Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

beltzner
There have been a variety of proposals and announcements about the
MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH plans, so I figured I'd round it all up into a
single place. This is the plan as of this morning, and hopefully we
can stick to it!

 1. Synchronize recent 1.8 branch landings to trunk (by EOD today)
 2. Re-open the branch for business, normal check-in rules apply
 3. Close the branch for managed landings of DOMStorage, SafeBrowsing,
    JS Component Fast Load (and any other major pieces that need close
    monitoring of performance stats)
 4. Close branch for Alpha 3 code freeze on May 23rd, 11:59pm PDT
 5. Re-open for business on May 26th when we ship Alpha 3

Watch this thread for further announcements about when exactly we'll
be closing the tree for those managed landings.

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

beltzner
On 5/15/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  1. Synchronize recent 1.8 branch landings to trunk (by EOD today)
>  2. Re-open the branch for business, normal check-in rules apply

These have been done. The MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH is now open for business:

 * observe the branch mechanics rules [1]
 * you need branch-1.8.1 approval before landing changes
 * add the fixed1.8.1 keyword to a bug when it's been checked in
 * QA will replace that with verified1.8.1 when it's been tested

People landing code are responsible for fixing any serious regressions
that may fall out of their patches; after landing a patch, you should
watch the next set of builds to compare the performance stats (and
really, you should be doing some smoketests on your local system
first!)

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

beltzner
On 5/15/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  1. Synchronize recent 1.8 branch landings to trunk (by EOD today)
>  2. Re-open the branch for business, normal check-in rules apply
>  3. Close the branch for managed landings of DOMStorage, SafeBrowsing,
>     JS Component Fast Load (and any other major pieces that need close
>     monitoring of performance stats)
>  4. Close branch for Alpha 3 code freeze on May 23rd, 11:59pm PDT
>  5. Re-open for business on May 26th when we ship Alpha 3

As per today's Bon Echo meeting (notes at:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/StatusMeetings/2006-05-16) here's the
plan for the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH for the next little while:

 Fri-May-19: SafeBrowsing, DOMStorage, NSIS Installer ready to land
           : tree closes and managed landings start
           : managed landings schedule tba & linked to from tinderbox page

 Sat-May-20: tree re-opens (module owner approvals)

 Mon-May-22: tree closes and managed landings continue
           : managed landings schedule tba & linked to from tinderbox page

 Tue-May-23: tree re-opens in AM (module owner approvals)
           : but if neccessary, managed landings will continue on Tues!
           : tree closes in PM for Alpha 3 lockdown

 Thu-May-24: code freeze at noon PDT for Alpha 3

 Fri-May-25: tree re-opens after Alpha 3 ships

Hackers and Module Owners: If you have something large that you want
to land that wasn't brought up at Tuesday's meeting, PLEASE LET US
KNOW NOW so that we can schedule you for a managed landing. Sooner is
better!

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

Vladimir Vukicevic-3
> Hackers and Module Owners: If you have something large that you want
> to land that wasn't brought up at Tuesday's meeting, PLEASE LET US
> KNOW NOW so that we can schedule you for a managed landing. Sooner is
> better!

I will be landing the image encoder stuff from bug 338407 -- this is an uplift
from stuff that's on the trunk that adds support for jpeg and png image encoding
into imglib.  It involves a small thunderbird regression (see the bug --
regarding pasting images that are on the clipboard under windows into tbird
compose windows), but that can be fixed quickly after a3 ships.

    - Vlad

On 5/17/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As per today's Bon Echo meeting (notes at:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/StatusMeetings/2006-05-16) here's the
> plan for the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH for the next little while:
>
>  Fri-May-19: SafeBrowsing, DOMStorage, NSIS Installer ready to land
>            : tree closes and managed landings start
>            : managed landings schedule tba & linked to from tinderbox page

Welcome to Friday! The plan for today is to check with the owners of
each of the large pieces listed above and get their status and
readiness-to-land:

 SafeBrowsing - Ts numbers looking positive, how about Tp?
 DOMStorage   - I saw this went on trunk, and is baking there now
 NSIS Install - Rob? How's this coming?

mconnor is going to stay up late to manage the tree tonight, and
handle the scheduling of the landings. I'll be travelling, but
checking email and on gtalk if needed. Schrep's on vacation! :)

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

Serge GAUTHERIE
beltzner wrote:

> On 5/17/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> mconnor is going to stay up late to manage the tree tonight, and
> handle the scheduling of the landings. I'll be travelling, but
> checking email and on gtalk if needed. Schrep's on vacation! :)

The following approval requests may not be among the 3 major wanted
components,
but could someone help process them ?

<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?action=queue&type=approval-branch-1.8.1&group=requestee>

The oldest is dated 2006-01-31.
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/request.cgi?action=queue&type=approval-branch-1.8.1&group=type>

Thanks.

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

Robert Strong
I'm aggressively finishing up the final touches and hope to have it
landed this evening. Keep in mind that turning this on will be done with
a configure flag so it won't affect current builds. I've discussed this
with Rob Helmer and the plan is to run a test build this weekend.

Robert

beltzner wrote:

> On 5/17/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As per today's Bon Echo meeting (notes at:
>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/StatusMeetings/2006-05-16) here's the
>> plan for the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH for the next little while:
>>
>>  Fri-May-19: SafeBrowsing, DOMStorage, NSIS Installer ready to land
>>            : tree closes and managed landings start
>>            : managed landings schedule tba & linked to from tinderbox
>> page
>
> Welcome to Friday! The plan for today is to check with the owners of
> each of the large pieces listed above and get their status and
> readiness-to-land:
>
> SafeBrowsing - Ts numbers looking positive, how about Tp?
> DOMStorage   - I saw this went on trunk, and is baking there now
> NSIS Install - Rob? How's this coming?
>
> mconnor is going to stay up late to manage the tree tonight, and
> handle the scheduling of the landings. I'll be travelling, but
> checking email and on gtalk if needed. Schrep's on vacation! :)
>
> cheers,
> mike

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

beltzner
On 5/17/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Mon-May-22: tree closes and managed landings continue

Welcome to Monday (and happy Victoria Day to Canadians in the crowd,
hope you're having a good May "2-4" weekend!) The branch looks to be a
touch crispy atm, but once that settles the plan is to close it down
and land the final of the three big pieces, the move to a NSIS
installer. Rob, can you give everyone an ETA for that landing so we
know to keep the branch clear in preparation (and/or get those last
minute module-owner-approved landings in?)

Also: the original plan called for the tree to get re-opened after
this last landing for one last day, and then we'd enter A3 lockdown on
Tuesday afternoon PDT. Do we still think this is necessary or should
we just keep it closed and manage things tightly up until we ship A3?
Personally, I vote to leave it closed, but my A2 experiences have
taught me to be cautious, so I'm happy to hear arguments for it
staying open!

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

Mike Connor-4

On 22-May-06, at 2:20 PM, beltzner wrote:

> On 5/17/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Mon-May-22: tree closes and managed landings continue
>
> Welcome to Monday (and happy Victoria Day to Canadians in the crowd,
> hope you're having a good May "2-4" weekend!) The branch looks to be a
> touch crispy atm, but once that settles the plan is to close it down
> and land the final of the three big pieces, the move to a NSIS
> installer. Rob, can you give everyone an ETA for that landing so we
> know to keep the branch clear in preparation (and/or get those last
> minute module-owner-approved landings in?)

Just talked to Rob, current plan is to enter lockdown at 1 PM PDT,
and Rob will flip the switch on the new installer sometime after the
status meeting (which gives some people extra time to notice the
impending lockdown notices).  Once we are at a good state on the
branch after that, we will start looking at which patches to take
during the lockdown.

This is already announced in #developers, and will be posted to the
tinderbox page shortly.

> Also: the original plan called for the tree to get re-opened after
> this last landing for one last day, and then we'd enter A3 lockdown on
> Tuesday afternoon PDT. Do we still think this is necessary or should
> we just keep it closed and manage things tightly up until we ship A3?
> Personally, I vote to leave it closed, but my A2 experiences have
> taught me to be cautious, so I'm happy to hear arguments for it
> staying open!

Right now, I think we'd publicly announced we would stay locked down,
and I don't think there's anything really important that we can't
approve easily.  I'll be in #bonecho for most of that time, as will
beltzner and a few others, and we should be able to drive a fairly
lightweight approvals process via that avenue for patches that need
to make a3 (either super-safe or blocker-quality).

-- Mike

Re: Mozilla 1.8 Branch Plans: sync, re-open, managed landings, Bon Echo Alpha 3

beltzner
On 5/15/06, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  5. Re-open for business on May 26th when we ship Alpha 3

Just thought I'd point out that this happened today, and the tree is
now open for beta 1 checkins using the previous tree rules (ie: module
owner approvals).

Thanks for your patience as we released the Alpha. Much appreciated!

cheers,
mike

--
/ mike beltzner / user experience lead / mozilla corporation /