Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Gerry Chilibeck
I had moz 1.7.12 and profile on drive J.  All's well.

I installed PW's SM 1.0 on drive F and copied my profile
from J to F.

I then went to config.sys and added these lines:

REM SET mozilla_home=J:\mozprofile
REM SET moz_plugin_path=J:\mozprofile\plugins
SET mozilla_home=F:\mozprofile
SET  moz_plugin_path=F:\mozprofile\plugins

Despite doing this, SM still uses the profile located in J.
REALLY!!
I then changed the line "SET mozilla_home...." line
to say "SET seamonkey_home...." and rebooted.

Then, neither browser version finds my profile and wants
to build a one from a very old NS461....(cancelled).

What do I have to do in Config sys to now see
seamonkey as "home" and find my profile on F.

Are there some files in SM that I shud delete and have
auto rebuilt (compreg.dat, xul.mfi, secmod.db) ??

I have done some editing with regedit2 to the
HINI_user_profile for the Moz and SM entries there
with no success either.

In the past I have been able to move my profile around,
across drives, but that was when the browser was
MOZ and not Seamonkey.

--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Peter Weilbacher
Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> I installed PW's SM 1.0 on drive F and copied my profile
> from J to F.

Copying OK, if you really want to do that, but then you also need to
edit things, see below. I would recommend to backup the old profile,
leave it where it is, and just start SeaMonkey with the old MOZILLA_HOME
setting.

> I then went to config.sys and added these lines:
>
> REM SET mozilla_home=J:\mozprofile
> REM SET moz_plugin_path=J:\mozprofile\plugins
> SET mozilla_home=F:\mozprofile
> SET  moz_plugin_path=F:\mozprofile\plugins
>
> Despite doing this, SM still uses the profile located in J.
> REALLY!!

That is not really surprising, use "Seek and Scan Files" tool to look
for the old path in the copied files. You need to edit those files
(careful to use a double backslash when needed). Then there is a binary
file in f:\mozprofile, most likely called registry.dat. You have to
upload that to
<http://www.alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/cgi/readMoz.cgi>,
edit the resulting XML file to contain only the new path, upload that
again to convert back to registry.dat.
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Gerry Chilibeck
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:40:19 UTC, Peter Weilbacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
>
> > I installed PW's SM 1.0 on drive F and copied my profile
> > from J to F.
>
> Copying OK, if you really want to do that, but then you also need to
> edit things, see below. I would recommend to backup the old profile,
> leave it where it is, and just start SeaMonkey with the old MOZILLA_HOME
> setting.

That's the way it is running now.  Both Moz1712 and SM 1.0 work fine.
I'll leave it at that.

> > I then went to config.sys and added these lines:
> >
> > REM SET mozilla_home=J:\mozprofile
> > REM SET moz_plugin_path=J:\mozprofile\plugins
> > SET mozilla_home=F:\mozprofile
> > SET  moz_plugin_path=F:\mozprofile\plugins
> >
> > Despite doing this, SM still uses the profile located in J.
> > REALLY!!
>
> That is not really surprising, use "Seek and Scan Files" tool to look
> for the old path in the copied files. You need to edit those files
> (careful to use a double backslash when needed). Then there is a binary
> file in f:\mozprofile, most likely called registry.dat. You have to
> upload that to
> <http://www.alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/cgi/readMoz.cgi>,
> edit the resulting XML file to contain only the new path, upload that
> again to convert back to registry.dat.

I took a look at doing this and it is all not really necessary (and a
little
beyond my talents).

But a final question.  How can I move my mozprofile directory on a
new SM installation,  to say 1.1?

Do I move the profile dir, change config.sys, reboot, and then Install
SM 1.1?  Will this then set register.dat and os2.ini correctly for the
move and new install??   Thanks.....

--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2)
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

William L. Hartzell
Sir:

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
<snip>
> But a final question.  How can I move my mozprofile directory on a
> new SM installation,  to say 1.1?
>
> Do I move the profile dir, change config.sys, reboot, and then Install
> SM 1.1?  Will this then set register.dat and os2.ini correctly for the
> move and new install??   Thanks.....

The whole ideal behind the Mozilla_Home was to put the profile folder
someplace and leave it there.  Why do you keep on moving it?  Every
since they came up with this ideal, my Mozprofile folder has been in the
same spot on D: drive.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Steve Wendt
Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

>> <http://www.alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/cgi/readMoz.cgi>,
>> edit the resulting XML file to contain only the new path, upload that
>> again to convert back to registry.dat.
>
> But a final question.  How can I move my mozprofile directory on a
> new SM installation,  to say 1.1?

If you don't want to do it that way, you can remove registry.dat.  When
you start Seamonkey, it will not find any profiles (since that info is
stored in registry.dat), and prompt you to create one.  You can "create"
a "new" one and just point it back at your existing profile when it asks
for the directory to use.  Note that some of the profile data files may
still point to the old directory location (including prefs.js).

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Gerry Chilibeck
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:57:57 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sir:
>
> Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
> <snip>
> > But a final question.  How can I move my mozprofile directory on a
> > new SM installation,  to say 1.1?
> >
> > Do I move the profile dir, change config.sys, reboot, and then Install
> > SM 1.1?  Will this then set register.dat and os2.ini correctly for the
> > move and new install??   Thanks.....
> >

> The whole ideal behind the Mozilla_Home was to put the profile folder
> someplace and leave it there.  Why do you keep on moving it?  Every
> since they came up with this ideal, my Mozprofile folder has been in the
> same spot on D: drive.

I'm just BU/safety conscious.  I don't do FX and TB, just full Moz and
stick
to the GA's, no nightlies.  Also I have been running the Multizilla
extention
for more than a year.

So when Seamonkey became GA, I went for it, wanting to keep the good-
working Moz 1712 on drive J.  It made sense to move my profile to
drive
F the same as SM install.    Now realizing that it's not that easy nor

straight forward.....but I tried!!

I find all Moz stuff very WinX.  Just installs things wherever...don't
know
what/where with pointers in DAT files and OS/2 ini's.  XPI installs
are
easy and for the most part great.  But again, what they put and where
stays a mystery. (Just try to uninstall one)

I guess I'm just of the old school where the application is all in one

place...one directory...like PostNews/2 and Post Road Mailer product.

Gerry Chilibeck wrote:

> I guess I'm just of the old school where the application is all in one
> place...one directory...like PostNews/2 and Post Road Mailer product.

If you want that just don't MOZILLA_HOME (and copy the profile files by
hand on updates).
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup
    Unofficial Mozilla builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: Moz now called SM...Profile problems

Gerry Chilibeck
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:08:38 UTC, Peter Weilbacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerry Chilibeck wrote:
>
> > I guess I'm just of the old school where the application is all in one
> > place...one directory...like PostNews/2 and Post Road Mailer product.
>
> If you want that just don't MOZILLA_HOME (and copy the profile files by
> hand on updates).

You know, I realized that about 5 seconds after I hit the Post button.
--
...Gerry   (on eCS 1.2
[hidden email] (rem the nospam.)