Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi,
In the coming days we'll start migrating the first batch of strings from
DTD/properties to Fluent. It’s only 4 strings about Do Not Track, from
preferences, designed to fully test the migration process. After this
first migration, we’ll be migrating all strings in Preferences to the
new format over several weeks.

If you localize Firefox in Pontoon, this migration will have a small
impact: if these strings are already translated, the existing
translations will be migrated to the new format, in a file called
browser/browser/preferences/preferences.ftl. Since this is the first
time we’re doing it, it would be great to double check that the actual
strings still look correct in the new file, and report any bugs you
might notice. Note that the strings will be marked as “imported” in the
author field.

If you localize strings directly in Mercurial please read carefully the
next part of the message.
TL;DR: ignore the .ftl files until the migration happens.

Here’s the expected timeline:

  * Land the patch from bug 1411012 in mozilla-central.
  * Expose the new strings in gecko-strings-quarantine.
  * Pause Pontoon’s sync (we’ll send an email to the mailing list when
    this happens).
  * Run the migration and push changes to all l10n-central repositories.
  * Push the new content to gecko-strings.
  * Restart Pontoon’s sync (we’ll send another email).

For this first batch of strings, we expect the migration to last about
an hour, unless there are new issues that we didn’t encounter during the
previous tests.

It’s important to not translate the new file directly: the migration
process is designed to migrate each translation maintaining the
attribution (author). This information will be lost if you translate the
file directly. For this reason, *the migration will run on ALL locales,
no exclusions.* Please remember to pull changes in your local clones
before doing further commits.

Francesco

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

huidaoffice
在 2018年1月3日星期三 UTC+8下午6:24:57,Francesco Lodolo [:flod]写道:

http://dghd-2.com
http://dghd-3.com
http://dghd-4.com
http://dghd-5.com
http://dghd-6.com
http://dghd-7.com
http://dghd-8.com
http://dghd-9.com
http://dghd10.com
http://dghd11.com
http://dghd12.com
http://dghd13.com
http://dghd14.com
http://dghd15.com
http://dghd16.com
http://dghd17.com
http://dghd18.com
http://dghd19.com
http://dghd20.com
http://dghd21.com
http://dghd22.com
http://dghd23.com
http://dghd24.com
http://dghd25.com
http://dghd26.com
http://dghd27.com
http://wxq-2.com
http://wxq-3.com
http://wxq-5.com
http://dongguanhuidabangonghaocai.com
http://wxq-5.com/a/qi_qushi/20171108/139.html
http://www.wxq-2.com/a/hui_shenghuo/20160421/48.html
http://dghd-7.com/news/81.html
http://wxq-5.com/index.html
http://dghd-7.com/news/180.html
http://dghd-7.com/cp/shimuchugui/340.html
http://dghd-5.com/a/news/jszc/20170219/288.html
http://www.dghd19.com/a/yule/291.html
http://www.dghd19.com/a/keji/
http://dghd-7.com/cp/shimuweiyu/
http://dghd-7.com/news/232.html
http://wxq-3.com/a/hui_shenghuo/20171104/135.html
http://dghd20.com/a/keji/
http://www.wxq-2.com/a/qi_qushi/20171204/295.html
http://dghd16.com/news/81.html
http://www.dghd-4.com/m/view.php?aid=365
http://wxq-5.com/index.html

Il 03/01/18 11.24, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] ha scritto:
> Pause Pontoon’s sync (we’ll send an email to the mailing list when
> this happens).
We just paused sync in Pontoon for Firefox.

Il 04/01/18 11.06, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] ha scritto:
> Il 03/01/18 11.24, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] ha scritto:
>> Pause Pontoon’s sync (we’ll send an email to the mailing list when
>> this happens).
> We just paused sync in Pontoon for Firefox.
Migration has been completed, and we have re-enabled sync in Pontoon.

Please report any issue you might find in imported strings.

Francesco

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Using the existing thread for a quick follow up: we just completed
another migration of content for Preferences.

This time there are about 20 strings organized in two files:
* browser/branding/official/brand.ftl
* browser/browser/preferences/preferences.ftl

As a reminder, these strings are copied ("migrated") from existing
DTD/properties files and only adapted to the Fluent syntax. Please take
some time to check the two .ftl files, and let us know if there are any
issues with the migration procedure.

Also, don't forget to familiarize yourself with the UI in Pontoon
https://mozilla-l10n.github.io/localizer-documentation/tools/pontoon/ui.html#fluent---ftl-files

and with Fluent itself
https://mozilla-l10n.github.io/localizer-documentation/tools/fluent/

Francesco

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Michal Stanke-2
Hi.

I did not went through all the changesets yet, but I have a question about
the first one (https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/rev/e9584ac2adf5).
IIRC there was an option to define declined versions for the strings/names
in FTL (I cannot find the exact syntax it in the documentation right now).
I know at this moment declining brand names is not allowed, but can we at
least define the "declined" version of the brand string in a descriptive
form ("application Firefox")? If so and in the future declining is allowed,
we can use that option by changing a single string, instead of removing the
word "application" and adding the grammatical selector in all files.

Example:

-brand-short-name = {
    *[nominative] -> Firefox

    [instrumental] -> aplikaci Firefox
}

about-firefox = About { -brand-short-name[instrumental] }

--
Michal Stanke

> Hi,
> Using the existing thread for a quick follow up: we just completed another
> migration of content for Preferences.
>
> This time there are about 20 strings organized in two files:
> * browser/branding/official/brand.ftl
> * browser/browser/preferences/preferences.ftl
>
> As a reminder, these strings are copied ("migrated") from existing
> DTD/properties files and only adapted to the Fluent syntax. Please take
> some time to check the two .ftl files, and let us know if there are any
> issues with the migration procedure.
>
> Also, don't forget to familiarize yourself with the UI in Pontoon
> https://mozilla-l10n.github.io/localizer-documentation/tools
> /pontoon/ui.html#fluent---ftl-files
>
> and with Fluent itself
> https://mozilla-l10n.github.io/localizer-documentation/tools/fluent/
>

> Francesco

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

> I did not went through all the changesets yet, but I have a question
> about the first one
> (https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/rev/e9584ac2adf5). IIRC there
> was an option to define declined versions for the strings/names in FTL
> (I cannot find the exact syntax it in the documentation right now).
We left it out of the documentation, since the best example is branding,
and that would have been confusing.
http://projectfluent.org/fluent/guide/variants.html

> I know at this moment declining brand names is not allowed, but can we
> at least define the "declined" version of the brand string in a
> descriptive form ("application Firefox")? If so and in the future
> declining is allowed, we can use that option by changing a single
> string, instead of removing the word "application" and adding the
> grammatical selector in all files.
>
> Example:
> -brand-short-name = { *[nominative] -> Firefox
> [instrumental] -> aplikaci Firefox }
> about-firefox = About { -brand-short-name[instrumental] }
You can definitely do that, but we're in the process of restarting the
discussion with Brand, Product and Legal about brand names. Maybe it's
worth waiting a bit to see if it moves, before doing this work (you will
also have to deal with the problem of the capitalization).

Unfortunately, we don't have an idea about the timing.

Francesco

Il 15/02/18 15.12, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] ha scritto:
> As a reminder, these strings are copied ("migrated") from existing
> DTD/properties files and only adapted to the Fluent syntax. Please
> take some time to check the two .ftl files, and let us know if there
> are any issues with the migration procedure.
Ton (nl) found a bug that prevented the migration of one string for most
of the locales. I just run the migration again for all languages, and it
should be fixed.

Example: https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/cs/rev/a701aa93c45f

Francesco

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Michal Stanke-2
Cool. Capitalization would definitely be a problem, thank you for that
point.

How does Fluent resolve references to nonexisting variants? If a refer
to /-brand-short-name[instrumental]/, when there is such variant
defined? If it goes for the default/ignores the variant selection, we
could have at least some strings ready.

Michal Stanke

Dne 15.2.2018 v 20:04 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] napsal(a):
> We left it out of the documentation, since the best example is
> branding, and that would have been confusing.
> http://projectfluent.org/fluent/guide/variants.html

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Michal Stanke-2
Maybe an extra question. Can we create our own strings/variable to use and
be sure that Pontoon won't remove them during the next sync of the file
where they are defined? In that way we could define our own variables with
capitalized or not capitalized "application Firefox". Then the change to
declined Firefox by simple find and replace would, which is still easier to
than changing all the strings manually. At least in Czech.

--
Michal Stanke

> Cool. Capitalization would definitely be a problem, thank you for that
> point.
>
> How does Fluent resolve references to nonexisting variants? If a refer to
> *-brand-short-name[instrumental]*, when there is such variant defined? If
> it goes for the default/ignores the variant selection, we could have at
> least some strings ready.
>
> Michal Stanke
>
> Dne 15.2.2018 v 20:04 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] napsal(a):
>
> We left it out of the documentation, since the best example is branding,
> and that would have been confusing.
> http://projectfluent.org/fluent/guide/variants.html

Re: Migration of Preferences strings to Fluent

Axel Hecht
Am 15.02.18 um 21:46 schrieb Michal Stanke:
> Maybe an extra question. Can we create our own strings/variable to use and
> be sure that Pontoon won't remove them during the next sync of the file
> where they are defined? In that way we could define our own variables with
> capitalized or not capitalized "application Firefox". Then the change to
> declined Firefox by simple find and replace would, which is still easier to
> than changing all the strings manually. At least in Czech.

All variants of terms are internal to your language, and should just go
in and out of pontoon w/out change.

Axel

Am 15.02.18 um 21:40 schrieb Michal Stanke:
> Cool. Capitalization would definitely be a problem, thank you for that
> point.
>
> How does Fluent resolve references to nonexisting variants? If a refer
> to /-brand-short-name[instrumental]/, when there is such variant
> defined? If it goes for the default/ignores the variant selection, we
> could have at least some strings ready.

If a variant doesn't exist, fluent falls back to the default variant,
the one with the *.

As flod mentioned, we're opening the conversation about declensions of
brand names again.

If you can implement the variations of the brand in ftl, you could
totally start doing so now, and then just adjust the brand to a richer
local experience later on.

Not sure if that's going to be straightforward, though.

Axel

Il 15/02/18 21.46, Michal Stanke ha scritto:
> Maybe an extra question. Can we create our own strings/variable to use
> and be sure that Pontoon won't remove them during the next sync of the
> file where they are defined? In that way we could define our own
> variables with capitalized or not capitalized "application Firefox".
> Then the change to declined Firefox by simple find and replace would,
> which is still easier to than changing all the strings manually. At
> least in Czech.
Answering here too, even if Axel's answer already include this information.

New variables will be removed by Pontoon, that doesn't change from the
past. But brand names are defined as "terms", not "messages", exactly
for that reason: locales can add attributes that are not available in
en-US without raising warnings, getting them removed by tools, etc. The
attribute marked as default (*) will be used as fallback if not available.

Francesco