Mobile FF v9 beta

Cy Burnot
Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.

What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
read-only memory????).

Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Daniel-257
Cy Burnot wrote:
> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>
> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
> read-only memory????).

and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
memory randomly accessible??
--
Daniel

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Ron Hunter
On 11/13/2011 4:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>
>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>> read-only memory????).
>
> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
> memory randomly accessible??

All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics.  Why do we
still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
Technology evolves much faster than language.

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

RAV-2
On 11/13/2011 3:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 4:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>>
>>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>>> read-only memory????).
>>
>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>> memory randomly accessible??
>
> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
> Technology evolves much faster than language.

Because, as I suspect you know, people are used to it, and sometimes
they don't even know any better.  When I worked at the Richmond (VA)
data center of the old C&P Telephone Company decades ago, I was shown
how to do something they called "sending the tapes."  Turns out it was a
high speed (for that time) digital transfer of long distance information
to AT&T in New York.  But because for many years before THAT they used
to put the information on 9-track tapes and send it by mail, they still
referred to it as "sending the tapes."

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Cy Burnot
Daniel has written on 11/13/2011 5:07 AM:
> Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>
>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>> read-only memory????).
>
> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
> memory randomly accessible??

Different question, but historically, before there was random-access
memory, there was sequential-access memory.
When random-access came along, they did not have the foresight to
realize that other forms of memory would also be R-A.

So why do the phone people call their clearly read-write memory ROM?

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Cy Burnot
Ron Hunter has written on 11/13/2011 3:23 PM:

> On 11/13/2011 4:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>>
>>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>>> read-only memory????).
>>
>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>> memory randomly accessible??
>
> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics.  Why do we
> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
> Technology evolves much faster than language.

That last suggests that a phone's ROM is some new technology. I don't
think it is. Maybe they mean "non-volatile"? There's constant talk about
flashing a new ROM or something.

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Cy Burnot
Rav has written on 11/13/2011 3:50 PM:

> On 11/13/2011 3:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>> memory randomly accessible??
>>
>> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
>> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
>> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
>> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
>> Technology evolves much faster than language.
>>

> Because, as I suspect you know, people are used to it, and sometimes
> they don't even know any better.  When I worked at the Richmond (VA)
> data center of the old C&P Telephone Company decades ago, I was shown
> how to do something they called "sending the tapes."  Turns out it was a
> high speed (for that time) digital transfer of long distance information
> to AT&T in New York.  But because for many years before THAT they used
> to put the information on 9-track tapes and send it by mail, they still
> referred to it as "sending the tapes."

As I said to Ron, I think they mean NV RAM, not ROM.

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

PhillipJones
Rav wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 3:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>> memory randomly accessible??
>>
>> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
>> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
>> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
>> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
>> Technology evolves much faster than language.
>>

> Because, as I suspect you know, people are used to it, and sometimes
> they don't even know any better. When I worked at the Richmond (VA) data
> center of the old C&P Telephone Company decades ago, I was shown how to
> do something they called "sending the tapes." Turns out it was a high
> speed (for that time) digital transfer of long distance information to
> AT&T in New York. But because for many years before THAT they used to
> put the information on 9-track tapes and send it by mail, they still
> referred to it as "sending the tapes."

ROM memory is Read Only Memory
RAM Memory is Random Access Memory

The information in ROM does not change except through firmware update
which can be tricky and if interrupted while in process of the update
can end up making your computer a $200-2000 boat anchor, or Door Stop.
While Ram is constantly written to read from. when an application is
written to RAM makes the application runs faster because its not being
accessed from the Hard Drive. If there is not enough memory then
information is paged in and paged out as need to the Hard Drive in an
area called a scratch Disk.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Cy Burnot wrote:

> Daniel has written on 11/13/2011 5:07 AM:
>> Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>>
>>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>>> read-only memory????).
>>
>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>> memory randomly accessible??
>
> Different question, but historically, before there was random-access
> memory, there was sequential-access memory.
> When random-access came along, they did not have the foresight to
> realize that other forms of memory would also be R-A.
>
> So why do the phone people call their clearly read-write memory ROM?

Don't know any better??

On 11/13/2011 6:34 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:

> Daniel has written on 11/13/2011 5:07 AM:
>> Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>>
>>> What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>>> space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>>> read-only memory????).
>>
>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>> memory randomly accessible??
>
> Different question, but historically, before there was random-access
> memory, there was sequential-access memory.
> When random-access came along, they did not have the foresight to
> realize that other forms of memory would also be R-A.
>
> So why do the phone people call their clearly read-write memory ROM?

These days, if you can't NORMALLY write to the memory it is called ROM.
  There were so many types of persistent memory that could be written to
under special conditions that the alphabet soup was getting
unmanageable.  Now most people understand that many types of "ROM" can
be written to.

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

glad2be
On 11/14/2011 02:12 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
<>

> These days, if you can't NORMALLY write to the memory it is called ROM.
>   There were so many types of persistent memory that could be written to
> under special conditions that the alphabet soup was getting
> unmanageable.  Now most people understand that many types of "ROM" can
> be written to.

how about "random order memory" because it can be read or written in
any random order. 8-)

--
peace out.

tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

glad2be
On 11/13/2011 08:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
<>

> Why do we still talk about 'dialing' a telephone?

because they are named *rotary dial* and *push-button dial*.

> 'type' on computers?

because computers use various type fonts.

--
peace out.

tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

The Real Bev
On 11/13/2011 12:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 4:07 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>  Cy Burnot wrote:
>>>  Installed the Android version of v9beta on my HTC EVO 4G.
>>>
>>>  What a memory hog!!! Even moving it to the SD card left way too little
>>>  space on my "ROM" (why do they call it that when it is clearly NOT
>>>  read-only memory????).
>>
>>  and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>  memory randomly accessible??
>
> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics.  Why do we
> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?

And back during WW2, women were 'computers'.

> Technology evolves much faster than language.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Cy Burnot
PhillipJones has written on 11/13/2011 8:20 PM:

> Rav wrote:

>>> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
>>> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
>>> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
>>> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
>>> Technology evolves much faster than language.
>>>

>> Because, as I suspect you know, people are used to it, and sometimes
>> they don't even know any better. When I worked at the Richmond (VA) data
>> center of the old C&P Telephone Company decades ago, I was shown how to
>> do something they called "sending the tapes." Turns out it was a high
>> speed (for that time) digital transfer of long distance information to
>> AT&T in New York. But because for many years before THAT they used to
>> put the information on 9-track tapes and send it by mail, they still
>> referred to it as "sending the tapes."
>>

> ROM memory is Read Only Memory
> RAM Memory is Random Access Memory
>
> The information in ROM does not change except through firmware update

If it can be changed then it is not read ONLY!

Re: Memory (WAS:- Re: Mobile FF v9 beta)

Cy Burnot
Ron Hunter has written on 11/13/2011 9:12 PM:

> On 11/13/2011 6:34 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>> Daniel has written on 11/13/2011 5:07 AM:

>>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>> memory randomly accessible??
>>
>> Different question, but historically, before there was random-access
>> memory, there was sequential-access memory.
>> When random-access came along, they did not have the foresight to
>> realize that other forms of memory would also be R-A.
>>
>> So why do the phone people call their clearly read-write memory ROM?
>
> These days, if you can't NORMALLY write to the memory it is called ROM.
> There were so many types of persistent memory that could be written to
> under special conditions that the alphabet soup was getting
> unmanageable.  Now most people understand that many types of "ROM" can
> be written to.

OK. Can you name a few?

On 11/14/2011 12:56 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 12:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>> memory randomly accessible??
>>
>> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
>> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
>> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
>> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
>
> And back during WW2, women were 'computers'.
>
>> Technology evolves much faster than language.

Hummm.  Are women computers these days?  Back in WWII, women were
introduced to the workplace in massive quantities, which changed the
nature of the entire society, family structure, and morality.  Women
weren't computers, but many of them were 'riveters'.
\

On 11/14/2011 2:01 AM, Cy Burnot wrote:

> Ron Hunter has written on 11/13/2011 9:12 PM:
>> On 11/13/2011 6:34 PM, Cy Burnot wrote:
>>> Daniel has written on 11/13/2011 5:07 AM:

>>> Different question, but historically, before there was random-access
>>> memory, there was sequential-access memory.
>>> When random-access came along, they did not have the foresight to
>>> realize that other forms of memory would also be R-A.
>>>
>>> So why do the phone people call their clearly read-write memory ROM?
>>
>> These days, if you can't NORMALLY write to the memory it is called ROM.
>> There were so many types of persistent memory that could be written to
>> under special conditions that the alphabet soup was getting
>> unmanageable.  Now most people understand that many types of "ROM" can
>> be written to.
>
> OK. Can you name a few?
EPROM, EARPROM, just off the top of my head.

PhillipJones wrote:
> Rav wrote:

<Snip>

> ROM memory is Read Only Memory
> RAM Memory is Random Access Memory

but, Phillip, the point I was trying to make is the ROM is also randomly
accessible, just as RAM is!

Once saw what was normally called ROM referred to as WORM .... Write One
time, Read Many times!!

The Real Bev wrote:

> On 11/13/2011 12:23 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> and why is the other type of memory called RAM?? Are not both types of
>>> memory randomly accessible??
>>
>> All those terms are from the early days of computing, and some of them
>> aren't exactly logical in the context of modern electronics. Why do we
>> still talk about 'dialing' a telephone? Why do we drive on 'parkways',
>> and park on 'driveways', and 'type' on computers?
>
> And back during WW2, women were 'computers'.

I was once told that "they" had "computers" back in the Roman Empire
.... the people who did all the calculating and recording of sales, etc.

On 11/14/2011 5:42 AM, Daniel wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>> Rav wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>

>> ROM memory is Read Only Memory
>> RAM Memory is Random Access Memory
>>

> but, Phillip, the point I was trying to make is the ROM is also randomly
> accessible, just as RAM is!
>
> Once saw what was normally called ROM referred to as WORM .... Write One
> time, Read Many times!!

Nope.  The original ROMs were 'engraved in stone'.  That is, they were
manufactured with the data already in them.  In early IBM 360 computers,
the ROM was actually on little strips of plastic with holes punched to
interrupt the circuits.