Mozilla Engineering Update 38.3

Chris Peterson-12
This engineering update is also available on the Platform/2015-03-03
wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2015-03-03

# Firefox Release Schedule

The next merge date is March 30, just four weeks away. Firefox 37 and 38
releases have been moved up one week to avoid conflicts with holidays.
Firefox 38 will be the “spring thing” Firefox release and the next ESR,
retiring ESR 31.

The new “Tracking Firefox” dashboard shows tracked bugs for the Aurora
and Beta releases:
http://people.mozilla.org/~klahnakoski/platform/releases.html

# Upcoming Outages

The next Tree Closing Window is scheduled for Saturday, March 14.

# MemShrink

A new Windows-only “address-space” memory reporter (bug 1134030) landed
which may help debug Windows graphics and video memory usage. If you
have other ideas on how to measure Windows graphics and video memory
usage, contact Nicholas Nethercote.

# Shumway

Shumway has now been enabled (in the Nightly channel only) for playing
IMDb trailer videos. Shumway made some headlines a couple weeks ago when
it was enabled for playing Amazon product tour videos.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/13/alf
http://www.cnet.com/news/firefox-tiptoes-toward-a-world-without-adobe-flash
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8GOWU

# WebAPIs

Service Workers (bug 1059784) should land soon. (Famous last words.)

IndexedDB performance work will also land soon: bug 866846 will enable
SQLite’s WAL journal and bug 1112702 will change transactions to be
non-durable. These SQLite options favor performance over durability like
Chrome and IE do. They do not increase the risk of database corruption.

# Conferences

Mozilla’s Firefox OS team is at the MWC 2015 (Mobile World Congress) in
Barcelona this week, announcing new Firefox OS partners, markets, and
hardware form factors. Including sliders and flip phones!

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mwc

Mozilla is also at GDC 2015 (Game Developer Conference) in San
Francisco, where Epic Games and Mozilla announced Unreal Engine 4.7
support for HTML5/WebGL export:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/02/24/unreal-engine-4-7-binary-release-includes-html5-export-3/

Re: Mozilla Engineering Update 38.3

Lawrence Mandel-2
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 3:46 AM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This engineering update is also available on the Platform/2015-03-03 wiki:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2015-03-03
>

> # Firefox Release Schedule
>
> The next merge date is March 30, just four weeks away. Firefox 37 and 38
> releases have been moved up one week to avoid conflicts with holidays.
> Firefox 38 will be the “spring thing” Firefox release and the next ESR,
> retiring ESR 31.

I thought it worth clarifying that the release of Firefox ESR 38 does not
correspond with EOL for Firefox ESR 31. ESR cycles overlap by two releases.
Firefox ESR 31 will be EOL when ESR 38.2.0 releases on Aug 11, 2015.

Lawrence