Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
Here's the url:
<http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>

Both browser versions are PW's.
Java 14205 and (I think) most everything up to date.
They share a comon profile and plugins directory.

With Moz 1712, the java "puzzle" loads, mouse to
"start" and it plays fine.

With SM 10, the java puzzle loads, mouse to "start"
(or anywhere over the puzzle area) you do not
even have to click and SM closes.  There are no
traces of SM, no logfile...closes clean.

This is on eCs 1.20.  Going to my BU that is eCS 1.14,
I get exactly the same results an the same two Apps.

Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here
--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> Here's the url:
> <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>
>
> Both browser versions are PW's.
> Java 14205 and (I think) most everything up to date.
> They share a comon profile and plugins directory.
>
> With Moz 1712, the java "puzzle" loads, mouse to
> "start" and it plays fine.
>
> With SM 10, the java puzzle loads, mouse to "start"
> (or anywhere over the puzzle area) you do not
> even have to click and SM closes.  There are no
> traces of SM, no logfile...closes clean.
>
> This is on eCs 1.20.  Going to my BU that is eCS 1.14,
> I get exactly the same results an the same two Apps.
>
> Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here

The official version of SeaMonkey 1.0 displays & plays the puzzle okay.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gregg Young-2
Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> Here's the url:
> <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>
>
> Both browser versions are PW's.
> Java 14205 and (I think) most everything up to date.
> They share a comon profile and plugins directory.
>
> With Moz 1712, the java "puzzle" loads, mouse to
> "start" and it plays fine.
>
> With SM 10, the java puzzle loads, mouse to "start"
> (or anywhere over the puzzle area) you do not
> even have to click and SM closes.  There are no
> traces of SM, no logfile...closes clean.
>
> This is on eCs 1.20.  Going to my BU that is eCS 1.14,
> I get exactly the same results an the same two Apps.
>
> Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here

It works fine for me in seamonkey 1.0 (Peters latest). It sounds like
the problem I was having if flash 7 was running at the same time I tried
to access a JAVA applet. Is flash running on any tab when you try to
start the puzzle? If so either disable flash install flash block or
close all tabs running flash and see if that fixes the problem.

Gregg

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Lon Hooker
Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
> Here's the url: <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>

Gerry

Peter's latest works fine here (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US;
rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060212 SeaMonkey/1.0)

What extensions do you have installed?  You might try disabling them
one-at-a-time and see what happens.  (Multizilla might be a prime
suspect since it does alter some mouse actions.)

Lon

> Both browser versions are PW's. Java 14205 and (I think) most
> everything up to date. They share a comon profile and plugins
> directory.
>
> With Moz 1712, the java "puzzle" loads, mouse to "start" and it plays
> fine.
>
> With SM 10, the java puzzle loads, mouse to "start" (or anywhere over
> the puzzle area) you do not even have to click and SM closes.  There
> are no traces of SM, no logfile...closes clean.
>
> This is on eCs 1.20.  Going to my BU that is eCS 1.14, I get exactly
> the same results an the same two Apps.
>
> Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:45:29 UTC, Gregg Young <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here
>
> It works fine for me in seamonkey 1.0 (Peters latest). It sounds like
> the problem I was having if flash 7 was running at the same time I tried
> to access a JAVA applet. Is flash running on any tab when you try to
> start the puzzle? If so either disable flash install flash block or
> close all tabs running flash and see if that fixes the problem.

That's what I am running here too...Peter's SM 1.0.
I have no Flash running.  SM just opened and url in the first
and only tab.   Thanks for the thought.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:52:11 UTC, Lon Hooker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerry
>
> Peter's latest works fine here (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US;
> rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060212 SeaMonkey/1.0)
>
> What extensions do you have installed?  You might try disabling them
> one-at-a-time and see what happens.  (Multizilla might be a prime
> suspect since it does alter some mouse actions.)

I have Multizilla and Googlebox both installed and they are in
"myprofile".  googlebox.jar is in myprofile......xyz.slt directory
and multizilla (multiviews.jar I think?) is in myprofile....
xyz.slt\chrome directory.  AFAIK, both are working well in both
Moz and SM.

Lon, I would be game to disable them if I knew how.

Is it easy to disable??  Last I read from Multizilla author is that
uninstalling was hit and miss and I have never tried to
uninstall it

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:52:11 UTC, Lon Hooker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Gerry
>>
>> Peter's latest works fine here (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US;
>> rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060212 SeaMonkey/1.0)
>>
>> What extensions do you have installed?  You might try disabling them
>> one-at-a-time and see what happens.  (Multizilla might be a prime
>> suspect since it does alter some mouse actions.)
>>
> I have Multizilla and Googlebox both installed and they are in
> "myprofile".  googlebox.jar is in myprofile......xyz.slt directory
> and multizilla (multiviews.jar I think?) is in myprofile....
> xyz.slt\chrome directory.  AFAIK, both are working well in both
> Moz and SM.
>
> Lon, I would be game to disable them if I knew how.
>
> Is it easy to disable??  Last I read from Multizilla author is that
> uninstalling was hit and miss and I have never tried to
> uninstall it

I am using multizilla 1.8.1.0p and google box 1.7a and the site works.
If you are using earlier versions you might try these. They are the
nightlies on the install page not the online checker page.

Gregg

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:52:11 UTC, Lon Hooker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Gerry
>>
>> Peter's latest works fine here (Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US;
>> rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060212 SeaMonkey/1.0)
>>
>> What extensions do you have installed?  You might try disabling them
>> one-at-a-time and see what happens.  (Multizilla might be a prime
>> suspect since it does alter some mouse actions.)
>>
> I have Multizilla and Googlebox both installed and they are in
> "myprofile".  googlebox.jar is in myprofile......xyz.slt directory
> and multizilla (multiviews.jar I think?) is in myprofile....
> xyz.slt\chrome directory.  AFAIK, both are working well in both
> Moz and SM.
>
> Lon, I would be game to disable them if I knew how.
>
> Is it easy to disable??  Last I read from Multizilla author is that
> uninstalling was hit and miss and I have never tried to
> uninstall it

You can just create a new profile. This will disable everything
installed to your present profile. Just switch back to recover existing
setup.

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
My saga continues.  Thanks to Lon and Gregg in above posts,
here is what I have done.

1.Reinstalled PW's SM 1.0...No change to the problem.
2.Installed SM 1.0 "Official".  No change.
3. Created a "test" profile.  No extentions..nothing. Still
have the problem.  (on SM 1.0 official now)

What I have learned:  "JAVASCRIPT ERRORS"!!

If I run this <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/> in
Moz 1712, I get no JS errors (in JS console) and
everything works fine. (using "test" profile)

If I run the same in SM 1.0, I get 5 JS errors, the site loads
OK, but SM just closes when I go to the JAVA puzzle.

I know squat about Javascript.  It's a function of the
browser...right?  I turned JS "OFF" in pref> advanced>
JS in navigator.  Then loading that url, I got just the
JAVA puzzle and It works fine.  I still get 4 of the 5
JS errors as shown here:

Error: Unknown property 'paddingt-top'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/
Line: 0

Error: Unknown property 'Xpadding-right'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/globalnav/styles/globalNav.css
Line: 168

Error: Unknown property 'font-face'.  Declaration dropped.
Source File:
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/css/sectionfronts/_sf.css
Line: 12

Error: Unrecognized at-rule or error parsing at-rule '@import'.
Source File: http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/css/global.css
Line: 20

Error: Unknown pseudo-class or pseudo-element 'vlink'.  Ruleset
ignored due to bad selector.
Source File:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/css/topstrip_teased.css
Line: 120

It is the first group..."Line 0" that is unique when it fails with JS
turned on.  I get no "line 0" error with JS turned OFF.

What to do??  dunno.  I'm out of my depth now, but there is something
different in the base directories of Moz and SM, and not in
my profile, plugins or eCS versions.

Could it be in the handling of CSS (cascading style sheets)?
I read on a ng somewhere the there are newer versions of
this.  ...but I can't find that thread now.

Any other suggestions ???   TIA.
--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:43:26 UTC, "Gerry Chilibeck" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:45:29 UTC, Gregg Young <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > > Like it has to be SM 10.   Any hints/tips here
> >
> > It works fine for me in seamonkey 1.0 (Peters latest). It sounds like
> > the problem I was having if flash 7 was running at the same time I tried
> > to access a JAVA applet. Is flash running on any tab when you try to
> > start the puzzle? If so either disable flash install flash block or
> > close all tabs running flash and see if that fixes the problem.
> >
> That's what I am running here too...Peter's SM 1.0.
> I have no Flash running.  SM just opened and url in the first
> and only tab.   Thanks for the thought.

On this url, I think there are "flash" adverts. Top, left and right.
Not always, but the top advert always is.

I went and got the PrefBar extension ver 1.2.8.  It has a flash
enable/flash kill, but the enable/disable does not seem to
work in the eCS world.

What are you using for "flash Blocking".  Some other
extension ??
--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Felix Miata-2
On 06/02/22 06:57 Gerry Chilibeck apparently typed:

> What are you using for "flash Blocking".  Some other
> extension ??

I block flash by not installing the usability nightmare that is flash. On
those extraordinarily rare occasions where I find a site I am compelled to
use that requires it, I use Linux or doze.

Alternative blocking schemes can be found e.g. at:
http://www.floppymoose.com/
http://www.gozer.org/mozilla/ad_blocking/
--
"Love your neighbor as yourself."         Mark 12:31 NIV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Steve Wendt

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> If I run this <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>>
> If I run the same in SM 1.0, I get 5 JS errors,

This isn't an OS/2 problem, it happens on Windoze also.

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:10:56 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
>
> > What are you using for "flash Blocking".  Some other extension ??
>
> http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

 I installed Flashblock 1.3.4.  Blocking flash allows this site
to preform the JAVA Puzzle OK.  No closing of SM.

What a step backwards. Moz 1712 works and SM 10 requires an
extension to "live".   Unlike Felix, it will be a dark day in July
before
I boot to Windoze or Linux (can't) just to see a flash.

For simplicity, I could just stay with Moz 1712 (not SM) until
the world churns one more time.
--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz1712 runs it...SM10 just closes

Gerry Chilibeck
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:11:31 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
>
> > If I run this <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>>
> > If I run the same in SM 1.0, I get 5 JS errors,
>
> This isn't an OS/2 problem, it happens on Windoze also.

EEE-gads!.  Then the whole world in in mourning.

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

>>> If I run this <http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/pf/>>
>>> If I run the same in SM 1.0, I get 5 JS errors,
>> This isn't an OS/2 problem, it happens on Windoze also.
>
> EEE-gads!.  Then the whole world in in mourning.

I doubt many mourn when a web site uses buggy Javascript.  Most (all?)
of the errors seem to be related to CSS, and since IE has very broken
CSS support, web authors sometimes do incorrect things to compensate...