More on News/E-mail sorting

David T.L. Wong
Hi all,

   I have been using thunderbird, and netscape before, for long. Primary
for playing with Hong Kong local NNTP news server.
   I have a feature request of news sorting in thunderbird. Particularly
more options of sort priority.
   There are many people posting message dated in future, so that the
article appear at top. With group-by-thread sorting option, "future"
article also appears as root of a thread.
   It is really annoying and I would like to fix this problem. Can
anyone guide me that where should I start with? I am a C/C++ coder in
embedded system and with knowledge of java, so reading javascript is not
a problem.
   I suggest adding a feature of sorting by "NNTP-Posting-Date:" line. I
am not very familiar with IETF internet standard. My suggestion may not
be standard compliance, but sorting by the server date or "usenet
injection date" is very helpful.

David Wong
Linux & Mac user
from
Hong Kong SAR, China

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

EE-2
David T.L. Wong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have been using thunderbird, and netscape before, for long. Primary
> for playing with Hong Kong local NNTP news server.
>   I have a feature request of news sorting in thunderbird. Particularly
> more options of sort priority.
>   There are many people posting message dated in future, so that the
> article appear at top. With group-by-thread sorting option, "future"
> article also appears as root of a thread.
>   It is really annoying and I would like to fix this problem. Can anyone
> guide me that where should I start with? I am a C/C++ coder in embedded
> system and with knowledge of java, so reading javascript is not a problem.
>   I suggest adding a feature of sorting by "NNTP-Posting-Date:" line. I
> am not very familiar with IETF internet standard. My suggestion may not
> be standard compliance, but sorting by the server date or "usenet
> injection date" is very helpful.
>
> David Wong
> Linux & Mac user
> from
> Hong Kong SAR, China

Why not sort by order received instead of by date?

EE wrote:

> David T.L. Wong wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I have been using thunderbird, and netscape before, for long.
>> Primary for playing with Hong Kong local NNTP news server.
>>   I have a feature request of news sorting in thunderbird.
>> Particularly more options of sort priority.
>>   There are many people posting message dated in future, so that the
>> article appear at top. With group-by-thread sorting option, "future"
>> article also appears as root of a thread.
>>   It is really annoying and I would like to fix this problem. Can
>> anyone guide me that where should I start with? I am a C/C++ coder in
>> embedded system and with knowledge of java, so reading javascript is
>> not a problem.
>>   I suggest adding a feature of sorting by "NNTP-Posting-Date:" line.
>> I am not very familiar with IETF internet standard. My suggestion may
>> not be standard compliance, but sorting by the server date or "usenet
>> injection date" is very helpful.
>>
>> David Wong
>> Linux & Mac user
>> from
>> Hong Kong SAR, China
>
> Why not sort by order received instead of by date?

When group by thread, the second priority is still the date. "future"
article still appears as root of a thread.

I haven't tried sort by order received. Is it equal to "sort by article
number" in Netscape? If so, it has problem if news server resets and all
articles start counting from #1 again.

David

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

Emmanuel E

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

Emmanuel E

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

Emmanuel E
I agree this is really a pain with Thunderbird. It refuses to sort in
the order received by the mail/news server. It either sorts in the order
received by Thunderbird or using the Sent Date which is easily forged.

I had posted this wish much earlier but it looks like it isnt important
to merit development.

Outlook Express and Outlook handle this far more intuitively  as  they
use  the  Received  Timestamp of the server.

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

Emmanuel E
Whew! Anyone have a clue as to why it took so many blank postings to get
this one on the list...

Emmanuel E wrote:

> I agree this is really a pain with Thunderbird. It refuses to sort in
> the order received by the mail/news server. It either sorts in the order
> received by Thunderbird or using the Sent Date which is easily forged.
>
> I had posted this wish much earlier but it looks like it isnt important
> to merit development.
>
> Outlook Express and Outlook handle this far more intuitively  as  they
> use  the  Received  Timestamp of the server.

Re: More on News/E-mail sorting

David T.L. Wong
Anyone would like to guide me through making plug-in or patching the
source code?

I have no problem in C/C++, but not familiar with XPCOM ( COM is too
complex in my point of view ).

David