MochiKit and W3C licenses

Josh Boyer-3
Hi,

I was looking through the mozilla-central and mozilla-1.9.2 mercurial
repos and noticed that there are a large number of files under the
various tests directories that are licensed under the W3C license
and/or the mochikit license.  I tried to see if there was any history
on when these were added, but it looks like the repo history ends at a
CVS import.

Looking through the rest of the sources, I don't immediately see a
copy of either of these licenses included.  The
toolkit/content/licenses.html file doesn't include them either.

The Fedora project recommends contacting upstream for items like this
and suggesting that a copy of the license(s) be included in the source
code.  I was wondering if this was something Mozilla would be amenable
to, and perhaps include those licenses either in the various test
directories[1| where the code is, or in the license.html file.

Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.  Thank you
for your time.

josh

P.S. Congrats on your very successful release of FF4.

[1] E.g. dom/tests/mochitest/

Re: MochiKit and W3C licenses

Josh Boyer-3
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Josh Boyer schrieb:
>>
>> I was looking through the mozilla-central and mozilla-1.9.2 mercurial
>> repos and noticed that there are a large number of files under the
>> various tests directories that are licensed under the W3C license
>> and/or the mochikit license.  I tried to see if there was any history
>> on when these were added, but it looks like the repo history ends at a
>> CVS import.
>
> The history before this can be found in the CVS repository...

I'll figure out where that is.  cvs.mozilla.org wasn't being friendly
with me yesterday.

>> Looking through the rest of the sources, I don't immediately see a
>> copy of either of these licenses included.  The
>> toolkit/content/licenses.html file doesn't include them either.
>
> AFAIK, that file only includes licenses for code we ship, and from all I
> know, the W3C and MochiKit licenses are only used on files we have for
> automated tests, which are not part of shipped builds.

They aren't part of shipped binaries from what I can tell, but when
you go to ftp.mozilla.org and download e.g. the firefox-4.0.source.
tar.bz2 tarball, the sources for the tests are included.  There seems
to be at least some manner of distribution taking place for those
files.

> I'll leave replies that have any legally substantial contents to those who
> can give them, as I should be considered "just a community member" in this
> regard, and of course, IANAL, etc.

Understood.  The same certainly goes for me as well :).

josh