More ... Jeff Relf

Jay Garcia
Just thinking ....

Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post under
a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
"replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads as
well.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Dad-4
On Jul 15, 9:33 am, Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just thinking ....
>
> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post under
> a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
> clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
> properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
> "replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads as
> well.
>
> --
> Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Championwww.ufaq.org
> Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

I think he's NOT clicking on "Reply" but rather entering a reply as an
original post. And that is the reason that we are not seeing "In-Reply-
To" in his header. That would also explain why his replies in
m.support.firefox/thunderbird are also appearing as original posts
rather than replies.

Jay

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Carl Drud-2
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> writes:

> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
> under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
> clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
> properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
> "replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads
> as well.

If you look in the group:

 news.software.readers

you'll see him brag about his own creation of a newsreader that he
thinks surpasses anything else.

Best just to ignore him.

--
Carl

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Ron-76
Carl Drud wrote:

>Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
>>under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
>>clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
>>properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
>>"replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads
>>as well.
>>

>If you look in the group:
>
> news.software.readers
>
>you'll see him brag about his own creation of a newsreader that he
>thinks surpasses anything else.
>
>Best just to ignore him.

Looks like he is full of this...
<endnote>JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes:
<endnote> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/
Ron

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
> under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method
> of clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are
> not properly threaded ??

No, his replies are proper replies.  Only clients whose displays break
threading whenever the Subject header changes should have problems
displaying his posts as replies.

He will keep changing the Subject with every post, he will keep not
quoting the post he's replying to, and engaging him about any of that
will just cause him to post back with whatever pops into his head.
Trying to talk him into behaving differently is completely futile, IME,
so IMO it's best to ignore him.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
»Q« <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
> > under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method
> > of clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies
> > are not properly threaded ??
>
> No, his replies are proper replies.  Only clients whose displays break
> threading whenever the Subject header changes should have problems
> displaying his posts as replies.

I should clarify that by "proper replies", I meant the kind you
generate by clicking the reply button.  I did *not* mean to imply that
it's proper for him to change the Subject header every time he replies.

> He will keep changing the Subject with every post, he will keep not
> quoting the post he's replying to, and engaging him about any of that
> will just cause him to post back with whatever pops into his head.
> Trying to talk him into behaving differently is completely futile,
> IME, so IMO it's best to ignore him.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /
                                       against html e-mail        X
                                     <http://asciiribbon.org/>   / \

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

jetjock
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
>>under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method
>>of clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are
>>not properly threaded ??
>

> No, his replies are proper replies.  Only clients whose displays break
> threading whenever the Subject header changes should have problems
> displaying his posts as replies.
>
> He will keep changing the Subject with every post, he will keep not
> quoting the post he's replying to, and engaging him about any of that
> will just cause him to post back with whatever pops into his head.
> Trying to talk him into behaving differently is completely futile, IME,
> so IMO it's best to ignore him.

Well if you won't "Plonk" him for posting outside guidelines, I guess I
will. I guess he is not hurting anything, but he sure is a nuisance.

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 7/15/2009 1:04 PM, Ron wrote:

> Carl Drud wrote:
>
>> Jay Garcia<[hidden email]>  writes:
>>

>>> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
>>> under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
>>> clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
>>> properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
>>> "replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads
>>> as well.
>>>

>> If you look in the group:
>>
>> news.software.readers
>>
>> you'll see him brag about his own creation of a newsreader that he
>> thinks surpasses anything else.
>>
>> Best just to ignore him.
>>

> Looks like he is full of this...
> <endnote>JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes:
> <endnote>  JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
> http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/
> Ron

 From the web site referenced above:
<Quote>
My useNet client is called “X.ZIP”. No one but me can operate it. As far
as I know, no one but me has ever tried to operate it. I promote
hand-rolled newsReaders, not X.ZIP per se.

When creating or updating a newsGroup, it puts thousands of posts into a
single .TXT(text) file; this way, my code editor(Visual Studio) can toy
with it.

“ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.TXT
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.CPP
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Visual_Studio_Macros.TXT JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Games.EXE
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Dif.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS X.TXT is the settings file, including
C++-style //comments, help.

X.EXE is the newsReader. X.CPP is the source code, Visual C++ 9.
ScreenShot of X.ZIP showing selected glyphs: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Bidi.PNG
JeffRelf.F-M.FM/UTF-8.PNG
</Quote>

This may explain why a reply is not a reply:  Having pre-captured many
postings, he massages them in various and sundry ways (seemingly
including thread information) before posting his responses.

Irwin

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
jetjock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well if you won't "Plonk" him for posting outside guidelines, I guess
> I will. I guess he is not hurting anything, but he sure is a nuisance.

I won't/can't ban him for what he's doing.  Always changing the Subject
header and never quoting properly are indeed annoying, but IMO you've
found the right solution (along with a lot of other people, so far).

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Irwin Greenwald-4
On 7/15/2009 3:38 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> On 7/15/2009 1:04 PM, Ron wrote:
>> Carl Drud wrote:

>>> If you look in the group:
>>>
>>> news.software.readers
>>>
>>> you'll see him brag about his own creation of a newsreader that he
>>> thinks surpasses anything else.
>>>
>>> Best just to ignore him.
>>>

>> Looks like he is full of this...
>> <endnote>JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes:
>> <endnote>   JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
>> http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/
>> Ron
>>

>    From the web site referenced above:
> <Quote>
> My useNet client is called “X.ZIP”. No one but me can operate it. As far
> as I know, no one but me has ever tried to operate it. I promote
> hand-rolled newsReaders, not X.ZIP per se.
>
> When creating or updating a newsGroup, it puts thousands of posts into a
> single .TXT(text) file; this way, my code editor(Visual Studio) can toy
> with it.
>
> “ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.TXT
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.CPP
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Visual_Studio_Macros.TXT JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Games.EXE
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Dif.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS X.TXT is the settings file, including
> C++-style //comments, help.
>
> X.EXE is the newsReader. X.CPP is the source code, Visual C++ 9.
> ScreenShot of X.ZIP showing selected glyphs: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Bidi.PNG
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/UTF-8.PNG
> </Quote>
>
> This may explain why a reply is not a reply:  Having pre-captured many
> postings, he massages them in various and sundry ways (seemingly
> including thread information) before posting his responses.
>
> Irwin

Interesting Reading:

http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/   Look for "Who I am ( Personal info )" near
the bottom of the page.

Irwin

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Jay Garcia
On 15.07.2009 16:26, »Q« wrote:

>> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
>> under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method
>> of clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are
>> not properly threaded ??
>
> No, his replies are proper replies.  Only clients whose displays break
> threading whenever the Subject header changes should have problems
> displaying his posts as replies.
>
> He will keep changing the Subject with every post, he will keep not
> quoting the post he's replying to, and engaging him about any of that
> will just cause him to post back with whatever pops into his head.
> Trying to talk him into behaving differently is completely futile, IME,
> so IMO it's best to ignore him.

Read Irwin's reply, makes sense.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Ron Hunter
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post
>> under a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method
>> of clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are
>> not properly threaded ??
>
> No, his replies are proper replies.  Only clients whose displays break
> threading whenever the Subject header changes should have problems
> displaying his posts as replies.
>
> He will keep changing the Subject with every post, he will keep not
> quoting the post he's replying to, and engaging him about any of that
> will just cause him to post back with whatever pops into his head.
> Trying to talk him into behaving differently is completely futile, IME,
> so IMO it's best to ignore him.

Oh, he is ignored, but can't something be done to enforce the rules?
You certainly don't hesitate to delete offtopic messages, so why not
some of his more egregious silliness, such as his 'virtual keyboard' post?

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Jay Garcia
On 15.07.2009 17:38, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> If you look in the group:
>>>
>>> news.software.readers
>>>
>>> you'll see him brag about his own creation of a newsreader that he
>>> thinks surpasses anything else.
>>>
>>> Best just to ignore him.
>>>

>> Looks like he is full of this...
>> <endnote>JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes:
>> <endnote>  JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
>> http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/
>> Ron
>>

>  From the web site referenced above:
> <Quote>
> My useNet client is called “X.ZIP”. No one but me can operate it. As far
> as I know, no one but me has ever tried to operate it. I promote
> hand-rolled newsReaders, not X.ZIP per se.
>
> When creating or updating a newsGroup, it puts thousands of posts into a
> single .TXT(text) file; this way, my code editor(Visual Studio) can toy
> with it.
>
> “ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.TXT
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.CPP
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Visual_Studio_Macros.TXT JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Games.EXE
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Dif.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS X.TXT is the settings file, including
> C++-style //comments, help.
>
> X.EXE is the newsReader. X.CPP is the source code, Visual C++ 9.
> ScreenShot of X.ZIP showing selected glyphs: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Bidi.PNG
> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/UTF-8.PNG
> </Quote>
>
> This may explain why a reply is not a reply:  Having pre-captured many
> postings, he massages them in various and sundry ways (seemingly
> including thread information) before posting his responses.
>
> Irwin

Sounds like the logical explanation I was seeking .. thanks

Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, he is ignored, but can't something be done to enforce the rules?
> You certainly don't hesitate to delete offtopic messages, so why not
> some of his more egregious silliness, such as his 'virtual keyboard'
> post?

Sure, if he posts enough OT and won't stop after a warning, he'll wind
up getting his OT posts cancelled.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

PhillipJones
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Oh, he is ignored, but can't something be done to enforce the rules?
>> You certainly don't hesitate to delete offtopic messages, so why not
>> some of his more egregious silliness, such as his 'virtual keyboard'
>> post?
>
> Sure, if he posts enough OT and won't stop after a warning, he'll wind
> up getting his OT posts cancelled.

Don't know. ChrisI might take a liking to him and decide to keep him
around. If stays around kill the the support Groups and Chris Nir and
other can retire to an easy chair.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

squaredancer
On 16.07.2009 00:58, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Irwin
Greenwald to generate the following:? :

> On 7/15/2009 3:38 PM, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>>> Looks like he is full of this...
>>> <endnote>JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes:
>>> <endnote>   JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
>>> http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/
>>> Ron
>>>

>>    From the web site referenced above:
>> <Quote>
>> My useNet client is called “X.ZIP”. No one but me can operate it. As far
>> as I know, no one but me has ever tried to operate it. I promote
>> hand-rolled newsReaders, not X.ZIP per se.
>>
>> When creating or updating a newsGroup, it puts thousands of posts into a
>> single .TXT(text) file; this way, my code editor(Visual Studio) can toy
>> with it.
>>
>> “ JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.ZIP ”, includes: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.TXT
>> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/X.CPP
>> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Visual_Studio_Macros.TXT JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Games.EXE
>> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Dif.EXE JeffRelf.F-M.FM/_Crap_.REG
>> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/userContent.CSS X.TXT is the settings file, including
>> C++-style //comments, help.
>>
>> X.EXE is the newsReader. X.CPP is the source code, Visual C++ 9.
>> ScreenShot of X.ZIP showing selected glyphs: JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Bidi.PNG
>> JeffRelf.F-M.FM/UTF-8.PNG
>> </Quote>
>>
>> This may explain why a reply is not a reply:  Having pre-captured many
>> postings, he massages them in various and sundry ways (seemingly
>> including thread information) before posting his responses.
>>
>> Irwin
>>

> Interesting Reading:
>
> http://www.jeffrelf.f-m.fm/   Look for "Who I am ( Personal info )" near
> the bottom of the page.
>
> Irwin

OMG - straight from "the horse's mouth"

JeffRelf.F-M.FM/Jeff_Relf_Aug_2005.JPG

reg

Re: More ... Jeff Relf

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:33:56 AM , and on a
whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard:

> Just thinking ....
>
> Jeff may be replying via the Google Groups but as an original post under
> a post by Eustace and not replying by the conventional method of
> clicking "reply" maybe ??? And this is the reason that replies are not
> properly threaded ?? It appears that this may be the answer as his
> "replies" are the same method under OUR replies in the n.m.o threads as
> well.

Great... and now he has found his way here.  I guess we go to the
"other" place now...

Terry R.