Moving Bugzilla to git?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Moving Bugzilla to git?

Mark Côté
Hi all, I'm the manager of Mozilla's Bugzilla team. We've talked about
this idea before, but I thought I would flesh it out and ask for feedback.

I think we should move the Bugzilla code off of the Bazaar system hosted
by Mozilla and onto git, and maybe even GitHub. There are a few reasons
for this:

* git is pretty much the de facto standard for VCSs these days. This
means many people are familiar with it and like its flexibility (I
certainly do).

* On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
to trunk every month.

* GitHub is extremely popular, and for good reason, since it's a very
powerful system. Exposure via GitHub could mean increased contributions
(whether we can keep up with them or not is, of course, another question. 

* Mozilla would very much like to retire Tinderbox, since Bugzilla is
the only system still using it. Moving to GitHub means we could use
travis-ci, which is really nice (we use it for other projects on my team).

* Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS servers,
both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.

Doing a one-time migration is quite easy using fast-import/fast-export.
I've verified that it works, with one small error that should be simple
to fix (a single file not deleted in the git version).

However, even with some advance warning, I don't think we can convert
and then abandon Bazaar immediately due to Bugzilla's suggested upgrade
path, which is to install a package and then pull updates directly from
the Bazaar repository. If we had to do a security release, it doesn't
seem right to require users to switch VCSs to get that fix. That said, I
don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some grace
period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.

I haven't found a suitable solution to automatically mirror changes from
git to Bazaar; there is one project[1] that at first glance appeared
suitable, but after running into problems, I had a discussion with the
package's author, who stated that there difficult bugs that would
prevent it from working the way we would need it to.

Luckily Bugzilla has already gone through this before, from CVS to
Bazaar, and we have a script[2] that steps through Bazaar commits and
applies them to a CVS repo. I've been modifying that script to do a
similar git-to-bzr translation, and I'm confident I can get it working.
The mirroring would be in a single direction, that is, from git to
Bazaar; after the migration, Bazaar would be read only to everyone
except the mirroring script.

We would still need migration instructions, which I believe we can do
using the old cvs-to-bzr instructions[3] as a base.

As for location of the repository, we could have Mozilla host the
official git repository and set up two-way mirroring to GitHub.

How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.

Mark


[1] https://launchpad.net/bzr-git
[2] http://bzr.mozilla.org/bzr-plugins/bzr-to-cvs/view/head:/bzr-to-cvs.pl
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Randall S. Becker

Hi Mark,

 

If we have a mirror from Bazaar to CVS, we should be able to migrate to git and preserve history quite cleanly. I have used the cvs2git conversion successfully. It is non-destructive and should allow the procedure to be tested and verified prior to making the call to cut over. I am a big fan of git, and have a moderate amount of experience navigating its subtleties, so if you wish to contact me for assistance, don’t hesitate.

 

Regards,

Randall

 

From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Mark Côté
Sent: October-21-13 12:20 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Moving Bugzilla to git?

 

Hi all, I'm the manager of Mozilla's Bugzilla team. We've talked about
this idea before, but I thought I would flesh it out and ask for feedback.
 
I think we should move the Bugzilla code off of the Bazaar system hosted
by Mozilla and onto git, and maybe even GitHub. There are a few reasons
for this:
 
* git is pretty much the de facto standard for VCSs these days. This
means many people are familiar with it and like its flexibility (I
certainly do).
 
* On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
to trunk every month.
 
* GitHub is extremely popular, and for good reason, since it's a very
powerful system. Exposure via GitHub could mean increased contributions
(whether we can keep up with them or not is, of course, another question. 
 
* Mozilla would very much like to retire Tinderbox, since Bugzilla is
the only system still using it. Moving to GitHub means we could use
travis-ci, which is really nice (we use it for other projects on my team).
 
* Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS servers,
both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.
 
Doing a one-time migration is quite easy using fast-import/fast-export.
I've verified that it works, with one small error that should be simple
to fix (a single file not deleted in the git version).
 
However, even with some advance warning, I don't think we can convert
and then abandon Bazaar immediately due to Bugzilla's suggested upgrade
path, which is to install a package and then pull updates directly from
the Bazaar repository. If we had to do a security release, it doesn't
seem right to require users to switch VCSs to get that fix. That said, I
don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some grace
period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.
 
I haven't found a suitable solution to automatically mirror changes from
git to Bazaar; there is one project[1] that at first glance appeared
suitable, but after running into problems, I had a discussion with the
package's author, who stated that there difficult bugs that would
prevent it from working the way we would need it to.
 
Luckily Bugzilla has already gone through this before, from CVS to
Bazaar, and we have a script[2] that steps through Bazaar commits and
applies them to a CVS repo. I've been modifying that script to do a
similar git-to-bzr translation, and I'm confident I can get it working.
The mirroring would be in a single direction, that is, from git to
Bazaar; after the migration, Bazaar would be read only to everyone
except the mirroring script.
 
We would still need migration instructions, which I believe we can do
using the old cvs-to-bzr instructions[3] as a base.
 
As for location of the repository, we could have Mozilla host the
official git repository and set up two-way mirroring to GitHub.
 
How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.
 
Mark
 
 
[1] https://launchpad.net/bzr-git
[2] http://bzr.mozilla.org/bzr-plugins/bzr-to-cvs/view/head:/bzr-to-cvs.pl
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Mark Côté
The initial migration is fairly straightforward; bzr fast-export | git fast-import works very close to perfectly. I have to do a bit of tweaking to fix one tiny problem and to preserve Bazaar's bug ID metadata in the git commit messages, but that's not difficult. The more difficult part is keeping bzr in sync with git after the migration, but that should be possible with a custom script, most of which I have already written.

Mark


On 2013-10-21 12:30 PM, Randall S. Becker wrote:

Hi Mark,

 

If we have a mirror from Bazaar to CVS, we should be able to migrate to git and preserve history quite cleanly. I have used the cvs2git conversion successfully. It is non-destructive and should allow the procedure to be tested and verified prior to making the call to cut over. I am a big fan of git, and have a moderate amount of experience navigating its subtleties, so if you wish to contact me for assistance, don’t hesitate.

 

Regards,

Randall

 

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Mark Côté
Sent: October-21-13 12:20 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Moving Bugzilla to git?

 

Hi all, I'm the manager of Mozilla's Bugzilla team. We've talked about
this idea before, but I thought I would flesh it out and ask for feedback.
 
I think we should move the Bugzilla code off of the Bazaar system hosted
by Mozilla and onto git, and maybe even GitHub. There are a few reasons
for this:
 
* git is pretty much the de facto standard for VCSs these days. This
means many people are familiar with it and like its flexibility (I
certainly do).
 
* On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
to trunk every month.
 
* GitHub is extremely popular, and for good reason, since it's a very
powerful system. Exposure via GitHub could mean increased contributions
(whether we can keep up with them or not is, of course, another question. 
 
* Mozilla would very much like to retire Tinderbox, since Bugzilla is
the only system still using it. Moving to GitHub means we could use
travis-ci, which is really nice (we use it for other projects on my team).
 
* Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS servers,
both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.
 
Doing a one-time migration is quite easy using fast-import/fast-export.
I've verified that it works, with one small error that should be simple
to fix (a single file not deleted in the git version).
 
However, even with some advance warning, I don't think we can convert
and then abandon Bazaar immediately due to Bugzilla's suggested upgrade
path, which is to install a package and then pull updates directly from
the Bazaar repository. If we had to do a security release, it doesn't
seem right to require users to switch VCSs to get that fix. That said, I
don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some grace
period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.
 
I haven't found a suitable solution to automatically mirror changes from
git to Bazaar; there is one project[1] that at first glance appeared
suitable, but after running into problems, I had a discussion with the
package's author, who stated that there difficult bugs that would
prevent it from working the way we would need it to.
 
Luckily Bugzilla has already gone through this before, from CVS to
Bazaar, and we have a script[2] that steps through Bazaar commits and
applies them to a CVS repo. I've been modifying that script to do a
similar git-to-bzr translation, and I'm confident I can get it working.
The mirroring would be in a single direction, that is, from git to
Bazaar; after the migration, Bazaar would be read only to everyone
except the mirroring script.
 
We would still need migration instructions, which I believe we can do
using the old cvs-to-bzr instructions[3] as a base.
 
As for location of the repository, we could have Mozilla host the
official git repository and set up two-way mirroring to GitHub.
 
How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.
 
Mark
 
 
[1] https://launchpad.net/bzr-git
[2] http://bzr.mozilla.org/bzr-plugins/bzr-to-cvs/view/head:/bzr-to-cvs.pl
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar
 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Dave Miller
In reply to this post by Mark Côté


"Mark Côté" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I think we should move the Bugzilla code off of the Bazaar system
>hosted
>by Mozilla and onto git, and maybe even GitHub.

For the record, I support this plan. If for no other reason, because github has check-in monitoring tools very similar to bonsai, which is something bzr is still missing (loggerhead isn't quite there).

>* On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
>to trunk every month.

This is a poor data point though. That could only mean it's stable. (Don't fix what isn't broken). A real qualifier here would be time-to-fix on important bugs.

>* GitHub is extremely popular, and for good reason, since it's a very
>powerful system. Exposure via GitHub could mean increased contributions
>(whether we can keep up with them or not is, of course, another
>question.

I'm personally kind of ambivalent on whether to make github the master copy or git.mozilla.org, but if we use git.mozilla.org, we should definitely mirror it to github.

>* Mozilla would very much like to retire Tinderbox, since Bugzilla is
>the only system still using it.

Not to mention it's full of security holes nobody wants to fix, which means we have to have it locked down where no one but the core contributors can access it, and it would be really nice to let anyone get to it again.

>* Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS
>servers,
>both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.

Not true in the case of CVS, but pretty close. There's one other project besides us still using it.

>That said, I don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some
>grace period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
>would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
>so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.

The rule we stated before was that we would stop mirroring new branches to CVS and would stop supporting CVS altogether as soon as the last branch mirrored there was no longer supported. There is currently one branch left mirrored to CVS, so the next time we do a new branch release it goes bye bye, if we stick to that promise.

Now... I'm not against forcing people to switch VCS systems to upgrade from a Bazaar release...  moving from bzr to git is *considerably* easier than moving from CVS to bzr. I think a pre-defined grace period is a good compromise in this case.

>As for location of the repository, we could have Mozilla host the
>official git repository and set up two-way mirroring to GitHub.

+1

>How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
>of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.

I'm behind this if no one had strong objections.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Dave Lawrence
In reply to this post by Mark Côté
+1 and not just because Mcote is my boss :)

dkl

On 10/21/2013 12:19 PM, Mark Côté wrote:

> Hi all, I'm the manager of Mozilla's Bugzilla team. We've talked about
> this idea before, but I thought I would flesh it out and ask for feedback.
>
> I think we should move the Bugzilla code off of the Bazaar system hosted
> by Mozilla and onto git, and maybe even GitHub. There are a few reasons
> for this:
>
> * git is pretty much the de facto standard for VCSs these days. This
> means many people are familiar with it and like its flexibility (I
> certainly do).
>
> * On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
> to trunk every month.
>
> * GitHub is extremely popular, and for good reason, since it's a very
> powerful system. Exposure via GitHub could mean increased contributions
> (whether we can keep up with them or not is, of course, another question.
>
> * Mozilla would very much like to retire Tinderbox, since Bugzilla is
> the only system still using it. Moving to GitHub means we could use
> travis-ci, which is really nice (we use it for other projects on my team).
>
> * Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS servers,
> both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.
>
> Doing a one-time migration is quite easy using fast-import/fast-export.
> I've verified that it works, with one small error that should be simple
> to fix (a single file not deleted in the git version).
>
> However, even with some advance warning, I don't think we can convert
> and then abandon Bazaar immediately due to Bugzilla's suggested upgrade
> path, which is to install a package and then pull updates directly from
> the Bazaar repository. If we had to do a security release, it doesn't
> seem right to require users to switch VCSs to get that fix. That said, I
> don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some grace
> period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
> would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
> so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.
>
> I haven't found a suitable solution to automatically mirror changes from
> git to Bazaar; there is one project[1] that at first glance appeared
> suitable, but after running into problems, I had a discussion with the
> package's author, who stated that there difficult bugs that would
> prevent it from working the way we would need it to.
>
> Luckily Bugzilla has already gone through this before, from CVS to
> Bazaar, and we have a script[2] that steps through Bazaar commits and
> applies them to a CVS repo. I've been modifying that script to do a
> similar git-to-bzr translation, and I'm confident I can get it working.
> The mirroring would be in a single direction, that is, from git to
> Bazaar; after the migration, Bazaar would be read only to everyone
> except the mirroring script.
>
> We would still need migration instructions, which I believe we can do
> using the old cvs-to-bzr instructions[3] as a base.
>
> As for location of the repository, we could have Mozilla host the
> official git repository and set up two-way mirroring to GitHub.
>
> How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
> of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.
>
> Mark
>
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/bzr-git
> [2] http://bzr.mozilla.org/bzr-plugins/bzr-to-cvs/view/head:/bzr-to-cvs.pl
> [3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar
>

--
David Lawrence
[hidden email]
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Mark Côté
In reply to this post by Dave Miller
On 2013-10-21 1:01 PM, Dave Miller wrote:
>
> "Mark Côté" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> * On the other side, Bazaar is almost dead. There are maybe 2-3 commits
>> to trunk every month.
> This is a poor data point though. That could only mean it's stable. (Don't fix what isn't broken). A real qualifier here would be time-to-fix on important bugs.
True. It appears that that metric is low as well. There was a big
discussion on the Emacs developers' list about moving to git. The
general consensus seems to have been that bug fixes in Bazaar take a
very long time. Essentially RMS had get involved to get a bug that was
very important to them fixed.
>
>> * Mozilla would also very much like to retire the Bazaar and CVS
>> servers,
>> both of which are used solely by Bugzilla.
> Not true in the case of CVS, but pretty close. There's one other project besides us still using it.
Ah, I stand corrected.
>
>> That said, I don't think we need to maintain Bazaar indefinitely, just for some
>> grace period. I suggest 9 months, which would put that sometime mid-2014. I
>> would, however, like to shut down CVS when we migrate to git,
>> so that we don't have to maintain three VCSs at the same time.
> The rule we stated before was that we would stop mirroring new branches to CVS and would stop supporting CVS altogether as soon as the last branch mirrored there was no longer supported. There is currently one branch left mirrored to CVS, so the next time we do a new branch release it goes bye bye, if we stick to that promise.
Okay, good to know.

Mark

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Colin Ogilvie
In reply to this post by Mark Côté
On 21 October 2013 17:19, Mark Côté <[hidden email]> wrote:
How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.

Git seems far more supported and easier to use than bzr, and being on github may, as you say, encourage contributors.

I'd say go for it in my view...

Cheers,

Colin
-- 
Colin Ogilvie

There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't. 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

David Marshall-5

On Oct 21, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Colin Ogilvie <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> On 21 October 2013 17:19, Mark Côté <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the rest
> of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.
>
>
> Git seems far more supported and easier to use than bzr, and being on github may, as you say, encourage contributors.
>

I recall that Max once gave me a lot of reasons why bzr was preferred to git. That was a long time ago, so some of his objections may have been mitigated.

I wouldn't have thought that Mozilla had a github.com presence, but it does, so I recommend hosting directly on github.com. It would be probably be easier to manage pull requests there.

FWIW, I think it is possible to configure launchpad.net to import from git directly, so folks would probably be able to pull bazaar updates from there.

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Mark Côté


David Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>On Oct 21, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Colin Ogilvie
><[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21 October 2013 17:19, Mark Côté <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How does this sound to everyone? Any strong objections? I and the
>rest
>> of the BMO team are willing to do most of the work.
>>
>>
>> Git seems far more supported and easier to use than bzr, and being on
>github may, as you say, encourage contributors.
>>
>
>I recall that Max once gave me a lot of reasons why bzr was preferred
>to git. That was a long time ago, so some of his objections may have
>been mitigated.

That was before my time, so I am unfamiliar with his reasons. I will, however, admit my reasons are more pragmatic than technical, though I do really like git's design, now that I've mostly wrapped my head around it.

>I wouldn't have thought that Mozilla had a github.com presence, but it
>does, so I recommend hosting directly on github.com. It would be
>probably be easier to manage pull requests there.

Indeed we do. I believe the larger projects are mirrored from our own git repo (so that is a solved problem for Bugzilla), but many are located primarily or solely on github.

>
>FWIW, I think it is possible to configure launchpad.net to import from
>git directly, so folks would probably be able to pull bazaar updates
>from there.

That is very interesting. I'll check into that.

Thanks,
Mark


-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Dave Miller
In reply to this post by David Marshall-5
David Marshall wrote:
> I recall that Max once gave me a lot of reasons why bzr was preferred
> to git. That was a long time ago, so some of his objections may have
> been mitigated.

IIRC, git was brand spanking new at the time, and was basically
considered by most people to just be one of Linus's toys.  It wasn't
considered a mature VCS at the time.  It's come a LONG way since then.

--
Dave Miller http://www.justdave.net/
IT Infrastructure Engineer, Mozilla http://www.mozilla.org/
Project Leader, Bugzilla Bug Tracking System http://www.bugzilla.org/

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Frédéric Buclin
In reply to this post by David Marshall-5
Le 22. 10. 13 01:55, David Marshall a écrit :
> I recall that Max once gave me a lot of reasons why bzr was preferred
> to git. That was a long time ago, so some of his objections may have
> been mitigated.

For the record, here are the discussions about bzr vs Hg vs git:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bug-tracking.bugzilla.devel/day=20090904

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bug-tracking.bugzilla.devel/day=20081220

Do not forget to read comments posted the following days as there are
much more replies than those displayed on a single page.


About killing bzr in 9 months, I'm opposed to that. I'm not speaking as
a former Bugzilla approver/core developer but as a Bugzilla installation
maintainer (GCC Bugzilla). It's way too short, and it's a pain to move
to another VCS when doing minor upgrades (i.e. on the same branch). Just
for your information, we stopped using CVS and moved to bzr for GCC
Bugzilla only *5 months* ago, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=52239. It wasn't because I
didn't want to move to bzr earlier, but because I *technically*
couldn't. Now the migration is done, GCC Bugzilla is running 4.4.1, and
I don't expect to have to move to git to upgrade to another 4.4.x
release. So we should stop running the bzr server only when the 4.4
branch reaches EOL, which means at the end of 2015 or 2016 at the
earliest. Sorry if that seems too long for you.


And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
language.


LpSolit
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Denis Roy
On 10/24/2013 04:09 PM, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
> absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
> Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
> language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
> language.
FWIW, when Bugzilla was on CVS I used to submit the occasional patch,
but the switch to bzr killed me.  Like you, I couldn't get bzr running
and after trying exactly once, I gave up.  I now upgrade Bugzilla using
tarballs and patches.

If I can fix small bugs fairly easily, I will, but I didn't feel like
struggling with bzr.  If Mozilla uses a code review system like Gerrit
(I highly recommend it), it makes reviewing and accepting contributions
a breeze.

YMMV

Denis
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Damien
In reply to this post by Frédéric Buclin
>
> And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
> absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
> Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
> language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
> language.
>

Speaking for myself only, I would __strongly__ disagree that VCS is irrelevant.

Be it gitorious or github, I like to be able to simply fork something, push,
send a pull request. Some will think it is a "throwing garbage over the wall"
mentality but hey that works for me...

https://github.com/dnozay/bugzilla
https://travis-ci.org/dnozay/bugzilla
Actually I lie, I let Travis test my changes before I throw them over the wall.

Contributing something to bzr goes like this:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Developers  <--- 11 steps!
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Committing_Patches <--- 11 steps!
http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/committer/ <---- errrhhh.

Language matters of course, but I don't want to use bzr. VCS matters too.
I don't want to do anything with bzr; "my religion is against it".
I believe if the tools are easy to use, people will use them.

Contributing to git goes like this:
1. fork the repo.
2. make your changes.
3. push to your copy.
4. you think it's ready, send a pull request


+1 for Gerrit suggestion for review process even though I'm not really a fan.

-
dnozay
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Tiago Mello
In reply to this post by Frédéric Buclin


Em 24/10/2013 18:10, "Frédéric Buclin" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
> And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
> absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
> Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
> language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
> language.
It's not irrelevant. Having a good infrastructure for development is key. A project isn't built only by its programming language.

I +1 for git and github

--
timello

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Tiago Mello-2
In reply to this post by Frédéric Buclin

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Frédéric Buclin <[hidden email]> wrote:

And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
language.


It's not irrelevant. Having a good infrastructure for development is key. A project isn't built only by its programming language.

I +1 for git and github

--

timello  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Stephanie Daugherty
In reply to this post by Tiago Mello
+1 to github as well, mozilla already operates an organizational account (https://github.com/mozilla) and github provides functionality to painlessly accept casual contributions, which IMHO are badly needed to revitalize the project.




On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Tiago Mello <[hidden email]> wrote:


Em 24/10/2013 18:10, "Frédéric Buclin" <[hidden email]> escreveu:


>
> And about attracting more contributors thanks to a migration to git, I
> absolutely don't believe in this at all. I spent enough time on the
> Bugzilla project to know that it's irrelevant. What matters is the
> language used by Bugzilla, i.e. Perl, and developers coding in this
> language.
It's not irrelevant. Having a good infrastructure for development is key. A project isn't built only by its programming language.

I +1 for git and github

--
timello


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Gervase Markham
In reply to this post by David Marshall-5
On 24/10/13 21:09, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> for your information, we stopped using CVS and moved to bzr for GCC
> Bugzilla only *5 months* ago, see
> http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=52239. It wasn't because I
> didn't want to move to bzr earlier, but because I *technically*
> couldn't.

Reading that bug, it looks like the issue was that the server couldn't
run bzr because the Python version was too old. (There were also issues
with upgrading Bugzilla, but those are separate - a VCS change should
IMO be done between two copies of Bugzilla which are identical.)

Do we know what dependencies git has, and whether it runs OK on older
Linux distros? Can someone produce a statically-linked git binary that
runs everywhere?

> Now the migration is done, GCC Bugzilla is running 4.4.1, and
> I don't expect to have to move to git to upgrade to another 4.4.x
> release.

I realise that moving to git is some work, but why do you link it to
upgrading to another release? Using instructions like:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar , you could
move "sideways" to the same version but on git, in not too much time.
Couldn't you?

Gerv
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Stephanie Daugherty
Git should work well on older Linux distros, since that's where the
toolchain originated and has been developed the longest. The official
implementation is written in C, and is portable to Windows, Mac, Linux, and
just about every other unix-like platform out there. It's generally
installable from official packages or third party repositories even on
older distros, so that shouldn't be much of a problem - any distro still
recieving vendor support probably has git packages

A statically linked binary is possible, but probably unnecessary for most
users
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11570188/how-to-build-git-with-static-linking

Further, bzr has plugins for mostly complete git interoperability: *
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/foreign/bzr-on-git-projects.html


*




On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/10/13 21:09, Frédéric Buclin wrote:
> > for your information, we stopped using CVS and moved to bzr for GCC
> > Bugzilla only *5 months* ago, see
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=52239. It wasn't because I
> > didn't want to move to bzr earlier, but because I *technically*
> > couldn't.
>
> Reading that bug, it looks like the issue was that the server couldn't
> run bzr because the Python version was too old. (There were also issues
> with upgrading Bugzilla, but those are separate - a VCS change should
> IMO be done between two copies of Bugzilla which are identical.)
>
> Do we know what dependencies git has, and whether it runs OK on older
> Linux distros? Can someone produce a statically-linked git binary that
> runs everywhere?
>
> > Now the migration is done, GCC Bugzilla is running 4.4.1, and
> > I don't expect to have to move to git to upgrade to another 4.4.x
> > release.
>
> I realise that moving to git is some work, but why do you link it to
> upgrading to another release? Using instructions like:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:Moving_From_CVS_To_Bazaar , you could
> move "sideways" to the same version but on git, in not too much time.
> Couldn't you?
>
> Gerv
> _______________________________________________
> dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
> -
> To view or change your list settings, click here:
> <http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>
>
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=$MSGRCPT>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Frédéric Buclin
In reply to this post by Gervase Markham
Le 25. 10. 13 14:08, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> I realise that moving to git is some work, but why do you link it to
> upgrading to another release?

Because the problem to upgrade to 4.4 was that it was available on bzr
only, while 4.0 was the last branch available on CVS. So let's say that
4.0.11 was only available on bzr for some reason, then I would have been
unable to upgrade from  4.0.x to 4.0.y (y > x). If you decide to do that
for e.g. Bugzilla 4.4 and for some reason git cannot be installed, then
you would have the same problem, i.e. unable to upgrade from 4.4.x to
4.4.y. One could say I could use tarballs or diffs, but that's more work.

LpSolit

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists+s6506n84121h51@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Moving Bugzilla to git?

Stephanie Daugherty
There seems to be sufficient bidirectional support between bzr and git to at least be able to maintain a workable mirror without the same level of overhead that continuing to support CVS requires..


On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Frédéric Buclin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 25. 10. 13 14:08, Gervase Markham a écrit :
> I realise that moving to git is some work, but why do you link it to
> upgrading to another release?

Because the problem to upgrade to 4.4 was that it was available on bzr
only, while 4.0 was the last branch available on CVS. So let's say that
4.0.11 was only available on bzr for some reason, then I would have been
unable to upgrade from  4.0.x to 4.0.y (y > x). If you decide to do that
for e.g. Bugzilla 4.4 and for some reason git cannot be installed, then
you would have the same problem, i.e. unable to upgrade from 4.4.x to
4.4.y. One could say I could use tarballs or diffs, but that's more work.

LpSolit

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=sdaugherty@...>

12