More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Axel Hecht
Hi,

I've added some checks to compare-locales for .properties (bugs on .dtd
are already filed), and I was hoping you guys would chime in on the data
I got.

I ran this on a rather recent copy of 1.9.2, against firefox.

WARNING are warning messages, i.e., things worth looking at, but AFAICT
not technically errors.

ERROR are things that may very well just crash.

I'd be interested in warnings that should be errors, or errors that
should really just be warnings, or feedback in general.

Thanks, and fear a dashboard near you in space and time :-)

Axel

cl-properties.txt (67K) Download Attachment

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

wladow-2
There's just one error for sk:
sk/toolkit/chrome/mozapps/extensions/extensions.properties
     ERROR: argument 3 `S` obsolete at line 99, column 26 within
newAddonsNotificationMsg2

If I'm reading the error msg correctly, the third %S in the string is
considered obsolete? If so, it isn't obsolete for sure, the
newAddonsNotificationMsg2 is a pluralForm and we need a third form here.

Not sure why this is the only pluralForm string the cl is complaining about.

--
wladow

On 24.03.10 10:15, wladow wrote:

> There's just one error for sk:
> sk/toolkit/chrome/mozapps/extensions/extensions.properties
> ERROR: argument 3 `S` obsolete at line 99, column 26 within
> newAddonsNotificationMsg2
>
> If I'm reading the error msg correctly, the third %S in the string is
> considered obsolete? If so, it isn't obsolete for sure, the
> newAddonsNotificationMsg2 is a pluralForm and we need a third form here.
>
> Not sure why this is the only pluralForm string the cl is complaining
> about.

Good catch, gotta think about how I'll fix that. Thanks.

Axel

> --
> wladow
>
> Dňa 24.03.2010 02:35, Axel Hecht wrote / napísal(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've added some checks to compare-locales for .properties (bugs on .dtd
>> are already filed), and I was hoping you guys would chime in on the data
>> I got.
>>
>> I ran this on a rather recent copy of 1.9.2, against firefox.
>>
>> WARNING are warning messages, i.e., things worth looking at, but AFAICT
>> not technically errors.
>>
>> ERROR are things that may very well just crash.
>>
>> I'd be interested in warnings that should be errors, or errors that
>> should really just be warnings, or feedback in general.
>>
>> Thanks, and fear a dashboard near you in space and time :-)
>>
>> Axel

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Mad Maks
On 03/24/2010 02:35 AM, Axel Hecht wrote:

> nl/dom/chrome
>    appstrings.properties
>        ERROR: argument 1 `S` obsolete at line 45, column 20 within confirmRepostPrompt
>    layout/css.properties
>        ERROR: Double ordered argument 1 at line 101, column 86 within PEPseudoClassNoClose
> nl:
> keys: 940
> unchanged: 615
> changed: 4580
> errors: 2
> 88% of entries changed

thanks, i have fixed them. But are they errors or warnings, these
"errors" where there for a long time (change in en-us at 5 jan 2008)
without breaking the builds

greetings

MM

On 24.03.10 15:00, Mad Maks wrote:

> On 03/24/2010 02:35 AM, Axel Hecht wrote:
>> nl/dom/chrome
>> appstrings.properties
>> ERROR: argument 1 `S` obsolete at line 45, column 20 within
>> confirmRepostPrompt
>> layout/css.properties
>> ERROR: Double ordered argument 1 at line 101, column 86 within
>> PEPseudoClassNoClose
>> nl:
>> keys: 940
>> unchanged: 615
>> changed: 4580
>> errors: 2
>> 88% of entries changed
>
> thanks, i have fixed them. But are they errors or warnings, these
> "errors" where there for a long time (change in en-us at 5 jan 2008)
> without breaking the builds

I did some local tests, and I got "(null)" inserted for a missing
argument to S. It's not crashing, which is nice, but it's still an error.

Axel

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Vito Smolej-3
On 24 mar., 02:35, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be interested in warnings that should be errors, or errors that
> should really just be warnings, or feedback in general.
>
> Thanks, and fear a dashboard near you in space and time :-)
>
> Axel
>
>  cl-properties.txt
> 66 1KPrikažiPrenesi

Here's my check of  warnings in sl material

  browser/chrome/browser

    feeds/subscribe.properties
1        WARNING: trailing argument 2 `S` missing at line 2, column 11
within addHandler
                addHandler=Add "%S" (%S) as a Feed Reader?

    tabbrowser.properties
2        WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 7, column 30
within tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs
        source: tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs=You are about to close %S tabs.
Are you sure you want to continue?

  dom/chrome/layout/xmlparser.properties
3      ERROR: argument 3 `d` should be `u`, argument 4 `d` should be
`u` at line 76, column 18 within XMLParsingError
      source:  XMLParsingError = XML Parsing Error: %1$S\nLocation:
%2$S\nLine Number %3$u, Column %4$u:
          (translation already corrected before Axel's check, but not
committed)

  toolkit/chrome/mozapps/profile/profileSelection.properties
4      WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 12, column 13
within pleaseSelect
      source:  pleaseSelect=Please select a profile to begin %S, or
create a new profile.
      WARNING: trailing argument 3 `S` missing at line 15, column 15
within profileLocked2
      source: profileLocked2=%S cannot use the profile "%S" because it
is in use.\n\nTo continue, close the running instance of %S or choose
a different profile.

Re three Warnings 1,2 and 4: the translation is correct, it's the
source that's wrong. Would it not make sense to correct the source and
propagate it through all the "wrong" localizations? Surely it would
not hurt to fix the source. Except if by some divine intervention en-
US versions do not crash on this kind of noneties.

Or, am I missing something?

PS: my en-US source is mozilla-1-9-2-3a6d01ad4e52
PPS: Let the dashboard be with you, Axel;)

On 24.03.10 22:00, smo wrote:

> On 24 mar., 02:35, Axel Hecht<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> I'd be interested in warnings that should be errors, or errors that
>> should really just be warnings, or feedback in general.
>>
>> Thanks, and fear a dashboard near you in space and time :-)
>>
>> Axel
>>
>>   cl-properties.txt
>> 66 1KPrikažiPrenesi
>
> Here's my check of  warnings in sl material
>
>    browser/chrome/browser
>
>      feeds/subscribe.properties
> 1        WARNING: trailing argument 2 `S` missing at line 2, column 11
> within addHandler
> addHandler=Add "%S" (%S) as a Feed Reader?
>
>      tabbrowser.properties
> 2        WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 7, column 30
> within tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs
> source: tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs=You are about to close %S tabs.
> Are you sure you want to continue?
>
>    dom/chrome/layout/xmlparser.properties
> 3      ERROR: argument 3 `d` should be `u`, argument 4 `d` should be
> `u` at line 76, column 18 within XMLParsingError
>        source:  XMLParsingError = XML Parsing Error: %1$S\nLocation:
> %2$S\nLine Number %3$u, Column %4$u:
>  (translation already corrected before Axel's check, but not
> committed)
>
>    toolkit/chrome/mozapps/profile/profileSelection.properties
> 4      WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 12, column 13
> within pleaseSelect
>        source:  pleaseSelect=Please select a profile to begin %S, or
> create a new profile.
>        WARNING: trailing argument 3 `S` missing at line 15, column 15
> within profileLocked2
>        source: profileLocked2=%S cannot use the profile "%S" because it
> is in use.\n\nTo continue, close the running instance of %S or choose
> a different profile.
>
> Re three Warnings 1,2 and 4: the translation is correct, it's the
> source that's wrong. Would it not make sense to correct the source and
> propagate it through all the "wrong" localizations? Surely it would
> not hurt to fix the source. Except if by some divine intervention en-
> US versions do not crash on this kind of noneties.

Mind explaining why the source is wrong? Like,
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/browser/components/feeds/src/WebContentConverter.js#589
is what I find to be feeding the content there, and it's very much
feeding two arguments.

Axel

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Robert Kaiser
Axel Hecht wrote:
> de
> [...]
>    toolkit/chrome/mozapps/update/updates.properties
>        WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 24, column 18 within verificationError

That one is tricky.

en-US has:
verificationError=%S could not confirm the integrity of the update package.

de has:
verificationError=Die Integrität des Update-Pakets konnte nicht
sichergestellt werden.

Actually using the %S in the German string doesn't make too much sense,
it doesn't improve the meaning at all.

Robert Kaiser

On 25.03.10 14:38, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Axel Hecht wrote:
>> de
>> [...]
>> toolkit/chrome/mozapps/update/updates.properties
>> WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 24, column 18 within
>> verificationError
>
> That one is tricky.
>
> en-US has:
> verificationError=%S could not confirm the integrity of the update package.
>
> de has:
> verificationError=Die Integrität des Update-Pakets konnte nicht
> sichergestellt werden.
>
> Actually using the %S in the German string doesn't make too much sense,
> it doesn't improve the meaning at all.

That's the use case why I don't error on these but warn. I don't expect
the warnings to go to zero, with errors on the other hand I will.

Axel

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Axel Hecht

trying again, if you get this twice, sorry. I guess I need to get a bit
more wordy to be allowed to attach the output of another pass.

I did a rather hacky approach to detect plurals, unless someone can come
up with something better, I scan the leading comment for
'Localization_and_Plurals' which is the catch phrase of the MDC link
that the plural localization notes all seem to have.

Another improvement I added locally is that l10n-merge actually strips
broken entities now, so the builds should work bustage free, at least as
far as the tests can figure that out.

More comments on the .properties output are welcome

Axel

cl-properties-2.txt (66K) Download Attachment

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Simon Paquet-2
Axel Hecht wrote on 25. Mar 2010:

> trying again, if you get this twice, sorry. I guess I need to get a bit
> more wordy to be allowed to attach the output of another pass.

Axel,

attaching files here is not really helpful, at least not to me and to
pretty much everyone else, who reads this group via NNTP, because
all attachments get filtered out there in non-binary groups.

Can't you just upload those attachments to a place somewhere on
l10n.mozilla.org?

Cya
Simon

--
Thunderbird/Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Thunderbird l10n blog:       http://thunderbird-l10n.blogspot.com

Re: More checks in compare-locales, spot bad reports?

Mark Banner-2
On 25/03/2010 17:08, Simon Paquet wrote:

> Axel Hecht wrote on 25. Mar 2010:
>
>> trying again, if you get this twice, sorry. I guess I need to get a
>> bit more wordy to be allowed to attach the output of another pass.
>
> Axel,
>
> attaching files here is not really helpful, at least not to me and to
> pretty much everyone else, who reads this group via NNTP, because
> all attachments get filtered out there in non-binary groups.

Weird, I'm reading Axel's messages on NNTP and I'm seeing the attachments.

Mark.

On 25 mar., 02:24, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24.03.10 22:00, smo wrote:
>

> > On 24 mar., 02:35, Axel Hecht<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
> >> I'd be interested in warnings that should be errors, or errors that
> >> should really just be warnings, or feedback in general.
>
> >> Thanks, and fear a dashboard near you in space and time :-)
>
> >> Axel
>
> >>   cl-properties.txt
> >> 66 1KPrikažiPrenesi
>
> > Here's my check of  warnings in sl material
>
> >    browser/chrome/browser
>
> >      feeds/subscribe.properties
> > 1        WARNING: trailing argument 2 `S` missing at line 2, column 11
> > within addHandler
> >            addHandler=Add "%S" (%S) as a Feed Reader?
>
> >      tabbrowser.properties
> > 2        WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 7, column 30
> > within tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs
> >    source: tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs=You are about to close %S tabs.
> > Are you sure you want to continue?
>
> >    dom/chrome/layout/xmlparser.properties
> > 3      ERROR: argument 3 `d` should be `u`, argument 4 `d` should be
> > `u` at line 76, column 18 within XMLParsingError
> >        source:  XMLParsingError = XML Parsing Error: %1$S\nLocation:
> > %2$S\nLine Number %3$u, Column %4$u:
> >      (translation already corrected before Axel's check, but not
> > committed)
>
> >    toolkit/chrome/mozapps/profile/profileSelection.properties
> > 4      WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 12, column 13
> > within pleaseSelect
> >        source:  pleaseSelect=Please select a profile to begin %S, or
> > create a new profile.
> >        WARNING: trailing argument 3 `S` missing at line 15, column 15
> > within profileLocked2
> >        source: profileLocked2=%S cannot use the profile "%S" because it
> > is in use.\n\nTo continue, close the running instance of %S or choose
> > a different profile.
>
> > Re three Warnings 1,2 and 4: the translation is correct, it's the
> > source that's wrong. Would it not make sense to correct the source and
> > propagate it through all the "wrong" localizations? Surely it would
> > not hurt to fix the source. Except if by some divine intervention en-
> > US versions do not crash on this kind of noneties.
>
> Mind explaining why the source is wrong? Like,http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/browser/components/feeds/s...
> is what I find to be feeding the content there, and it's very much
> feeding two arguments.
>
> Axel

What are you feeding the programs with?!

Check my reference: There's not one single %Sn argument (strictly %S
arguments only) in the en-US files your analysis has tagged as faulty
in the sl localization. The reference is the official 87.1MB of
Mozilla stuff - I wanted to exclude any chance of getting the wrong
version, so I pulled the head  version. If this was wrong, i.e. if we
refer to different en-US sources,  then PLEASE add a reference, mother-
of-them-all en-US branch to l10n releases, so that there's no more
misunderstandings about it.

Regards

smo

On 25.03.10 21:02, smo wrote:

> On 25 mar., 02:24, Axel Hecht<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Here's my check of  warnings in sl material
>>
>>>     browser/chrome/browser
>>
>>>       feeds/subscribe.properties
>>> 1        WARNING: trailing argument 2 `S` missing at line 2, column 11
>>> within addHandler
>>>             addHandler=Add "%S" (%S) as a Feed Reader?
>>
>>>       tabbrowser.properties
>>> 2        WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 7, column 30
>>> within tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs
>>>     source: tabs.closeWarningMultipleTabs=You are about to close %S tabs.
>>> Are you sure you want to continue?
>>
>>>     dom/chrome/layout/xmlparser.properties
>>> 3      ERROR: argument 3 `d` should be `u`, argument 4 `d` should be
>>> `u` at line 76, column 18 within XMLParsingError
>>>         source:  XMLParsingError = XML Parsing Error: %1$S\nLocation:
>>> %2$S\nLine Number %3$u, Column %4$u:
>>>       (translation already corrected before Axel's check, but not
>>> committed)
>>
>>>     toolkit/chrome/mozapps/profile/profileSelection.properties
>>> 4      WARNING: trailing argument 1 `S` missing at line 12, column 13
>>> within pleaseSelect
>>>         source:  pleaseSelect=Please select a profile to begin %S, or
>>> create a new profile.
>>>         WARNING: trailing argument 3 `S` missing at line 15, column 15
>>> within profileLocked2
>>>         source: profileLocked2=%S cannot use the profile "%S" because it
>>> is in use.\n\nTo continue, close the running instance of %S or choose
>>> a different profile.
>>
>>> Re three Warnings 1,2 and 4: the translation is correct, it's the
>>> source that's wrong. Would it not make sense to correct the source and
>>> propagate it through all the "wrong" localizations? Surely it would
>>> not hurt to fix the source. Except if by some divine intervention en-
>>> US versions do not crash on this kind of noneties.
>>
>> Mind explaining why the source is wrong? Like,http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/browser/components/feeds/s...
>> is what I find to be feeding the content there, and it's very much
>> feeding two arguments.
>>
>> Axel
>
> What are you feeding the programs with?!
>
> Check my reference: There's not one single %Sn argument (strictly %S
> arguments only) in the en-US files your analysis has tagged as faulty
> in the sl localization. The reference is the official 87.1MB of
> Mozilla stuff - I wanted to exclude any chance of getting the wrong
> version, so I pulled the head  version. If this was wrong, i.e. if we
> refer to different en-US sources,  then PLEASE add a reference, mother-
> of-them-all en-US branch to l10n releases, so that there's no more
> misunderstandings about it.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.9.2/source/browser/locales/en-US/chrome/browser/feeds/subscribe.properties?mark=2-2#2
highlighting the line in question.

Axel