Missing quotes

Lewis Rosenthal
Pardon the cryptic subject. This is a tough one to explain...

I've been exchanging email with someone using Kmail. Evidently, he has
his signature set to appear above the quoted text in a message. (My
signature always appears below any quoted text.) When I reply to his
messages, SeaMonkey Mail evidently assumes that the quoted portion from
my previous message (which appears below his signature) is part of his
signature, and as such, appropriately (or not) removes it from my
message going out.

Here's an illustration:

My message:

[body]
[his quoted message]
[my signature]

His message coming back in reply:

[body]
[his signature]
[my quoted message]

My reply to him:

[body]
[his quoted message]
[my signature]

Note that in the last example above, [his quoted message] only includes
the last text he drafted to me, sans his signature and sans the quote of
my original message to him.

I'm hard pressed to figure out how we could tell MailNews that the quote
of my message isn't indeed part of his signature, and I do like the
intelligent handling of signatures in quoted messages (i.e., remove
them). I haven't posted - or searched for - a bug on this, as I don't
know that there's anything one could do, aside from perhaps overriding
the signature removal and dealing with it manually for that one
sender/message.

Thoughts?

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Re: Missing quotes

gwtc
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Pardon the cryptic subject. This is a tough one to explain...
>
> I've been exchanging email with someone using Kmail. Evidently, he has
> his signature set to appear above the quoted text in a message. (My
> signature always appears below any quoted text.) When I reply to his
> messages, SeaMonkey Mail evidently assumes that the quoted portion from
> my previous message (which appears below his signature) is part of his
> signature, and as such, appropriately (or not) removes it from my
> message going out.
>
> Here's an illustration:
>
> My message:
>
> [body]
> [his quoted message]
> [my signature]
>
> His message coming back in reply:
>
> [body]
> [his signature]
> [my quoted message]
>
> My reply to him:
>
> [body]
> [his quoted message]
> [my signature]
>
> Note that in the last example above, [his quoted message] only includes
> the last text he drafted to me, sans his signature and sans the quote of
> my original message to him.
>
> I'm hard pressed to figure out how we could tell MailNews that the quote
> of my message isn't indeed part of his signature, and I do like the
> intelligent handling of signatures in quoted messages (i.e., remove
> them). I haven't posted - or searched for - a bug on this, as I don't
> know that there's anything one could do, aside from perhaps overriding
> the signature removal and dealing with it manually for that one
> sender/message.
>
> Thoughts?

When I've used Sig above quotes, it doesn't produce the sig line
delimiter.  Its looks just like a regular piece of the message.

Re: Missing quotes

CBFalconer
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> Pardon the cryptic subject. This is a tough one to explain...
>
> I've been exchanging email with someone using Kmail. Evidently,
> he has  his signature set to appear above the quoted text in a
> message. (My  signature always appears below any quoted text.)
> When I reply to his messages, SeaMonkey Mail evidently assumes
> that the quoted portion from  my previous message (which appears
> below his signature) is part of his  signature, and as such,
> appropriately (or not) removes it from my  message going out.

The problem is that he is not adhering to common standards and
usage.  You should attempt to train him out of top-posting, and to
set his reader to place the signature in the proper place.  By
definition, everything following the "--" sig mark is signature.

--
Read about the Sony stealthware that is a security leak, phones
home, and is generally illegal in most parts of the world.  Also

Re: Missing quotes

Ron Lopshire
Chuck F. wrote:

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>  >
>
>> Pardon the cryptic subject. This is a tough one to explain...
>>
>> I've been exchanging email with someone using Kmail. Evidently,
>> he has  his signature set to appear above the quoted text in a
>> message. (My  signature always appears below any quoted text.)
>> When I reply to his messages, SeaMonkey Mail evidently assumes
>> that the quoted portion from  my previous message (which appears
>> below his signature) is part of his  signature, and as such,
>> appropriately (or not) removes it from my  message going out.
>

> The problem is that he is not adhering to common standards and usage.
> You should attempt to train him out of top-posting, and to set his
> reader to place the signature in the proper place.  By definition,
> everything following the "--" sig mark is signature.

FWIW, "-- " is the RFC sig delimiter, not "--".

Ron ;)

Re: Missing quotes

Lewis Rosenthal
On 12/12/2005 04:03 am, Ron Lopshire thus wrote :

> Chuck F. wrote:
>
>> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>>  >
>>
>>> Pardon the cryptic subject. This is a tough one to explain...
>>>
>>> I've been exchanging email with someone using Kmail. Evidently,
>>> he has  his signature set to appear above the quoted text in a
>>> message. (My  signature always appears below any quoted text.)
>>> When I reply to his messages, SeaMonkey Mail evidently assumes
>>> that the quoted portion from  my previous message (which appears
>>> below his signature) is part of his  signature, and as such,
>>> appropriately (or not) removes it from my  message going out.
>>

>> The problem is that he is not adhering to common standards and usage.
>> You should attempt to train him out of top-posting, and to set his
>> reader to place the signature in the proper place.  By definition,
>> everything following the "--" sig mark is signature.
>>

> FWIW, "-- " is the RFC sig delimiter, not "--".
>
> Ron ;)
Thanks (everyone). Top posting is appropriate in certain instances (I
use it myself for regular mail). Have you ever had to check your mail on
a handheld device, only to have to scroll through screens and screens of
quoted text to find "No problem" at the bottom? ;-) However, I'll take a
closer look at these troublesome messages and see where the problem lies
(I need to read through his signature in more detail). I also may set up
some test scenarios with Kmail on another machine and see what different
output I get.

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE