Minimum window size

Herre de Jonge
It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so small
that they are unrecognizable.

Re: Minimum window size

The Real Bev
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
> size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so small
> that they are unrecognizable.

I swear there used to be a setting in firefox that gave you the option
of permitting or forbidding websites to change the size of the
window/browser.  I've recently come across a number of websites that
shrink the size of the entire browser and I hate it.  What am I missing?

Re: Minimum window size

Moz Champion (Dan)
The Real Bev wrote:

> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
>> size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so small
>> that they are unrecognizable.
>
> I swear there used to be a setting in firefox that gave you the option
> of permitting or forbidding websites to change the size of the
> window/browser.  I've recently come across a number of websites that
> shrink the size of the entire browser and I hate it.  What am I missing?

[Tools-->Options]*-->Content

[x] Enable Javascript         <Advanced>

It only applies to Javascript.

*varies by OS
Linux
[Edit-->Preferences]
Mac
[Firefox-->Preferences]
Windows as above

Re: Minimum window size

The Real Bev
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>>
>>> It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
>>> size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so small
>>> that they are unrecognizable.
>>
>> I swear there used to be a setting in firefox that gave you the option
>> of permitting or forbidding websites to change the size of the
>> window/browser.  I've recently come across a number of websites that
>> shrink the size of the entire browser and I hate it.  What am I missing?
>
> [Tools-->Options]*-->Content
>
> [x] Enable Javascript         <Advanced>
>
> It only applies to Javascript.

I've always enabled javascript, so I don't think that's it.  It is/was a
specific permission.

OK, I found dom.disable_window_move_resize with about:config and
switched it from false to true.  We'll see...

> *varies by OS
> Linux
> [Edit-->Preferences]
> Mac
> [Firefox-->Preferences]
> Windows as above

Re: Minimum window size

Tarkus-3
The Real Bev wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I swear there used to be a setting in firefox that gave you the
>>> option of permitting or forbidding websites to change the size of the
>>> window/browser.  I've recently come across a number of websites that
>>> shrink the size of the entire browser and I hate it.  What am I missing?
>>
>> [Tools-->Options]*-->Content
>>
>> [x] Enable Javascript         <Advanced>
>>
>> It only applies to Javascript.
>
> I've always enabled javascript, so I don't think that's it.  It is/was a
> specific permission.

You obviously didn't click on <Advanced>.

Re: Minimum window size

The Real Bev
Tarkus wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> [Tools-->Options]*-->Content
>>>
>>> [x] Enable Javascript         <Advanced>
>>>
>>> It only applies to Javascript.
>>
>> I've always enabled javascript, so I don't think that's it.  It is/was a
>> specific permission.
>
> You obviously didn't click on <Advanced>.

Exactly right.  The entries above both had 'exceptions' boxes, so I
assumed that's what the third was without even reading it.  It's amazing
just how often our erroneous expectations stab us in the back :-(

NEW WISH:
If you're going to present things in a hierarchical manner, it would be
nice if one of the options was 'show all entries' so you could scan the
whole thing for what you're looking for instead of opening and closing
tabs and -- frequently -- missing what you're looking for.

Re: Minimum window size

Herre de Jonge
The Real Bev wrote:

> Herre de Jonge wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
>> size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so small
>> that they are unrecognizable.
>
> I swear there used to be a setting in firefox that gave you the option
> of permitting or forbidding websites to change the size of the
> window/browser.  I've recently come across a number of websites that
> shrink the size of the entire browser and I hate it.  What am I missing?

Actually I mean manual resizing as well. In this particular
case my parents resized the new message window (TB) to about
100x100 pixels by accident. The next time TB was started and
they wanted to send a message they thought something was wrong
and I had to solve their problem again.

Take care,
   Herre

Re: Minimum window size

Mouse-12
>>> It would be nice if all Windows within FF & TB would have a minimum
>>> size (say 300x200px), so they can't be (accidentaly) resized so
>>> small that they are unrecognizable.
>> [...website-specified changes...]
> Actually I mean manual resizing as well.  [...example...]

You don't say what OS or graphics system this was under.  Under X, at
least, programs can specify minimum window sizes, but window managers
can ignore those specifications if they choose - have you checked to
see if TB is already setting a minimum size spec on its window?  (For
X, xprop can show this - it's part of WM_NORMAL_HINTS.)

/~\ The ASCII  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML [hidden email]
/ \ Email!     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Re: Minimum window size

Herre de Jonge
der Mouse wrote:

>>> [...website-specified changes...]
>> Actually I mean manual resizing as well.  [...example...]
>
> You don't say what OS or graphics system this was under.  Under X, at
> least, programs can specify minimum window sizes, but window managers
> can ignore those specifications if they choose - have you checked to
> see if TB is already setting a minimum size spec on its window?  (For
> X, xprop can show this - it's part of WM_NORMAL_HINTS.)

I didn't specify this, because my whish is of course not
OS dependent. It should work as well for Mac, Linux as
Windows.

In this specific case it is Windows (XP and Vista). And
I was thinking along the lines of WM_GETMINMAXINFO.

Take care,
   Herre