Mod_perl performance/setup question

Albert Ting-2
Hi,

   I've setup up mod_perl and could use some clarification how this is
supposed to work.  I have apache 2.2.21 and mod_perl 2.0 installed (dynamic
module).  The apache logs shows that mod_perl is running, yet had to modify
the mod_perl.pl script and increased the max_unshared_size to a larger
number.  I also see it doesn't reload the Buzilla/*.pm files as they have
been properly loaded..

   However, all the .cgi files keeps getting reloaded.  So something ain't
right.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Albert

Re: Mod_perl performance/setup question

Max Kanat-Alexander
>    I've setup up mod_perl and could use some clarification how this is
> supposed to work.  I have apache 2.2.21 and mod_perl 2.0 installed (dynamic
> module).  The apache logs shows that mod_perl is running, yet had to modify
> the mod_perl.pl script and increased the max_unshared_size to a larger
> number.  I also see it doesn't reload the Buzilla/*.pm files as they have
> been properly loaded..
>
>    However, all the .cgi files keeps getting reloaded.  So something ain't
> right.  Any ideas?

        I'm sorry, could you explain what you mean by reloaded?

        -Max
--
Max Kanat-Alexander
Chief Architect, Community Lead, and Release Manager

Re: Mod_perl performance/setup question

Albert Ting-2
Hi Max,

   If I modify/update any of the .cgi files, they get reloaded.   According
to the bugzilla docs, that's not supposed to happen unless I restart the
server.   I do however see the expected behavior if I modify .pm files,
those don't get reloaded.

   I confess I'm a bit green with mod_perl, probably something wrong with my
conf file.

Albert

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Max Kanat-Alexander <[hidden email]>wrote:

> >    I've setup up mod_perl and could use some clarification how this is
> > supposed to work.  I have apache 2.2.21 and mod_perl 2.0 installed
> (dynamic
> > module).  The apache logs shows that mod_perl is running, yet had to
> modify
> > the mod_perl.pl script and increased the max_unshared_size to a larger
> > number.  I also see it doesn't reload the Buzilla/*.pm files as they have
> > been properly loaded..
> >
> >    However, all the .cgi files keeps getting reloaded.  So something
> ain't
> > right.  Any ideas?
>
>         I'm sorry, could you explain what you mean by reloaded?
>
>        -Max
> --
> Max Kanat-Alexander
> Chief Architect, Community Lead, and Release Manager
> Bugzilla Project
> http://www.bugzilla.org/

Re: Mod_perl performance/setup question

Thorsten Schöning
Guten Tag Albert Ting,
am Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011 um 09:15 schrieben Sie:

>    I confess I'm a bit green with mod_perl, probably something wrong with my
> conf file.

Even if you are right, what is your problem with changed files getting
reloaded? Normally it's a good thing that mod_perl reloads changed
files and in production use those files won't get modified. So why are
you wondering?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  [hidden email]
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 21278 P, Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: Mod_perl performance/setup question

Albert Ting-2
Hi Thorsten,

  Mainly because I'm not seeing the performance benefit from mod_perl and
believe apache is always reloading the cgi files (but not the .pm files).
Even wrote a small cgi script to test if it was correctly caching a global
value and it wasn't.  Need to play around a bit more.

Thanks,
Albert