
> will.  I'd sure like to know how many have left because of this
> retardation.  I know of one person who left.  Is this how the Mozilla
> community treats its volunteers?  If so, with threats and offensive
> emails like this, you will lose them.

Only 17? You are slipping .

What i find offensive is your constant and insulting use of the phrase
"idiot spam mooses".

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 7/30/07 5:36 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Apparently, one of the idiot spam mooses has considered 17 of my
>> messages as OT.  However, these messages have been dated as far back
>> as July 1st.  And yet, I'm being told about this now!!!!  Don't you
>> think I should have been contacted and warned back then, and not now.
>> What are you doing, saving them up until you build up a file of them?
>>
>> Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and that
>> everyone who posted after my OT messages have been contacted as well
>> and warned.
>>
>> This message that was sent to me I considered it was very *offensive*
>> and very threatening.  I think it should be reworded a little properly
>> and tackful -- otherwise get rid of it.  Or better yet, get rid of the
>> Newsgroup Police.
>>
>> It also says "Please note we don't want to lose any support volunteers
>> . . . " Well, if you keep sending out these disgusting messages you
>> will.  I'd sure like to know how many have left because of this
>> retardation.  I know of one person who left.  Is this how the Mozilla
>> community treats its volunteers?  If so, with threats and offensive
>> emails like this, you will lose them.
>>

> Only 17? You are slipping .
>
> What i find offensive is your constant and insulting use of the phrase
> "idiot spam mooses".

and why not? Its backwardness having Newsgroup Police.  What
other News Server have Newsgroup Police?  What other server
has someone send you an offensive email, threatening to
remove your postings from the server?  Is this what this
Community wants to be known for -- "oh, you better
becareful, that news server have Newsgroup Police! They'll
remove your postings!"

It was only one person that hates OT messages, and he's
conned others into doing his dirty job and act as Idiot Spam
Mooses [aka Newsgroup Police].

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Jay Garcia
On 30.07.2007 20:49, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> On 7/30/07 5:36 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> Apparently, one of the idiot spam mooses has considered 17 of my
>>> messages as OT.  However, these messages have been dated as far back
>>> as July 1st.  And yet, I'm being told about this now!!!!  Don't you
>>> think I should have been contacted and warned back then, and not now.
>>> What are you doing, saving them up until you build up a file of them?
>>>
>>> Furthermore, I hope this wasn't an attack against me, and that
>>> everyone who posted after my OT messages have been contacted as well
>>> and warned.
>>>
>>> This message that was sent to me I considered it was very *offensive*
>>> and very threatening.  I think it should be reworded a little properly
>>> and tackful -- otherwise get rid of it.  Or better yet, get rid of the
>>> Newsgroup Police.
>>>
>>> It also says "Please note we don't want to lose any support volunteers
>>> . . . " Well, if you keep sending out these disgusting messages you
>>> will.  I'd sure like to know how many have left because of this
>>> retardation.  I know of one person who left.  Is this how the Mozilla
>>> community treats its volunteers?  If so, with threats and offensive
>>> emails like this, you will lose them.
>>>

>> Only 17? You are slipping .
>>
>> What i find offensive is your constant and insulting use of the phrase
>> "idiot spam mooses".
>>

> and why not? Its backwardness having Newsgroup Police.  What
> other News Server have Newsgroup Police?  What other server
> has someone send you an offensive email, threatening to
> remove your postings from the server?  Is this what this
> Community wants to be known for -- "oh, you better
> becareful, that news server have Newsgroup Police! They'll
> remove your postings!"
>
> It was only one person that hates OT messages, and he's
> conned others into doing his dirty job and act as Idiot Spam
> Mooses [aka Newsgroup Police].

It's hard for me to enter comments on the running of this server as a
"user" because of my involvement with AOL/Netscape. However, you really
need to take this to email and yes, you deserve an explanation in
detail. This is the way we did it and continue to do it, if necessary,
on Secnews.

Try to keep in mind that these folks are trying to keep order on this
server the best they know how, following the outline of the etiquette
guidelines, etc. If it doesn't work then it will die a natural death on
it's own and the admin(s) will come up with another plan hopefully
suitable to all users.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Jay Garcia wrote:
> you really
> need to take this to email and yes, you deserve an explanation in
> detail.

no, I think the rest of the Community should know whats
going on and how it can affect them.  Thats why I deserve an
explanation here.  Otherwise, what are they affraid of?

  This is the way we did it and continue to do it, if necessary,
> on Secnews.

I thought you said there was no Police and no
deleting/removing of messages on that server.
Unfortunately, I can't provide proof of that because the
messages on that server have expired.

> Try to keep in mind that these folks are trying to keep order on this
> server the best they know how, following the outline of the etiquette
> guidelines, etc.

sending out *offensive* and threating messages isn't

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 30.07.2007 20:49, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Some of us myself included are considering the possibility of looking
for alternative products other than Mozilla products.

I got  a notice and out of 3 1/2 months there were 10 items cited; of
the 10,  3 I admitted to being frivolous. the other 7 I responding to
the reply immediate to the last comment I made in the thread shown. and
Explanation given.

I also commented that I will try and Make and effort. I think this will
be my third comment or post the entire day. And am fearful that I will
be thrown of the groups.

I also read and comment to office 2004 groups (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
they note that the difference between them and other groups and servers
They state "we consider ourselves as Communities, and its sad the others
want to tightly control free thought"

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Some of us myself included are considering the possibility of looking
> for alternative products other than Mozilla products.

yuppers, thats very correct.  Opera is starting to look good
about now.

> I also commented that I will try and Make and effort. I think this will
> be my third comment or post the entire day. And am fearful that I will
> be thrown of the groups.

thats next: banning people.  They did it on the secnews
server and they may just do it here too.  Just remember
this: one of the Spam Mooses was involved on the old secnews
server.

> I also read and comment to office 2004 groups (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
> they note that the difference between them and other groups and servers
> They state "we consider ourselves as Communities, and its sad the others
> want to tightly control free thought"

got any postings of those messages?  Because of the attitude
of the Head Spam Moose, he is giving the Mozilla Community
here a bad rep.

On 31.07.2007 09:50, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>   This is the way we did it and continue to do it, if necessary,
>> on Secnews.
>
> I thought you said there was no Police and no
> deleting/removing of messages on that server.
> Unfortunately, I can't provide proof of that because the
> messages on that server have expired.

There is no Police Department, the Champs watch the server, there are no
warnings sent out, no posts deleted other than offensive porn-type
stuff, etc. Users are allowed to dig their own hole in full view of
their peers or vice-versa.

On 31.07.2007 15:08, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> thats next: banning people.  They did it on the secnews
> server and they may just do it here too.  Just remember
> this: one of the Spam Mooses was involved on the old secnews
> server.

Whoaa there hoss!!!! Only ONE user was banned and it was an official ban
from Netscape, not from the Champs although we were consulted but didn't
have the final say-so.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 31.07.2007 15:08, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Thinking back to that period on secnews, do you think the ban was
effective?  My opinion is, at least for the short term, it exacerbated
the problem.  I think it was ultimately peer pressure that resolved the
situation.

Would you recommend doing the same today?

--
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit,
call it the target.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 31.07.2007 15:08, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

thats not what the emails I've been saying.  According to
them, several were ban.

On 31.07.2007 21:23, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

>> On 31.07.2007 15:08, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

After the user was banned, the user kept up the posting until we
authored a script that effectively denied access to all groups. It
worked and still works today although I haven't seen this user making
any attempts in over 2 years now.

Would I recommend doing the same today?

Depends on the user and the infraction(s). However, in the case you
mention, no, it didn't exacerbate the issue as it was well out of hand
regardless. It wasn't until the user starting using profanity and
posting the same message hundreds of times in the same session that
Netscape/AOL decided to deny access to the server altogether. There is
always a point when the straw is the last straw and it took many straws
before the last one was added. We/Netscape were quite tolerant and still
are today.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 31.07.2007 21:23, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

I don't this script would work here on the mozilla.org
server.  After all, one can post from googlegroups.

> There is
> always a point when the straw is the last straw and it took many straws
> before the last one was added. We/Netscape were quite tolerant and still
> are today.

you couldn't have been that tolerant if you had to ban that
person.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 31.07.2007 21:23, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

I don't know if you were around in those days since you are somewhat of
a NymShyfter, but if you are at all familiar with what was going on, it
was quite tolerant up to a point.  Specifically on Jay's part.  He was
the subject of voluminous profane postings.

On 31.07.2007 22:10, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> On 31.07.2007 21:23, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

You sure know how to stretch a point. One user out of several thousand
is "tolerant" in my book seeing as how the tolerance threshold was
crossed by only that one user.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 31.07.2007 21:23, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

No I wasn't, but I know people who was, and they're telling
me another story.  Interesting that all these people who are
telling the same story about more than one being banned
can't be all wrong.

Interesting how these people are telling me that it was more
involved than Jay.  As a matter of fact, it was several
Netscape Champs who was involved.

Further, its interesting how those same banned people from
the secnews server, a couple of them, are now posting within
the moz server.

--
Please do not email me for help.  Reply to the newsgroup
only.  And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
or Reply to Author.  Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Mozilla Forum Etiquette violation

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

I was there then, I'm here now.  I have no dog in this fight.  I can
tell you only *one*person was banned.

> Interesting how these people are telling me that it was more involved
> than Jay.  As a matter of fact, it was several Netscape Champs who was
> involved.

I can't/won't assign motive to those telling you otherwise.  I can tell
you I disagreed with the decision and made my opinion known.  Others who
disagreed stopped posting to secnews.

> Further, its interesting how those same banned people from the secnews
> server, a couple of them, are now posting within the moz server.

Apples and oranges.