More problems with SM 1.0 extension locales

More problems with SM 1.0 extension locales

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Hello,

Again, I've screwed it with SM 1.0 Windows installer, regarding DOM
Inspector, but when I checked it in detail, I saw that some updated
strings had appeared and I've translated them.

However, again I get the annoying red error messages in UI that I got
with ChatZilla (not the exact same error, of course, this time is
related to DOM Inspector), and the entity that claims to be missing
from my locale is there. I've run compare-locales.pl against the en-US
vs. es-ES locale, and all seems to be OK.

Up to now, I haven't built a new installer; instead, I use the
previous es-ES Windows installer unchecking DOM Inspector and then I
install the XPI. I think this should work, but it doesn't. The file
installed-chrome.txt correctly shows es-ES locale registered.

I miss some more info about why this error appear, and of course, a
way to fix the error itself. Is there any way to get SM to create a
log of its execution that could give me more info? Has something
changed between Mozilla Suite 1.7.12 and SeaMonkey 1.0 that could
possibly affect locale registration?

I don't really like the idea of putting all es-ES locale inside
es-ES.jar, without caring about if the strings belong themselves to
the core program or separate extensions. Upgrading browser.xpi or
mail.xpi has no sense, but upgrading an included extension, like
ChatZilla or DOM Inspector, is likely to happen, and I think the
locales of those extensions should be kept in the extension JAR itself
to avoid conflicts.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, how do other SeaMonkey L10N teams
manage these sort of things? Am I the only one translating the extensions?

TIA

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: More problems with SM 1.0 extension locales

Robert Kaiser
Ricardo Palomares Martinez schrieb:
> Up to now, I haven't built a new installer; instead, I use the
> previous es-ES Windows installer unchecking DOM Inspector and then I
> install the XPI. I think this should work, but it doesn't. The file
> installed-chrome.txt correctly shows es-ES locale registered.

It only shows that it's listed to get registered, chrome.rdf is where
the it's really registered in...

> I miss some more info about why this error appear, and of course, a
> way to fix the error itself. Is there any way to get SM to create a
> log of its execution that could give me more info? Has something
> changed between Mozilla Suite 1.7.12 and SeaMonkey 1.0 that could
> possibly affect locale registration?

Hmm, nothing has changed in that area that I know of...

> I don't really like the idea of putting all es-ES locale inside
> es-ES.jar, without caring about if the strings belong themselves to
> the core program or separate extensions. Upgrading browser.xpi or
> mail.xpi has no sense, but upgrading an included extension, like
> ChatZilla or DOM Inspector, is likely to happen, and I think the
> locales of those extensions should be kept in the extension JAR itself
> to avoid conflicts.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. BTW, how do other SeaMonkey L10N teams
> manage these sort of things? Am I the only one translating the extensions?

I'm also translating them, see the German (de-AT) language pack, I've
been putting them into en-US.jar for a quite long time now though, and I
never heard of major problems there...
Only calendar is likely to cause problems every now and then, as their
XPIs often differ from the in-tree versions used by me for localizing :-/

Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser escribió:

> Ricardo Palomares Martinez schrieb:
>> Any help would be appreciated. BTW, how do other SeaMonkey L10N teams
>> manage these sort of things? Am I the only one translating the
>> extensions?
>
> I'm also translating them, see the German (de-AT) language pack, I've
> been putting them into en-US.jar for a quite long time now though, and I
> never heard of major problems there...
> Only calendar is likely to cause problems every now and then, as their
> XPIs often differ from the in-tree versions used by me for localizing :-/

Well, I've updated the langpack to include the translation of all
extensions shipped in the SeaMonkey installer. The XPI has been
generated with patched Mozilla Translator to include OS/2 awareness.

Furthermore, it has been noted at moz.dev.apps.seamonkey that the
es-ES langpack was overwritten with the eu-ES one in mozilla.org FTP
(http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.0/contrib-localized/),
so it may be a good idea to refresh the es-ES langpack, which is
located at:

http://nave.escomposlinux.org/productos/seamonkey/1.0/descargas/seamonkey-1.0.es-ES.langpack.xpi

517657 bytes, MD5: f2d8e9c61ead16eaee93557661698b4f

MLP staff, could you please upload it to ftp.mozilla.org?

Thanks a lot.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Re: More problems with SM 1.0 extension locales

Robert Kaiser
Ricardo Palomares Martinez schrieb:
> http://nave.escomposlinux.org/productos/seamonkey/1.0/descargas/seamonkey-1.0.es-ES.langpack.xpi
>
> 517657 bytes, MD5: f2d8e9c61ead16eaee93557661698b4f
>
> MLP staff, could you please upload it to ftp.mozilla.org?

Looks like I've done that before you reminded us to do so :)

At least the MD5 looks correct (I've done it a few hours ago), so I
guess it's the correct file already.

Robert Kaiser