Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Axel Hecht
Hi,

so, the "right" mobile file layout landed on central, the dashboard is
just picking it up.

Aurora next.

For those on central, here's what I suggest, to re-use as much work as
possible on aurora:

Create a local clone of your aurora state.
Do the file moves and the mobile localization in that clone.
Don't touch anything outside of mobile here.
(Caveat, still gotta look if there are actual strings changed on central
that don't get on aurora)

When that repo is in a good state, merge that head into your central
clone, and push to central from there.

Once we get aurora up, merge that clone into aurora as well, and push to
aurora.

central xxx-----------x*x*x*x*
                     /
mix          -*****----
             /          \
aurora  -----------------x*x*x*x

Helps?

I'll be on and off over the holidays to answer questions, if there's
anything that I can help with, touch me here or on twitter.

Axel

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Axel Hecht
On 24.12.11 10:34, Axel Hecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so, the "right" mobile file layout landed on central, the dashboard is
> just picking it up.
>
> Aurora next.
>
> For those on central, here's what I suggest, to re-use as much work as
> possible on aurora:
>
> Create a local clone of your aurora state.
> Do the file moves and the mobile localization in that clone.
> Don't touch anything outside of mobile here.
> (Caveat, still gotta look if there are actual strings changed on central
> that don't get on aurora)
>
> When that repo is in a good state, merge that head into your central
> clone, and push to central from there.
>
> Once we get aurora up, merge that clone into aurora as well, and push to
> aurora.
>
> central xxx-----------x*x*x*x*
> /
> mix -*****----
> / \
> aurora -----------------x*x*x*x
>
> Helps?
>
> I'll be on and off over the holidays to answer questions, if there's
> anything that I can help with, touch me here or on twitter.
>
> Axel

OK, so there are a few changesets so far. Not sure if and when they'll
make it to aurora, though. Sync surely will. I'll continue to see if I
can come up with a helper page.

Maybe it's best to localize the mobile strings on a patch-by-patch basis
(hard in retrospect, I confess), and merge them to central and aurora as
they land.

Axel

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Axel Hecht
Also, please use the https://gist.github.com/1500954 script to adjust
your directory structure, it'll help a ton when doing the reviews down
the line.

Thanks

Axel

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi Axel,
unfortunately I read your message only now, after I finished working on
central...
https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/dashboard/compare?run=184663

Should I expect to receive a localized nightly build in the next days?
Where can I check if Firefox is really "building" (i.e. I didn't break
anything like happened in the past)?

GitHub script: I think it should be updated to remove also these two
files (at least compare-locales complained about them)
mobile/android/chrome/browser.dtd
mobile/android/chrome/preferences.dtd

About the workflow you proposed, the only real issue is that, if you're
working against mozilla-central, you have to clone and sync
mozilla-aurora only to work on mobile. Having said that It's probably
easier to work on l10n-central and transplant changesets if needed
between central and aurora or manually apply fixes to single files in
aurora.

Francesco

On 24.12.11 12:44, Axel Hecht wrote:

> On 24.12.11 10:34, Axel Hecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> so, the "right" mobile file layout landed on central, the dashboard is
>> just picking it up.
>>
>> Aurora next.
>>
>> For those on central, here's what I suggest, to re-use as much work as
>> possible on aurora:
>>
>> Create a local clone of your aurora state.
>> Do the file moves and the mobile localization in that clone.
>> Don't touch anything outside of mobile here.
>> (Caveat, still gotta look if there are actual strings changed on central
>> that don't get on aurora)
>>
>> When that repo is in a good state, merge that head into your central
>> clone, and push to central from there.
>>
>> Once we get aurora up, merge that clone into aurora as well, and push to
>> aurora.
>>
>> central xxx-----------x*x*x*x*
>> /
>> mix -*****----
>> / \
>> aurora -----------------x*x*x*x
>>
>> Helps?
>>
>> I'll be on and off over the holidays to answer questions, if there's
>> anything that I can help with, touch me here or on twitter.
>>
>> Axel
>
> OK, so there are a few changesets so far. Not sure if and when they'll
> make it to aurora, though. Sync surely will. I'll continue to see if I
> can come up with a helper page.
>
> Maybe it's best to localize the mobile strings on a patch-by-patch basis
> (hard in retrospect, I confess), and merge them to central and aurora as
> they land.
>
> Axel

I've started a local script that feeds a wiki page:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Mobile/11_Landings

Note, none of the l10n impact patches on central have yet made to aurora.

Also, there are going to be "merge something" patches in there, that's
allright. It's kinda tough to filter those out reliably.

HTH, if you got suggestions for improvements, send them my way.

On 24.12.11 14:03, flod wrote:
> Hi Axel,
> unfortunately I read your message only now, after I finished working on
> central...
> https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/dashboard/compare?run=184663
>
> Should I expect to receive a localized nightly build in the next days?
> Where can I check if Firefox is really "building" (i.e. I didn't break
> anything like happened in the past)?

TBH, I don't know. I hope so, but I really don't know what's switched
on, nor where things would be supposed to report to.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/nightly/latest-mozilla-central-android/
claims to be a multi-locale build, so for italian, you should be in there.

> GitHub script: I think it should be updated to remove also these two
> files (at least compare-locales complained about them)
> mobile/android/chrome/browser.dtd
> mobile/android/chrome/preferences.dtd
>
> About the workflow you proposed, the only real issue is that, if you're
> working against mozilla-central, you have to clone and sync
> mozilla-aurora only to work on mobile. Having said that It's probably
> easier to work on l10n-central and transplant changesets if needed
> between central and aurora or manually apply fixes to single files in
> aurora.

Yeah, it's not easy.

The thing is, I don't want you to keep either central burning or aurora
deadlocked by the current affairs.

The only way I came up with was to have a common ground and merge on
occasion.

Transplants also work, but when we migrate 12 from central to aurora,
they'll potentially more tricky.

Il 24/12/11 14.47, Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> BH, I don't know. I hope so, but I really don't know what's switched
> on, nor where things would be supposed to report to.
I think it's already working. My tablet just downloaded new updates for
Nightly and Aurora and there are several strings translated, for example
in about:firefox (I run the script two days ago on central).

Francesco

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Joaquim Perez
Hi,
I'm a little lost with mobile. We usally work in Aurora and now we have
left mobile a little apart (see
https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/dashboard?locale=ca) since I'm
not sure if we have to wait for more changes from central before next cycle.

Joaquim

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Staś Małolepszy

On 01/04/2012 10:12 AM, Joaquim Perez wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I'm a little lost with mobile. We usally work in Aurora and now we have
 > left mobile a little apart (see
 > https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/dashboard?locale=ca) since I'm
 > not sure if we have to wait for more changes from central before next
cycle.

No need to wait any longer.  In fact, you should try to make your Aurora
repo green by January 17th.  This is when Firefox 11 will be moving from
Aurora to Beta.

Looking at
http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/ca//rev/25f88ae4d727,
it seems like you've already used the script from
https://gist.github.com/1500954 to rearrange the files inside mobile/.
That's good.

I'd recommend getting rid of the obsolete strings as reported by the
dashboard, testing the whole thing and signing off.

HTH,
-stas

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Joaquim Perez
Hi

> No need to wait any longer.  In fact, you should try to make your Aurora
> repo green by January 17th.  This is when Firefox 11 will be moving from
> Aurora to Beta.

Ok, let's go

> Looking at http://hg.mozilla.org/**releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/**
> ca//rev/25f88ae4d727<http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/ca//rev/25f88ae4d727>,
> it seems like you've already used the script from https://gist.github.com/
> **1500954 <https://gist.github.com/1500954> to rearrange the files inside
> mobile/. That's good.

No, I didn't. Maybe It's because we are using a pootle solution to localize.

> I'd recommend getting rid of the obsolete strings as reported by the
> dashboard, testing the whole thing and signing off.
>

> Thanks

Joaquim

On 04.01.12 15:02, Staś Małolepszy wrote:

> On 01/04/2012 10:12 AM, Joaquim Perez wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  > I'm a little lost with mobile. We usally work in Aurora and now we have
>  > left mobile a little apart (see
>  > https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/dashboard?locale=ca) since
> I'm
>  > not sure if we have to wait for more changes from central before next
> cycle.
>
> No need to wait any longer. In fact, you should try to make your Aurora
> repo green by January 17th. This is when Firefox 11 will be moving from
> Aurora to Beta.

Oh oh, not true.

January 17 is string freeze.

Migration day between the channels (release excluded) is January 31st,
just like the calendar predicted,
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar.

Axel

> Looking at
> http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/ca//rev/25f88ae4d727,
> it seems like you've already used the script from
> https://gist.github.com/1500954 to rearrange the files inside mobile/.
> That's good.
>
> I'd recommend getting rid of the obsolete strings as reported by the
> dashboard, testing the whole thing and signing off.
>
> HTH,
> -stas

Re: Mobile now live on central, watch the notes

Rimas Kudelis
2012.01.05 00:27, Axel Hecht rašė:

> On 04.01.12 15:02, Staś Małolepszy wrote:
>>

>> On 01/04/2012 10:12 AM, Joaquim Perez wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm a little lost with mobile. We usally work in Aurora and now we have
>> > left mobile a little apart (see
>> > https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/dashboard?locale=ca) since
>> I'm
>> > not sure if we have to wait for more changes from central before next
>> cycle.
>>
>> No need to wait any longer. In fact, you should try to make your Aurora
>> repo green by January 17th. This is when Firefox 11 will be moving from
>> Aurora to Beta.
>
> Oh oh, not true.
>
> January 17 is string freeze.
>
> Migration day between the channels (release excluded) is January 31st,
> just like the calendar predicted,
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar.

Is the former (no need to wait any longer) true? Are there any more
string changes planned for Aurora?

Rimas

On 05.01.12 09:05, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> 2012.01.05 00:27, Axel Hecht rašė:

>>> have
>>> I'm
>>> cycle.
>>>
>>> No need to wait any longer. In fact, you should try to make your Aurora
>>> repo green by January 17th. This is when Firefox 11 will be moving from
>>> Aurora to Beta.
>>
>> Oh oh, not true.
>>
>> January 17 is string freeze.
>>
>> Migration day between the channels (release excluded) is January 31st,
>> just like the calendar predicted,
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar.
>
> Is the former (no need to wait any longer) true? Are there any more
> string changes planned for Aurora?

Yes, there are more string changes planned, but that doesn't mean that
you need to wait to work on those that are there, I guess.

Axel