Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Jeff-355
Hey localizers!

New update on mobile!

Beta 1 of en-US release has been posted to Google Play, and a series
of betas are planned  over the next several weeks. During the upcoming
betas additional locales will be added.

A  multi-locale build and individual locale builds are being built and
testing is under way on these releases. You can download and install
all available builds from:

    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/13.0b2-candidates/build2-spin1/android-xul/multi/

    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/14.0b1-candidates/build3/android

There is still a lot of work ahead with making sure that mutli-locale
switching works correctly and without problems across a wide variety
of devices provided from a lot of different carriers and device
providers.  Please help us test these builds in preparation for
release in an upcoming beta on google play and wider distribution.

In the coming weeks we will be testing and trying to optimize the
mutli-locale APK for download size, start up performance, and
selection of locales to reach the widest audience of Firefox users.
The current mutli-locale APK available for testing contains de, fr,
it, ja, nl, ru, (and possibly es-ES).   The optimization work will
progress during the upcoming beta periods and we will making
adjustments to the multi-locale pack as needed to provide the best
user experience possible.

The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
close to being ready.

We would like to see more teams ramp up in the coming weeks.  Let us
know if you have any questions.

The l10n-drivers

Re: Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Michael Bauer-11
Errr can we add gd to that list please? We've been "ready" for several
years now ;)

Michael

15/05/2012 18:19, sgrìobh Jeff Beatty:
> The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
> individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
> far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
> and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
> it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
> close to being ready.

Re: Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Rhoslyn Prys
On 15/05/2012 18:55, Michael Bauer wrote:

> Errr can we add gd to that list please? We've been "ready" for several
> years now ;)
>
> Michael
>
> 15/05/2012 18:19, sgrìobh Jeff Beatty:
>> The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
>> individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
>> far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
>> and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
>> it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
>> close to being ready.

Re: Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Kevin Scannell-2
And ga-IE as well - we've been green for ages.   Did we miss some kind
of opt-in?
Kevin

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Errr can we add gd to that list please? We've been "ready" for several years
> now ;)
>
> Michael
>
> 15/05/2012 18:19, sgrìobh Jeff Beatty:
>
>> The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
>> individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
>> far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
>> and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
>> it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
>> close to being ready.

Re: Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Channy Yun-3
Korean has not been included despite of 8M, #1 andorid users in the world.
I want to know the criteria for p1/p2.

We also been green in several years.

Channy
2012. 5. 16. 오전 9:59에 "Kevin Scannell" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

> And ga-IE as well - we've been green for ages.   Did we miss some kind
> of opt-in?
> Kevin
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Errr can we add gd to that list please? We've been "ready" for several
> years
> > now ;)
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > 15/05/2012 18:19, sgrìobh Jeff Beatty:
> >
> >> The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
> >> individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
> >> far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
> >> and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
> >> it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
> >> close to being ready.

Re: Mobile Beta Releases Getting Started -- Please Start Testing as Available

Axel Hecht
On 15.05.12 19:19, Jeff Beatty wrote:

> Hey localizers!
>
> New update on mobile!
>
> Beta 1 of en-US release has been posted to Google Play, and a series
> of betas are planned  over the next several weeks. During the upcoming
> betas additional locales will be added.
>
> A  multi-locale build and individual locale builds are being built and
> testing is under way on these releases. You can download and install
> all available builds from:
>
>      http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/13.0b2-candidates/build2-spin1/android-xul/multi/
>
>      http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/candidates/14.0b1-candidates/build3/android
>
> There is still a lot of work ahead with making sure that mutli-locale
> switching works correctly and without problems across a wide variety
> of devices provided from a lot of different carriers and device
> providers.  Please help us test these builds in preparation for
> release in an upcoming beta on google play and wider distribution.
>
> In the coming weeks we will be testing and trying to optimize the
> mutli-locale APK for download size, start up performance, and
> selection of locales to reach the widest audience of Firefox users.
> The current mutli-locale APK available for testing contains de, fr,
> it, ja, nl, ru, (and possibly es-ES).   The optimization work will
> progress during the upcoming beta periods and we will making
> adjustments to the multi-locale pack as needed to provide the best
> user experience possible.
>
> The plan will also be to provide a path to download and install
> individual locale APKs to offer the widest variety of languages.  So
> far we have 16 locales participating on the upcoming mobile release
> and ready to enter beta soon (ca, de, es-AR, es-ES, fr,  fy-NL, gl,
> it,  ja, nl, pa-IN, ru, sk,  uk, zh-CN,  zh-TW). Others are getting
> close to being ready.
>
> We would like to see more teams ramp up in the coming weeks.  Let us
> know if you have any questions.

Please don't make "me too" responses here. We're adding languages as we
go, to the release, and I'll also do a quick pass on what's building.

The way to get in to the release is to go to your team page, and make
sure you've signed off on what you want to ship on fennec aurora.

Axel