Moz 1.7.13 won't attach files with funny characters in name

Moz 1.7.13 won't attach files with funny characters in name

Paul B. Gallagher
Anyone else noticed this?

I tried to attach and send a file whose name contained the character "Ü"
and all seemed well until I clicked the "Send" button. At that point,
Mozilla popped up a message saying it couldn't find the file -- but the
file name it quoted didn't have the umlaut. (It had taken it into its
head to look for "Ubersetzungen" instead of "Übersetzungen," so no
wonder it couldn't find it.)

Is there a fix or a workaround (other than renaming the file with "Ue")?

AFAIK "Ü" is in the ANSI Western character set (position 220), so it's
not like I'm trying to send a Hindi or CJK character or something...

In case it's relevant, my default code page under Win2K SP4 is Cyrillic
(Russian), where the character at this ANSI code point is "Ь." And if I
substitute that character in the filename, I seem to be able to send it
to myself without difficulty.

TIA

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: Moz 1.7.13 won't attach files with funny characters in name

JAS-11
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Anyone else noticed this?
>
> I tried to attach and send a file whose name contained the character
> "Ü" and all seemed well until I clicked the "Send" button. At that
> point, Mozilla popped up a message saying it couldn't find the file --
> but the file name it quoted didn't have the umlaut. (It had taken it
> into its head to look for "Ubersetzungen" instead of "Übersetzungen,"
> so no wonder it couldn't find it.)
>
> Is there a fix or a workaround (other than renaming the file with "Ue")?
>
> AFAIK "Ü" is in the ANSI Western character set (position 220), so it's
> not like I'm trying to send a Hindi or CJK character or something...
>
> In case it's relevant, my default code page under Win2K SP4 is
> Cyrillic (Russian), where the character at this ANSI code point is
> "Ь." And if I substitute that character in the filename, I seem to be
> able to send it to myself without difficulty.
>
> TIA

Ü  using Alt 0220
using Windows XP PRO

--

You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

JAS wrote:

> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>
>>Anyone else noticed this?
>>
>>I tried to attach and send a file whose name contained the character
>>"Ü" and all seemed well until I clicked the "Send" button. At that
>>point, Mozilla popped up a message saying it couldn't find the file --
>>but the file name it quoted didn't have the umlaut. (It had taken it
>>into its head to look for "Ubersetzungen" instead of "Übersetzungen,"
>>so no wonder it couldn't find it.)
>>
>>Is there a fix or a workaround (other than renaming the file with "Ue")?
>>
>>AFAIK "Ü" is in the ANSI Western character set (position 220), so it's
>>not like I'm trying to send a Hindi or CJK character or something...
>>
>>In case it's relevant, my default code page under Win2K SP4 is
>>Cyrillic (Russian), where the character at this ANSI code point is
>>"Ь." And if I substitute that character in the filename, I seem to be
>>able to send it to myself without difficulty.
>>
>>TIA
>>

> Ü  using Alt 0220
> using Windows XP PRO

Not sure what you're trying to say, can't see how it helps...

Could you give me a complete sentence to work with?

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: Moz 1.7.13 won't attach files with funny characters in name

JM-43
"Paul B. Gallagher" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> JAS wrote:
>
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone else noticed this?
>>>
>>>I tried to attach and send a file whose name contained the character
>>>"Ü" and all seemed well until I clicked the "Send" button. At that
>>>point, Mozilla popped up a message saying it couldn't find the file --
>>>but the file name it quoted didn't have the umlaut. (It had taken it
>>>into its head to look for "Ubersetzungen" instead of "Übersetzungen,"
>>>so no wonder it couldn't find it.)
>>>
>>>Is there a fix or a workaround (other than renaming the file with "Ue")?
>>>
>>>AFAIK "Ü" is in the ANSI Western character set (position 220), so it's
>>>not like I'm trying to send a Hindi or CJK character or something...
>>>
>>>In case it's relevant, my default code page under Win2K SP4 is
>>>Cyrillic (Russian), where the character at this ANSI code point is
>>>"Ь." And if I substitute that character in the filename, I seem to be
>>>able to send it to myself without difficulty.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>> Ü  using Alt 0220
>> using Windows XP PRO
>
> Not sure what you're trying to say, can't see how it helps...
>
> Could you give me a complete sentence to work with?

I would try  %DB   (hex form)  instead of  Ü   in the filename.

What was in the last reply was  the keyboard shortcut
to produce the  Ü   using  Alt+0220  (must be typed
on the numeric keypad),  but that is the problem  that
you are asking about, it is not the solution to entering
a filename that got converted such that the letter became a U..
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm#htmlsym

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

David McRitchie wrote:

> "Paul B. Gallagher" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>
>> JAS wrote:

>>> Ü  using Alt 0220
>>> using Windows XP PRO
>>
>> Not sure what you're trying to say, can't see how it helps...
>>
>> Could you give me a complete sentence to work with?
>
> I would try  %DB   (hex form)  instead of  Ü   in the filename.
>
> What was in the last reply was  the keyboard shortcut
> to produce the  Ü   using  Alt+0220  (must be typed
> on the numeric keypad),  but that is the problem  that
> you are asking about, it is not the solution to entering
> a filename that got converted such that the letter became a U..
> <http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm#htmlsym>

I'm sure that'll work in the sense that it'll keep the computer happy,
but the result (especially if there's more than one funny character) is
a filename that turns to gibberish for the end user.

Paul B. Gallagher