Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Sailfish-4
REF:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features

[excerpt quote=\"
The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
(one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
\" /]
Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
several years back.

--
Sailfish

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

rebro
Am 30.11.2018 um 15:47 schrieb Sailfish:

> REF:
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
> \" /]
> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
> several years back.

Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
Updates: Improving user experience"
Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
experience" in this respect. :-(

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Big Al-3
On 11/30/18 2:01 PM, rebro wrote:

> Am 30.11.2018 um 15:47 schrieb Sailfish:
>> REF:
>> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
>> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
>> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
>> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
>> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
>> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
>> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
>> \" /]
>> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
>> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
>> several years back.
>>

> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
> Updates: Improving user experience"
> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
> experience" in this respect. :-(

I kinda like the new icons.

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

PietB-2
rebro wrote:
> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
> Updates: Improving user experience"
> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
> experience" in this respect. :-(

Cleaning/fixing the mess M$ caused surely improves user experience.

-p

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

The Real Bev
On 12/01/2018 05:55 AM, Big Al wrote:

> On 11/30/18 2:01 PM, rebro wrote:
>> Am 30.11.2018 um 15:47 schrieb Sailfish:
>>> REF:
>>> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>>>

>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
>>> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
>>> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
>>> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
>>> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
>>> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
>>> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
>>> \" /]
>>> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
>>> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
>>> several years back.
>>>

>> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
>> Updates: Improving user experience"
>> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
>> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
>> experience" in this respect. :-(
>
> I kinda like the new icons.

Am I the only one on earth who wants actual WORDS along with whatever
icons are used?

--
Cheers, Bev
   "I'm not proud.  We really haven't done everything we could to protect

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Jeff Layman
On 01/12/18 18:13, The Real Bev wrote:

>> I kinda like the new icons.
>
> Am I the only one on earth who wants actual WORDS along with whatever
> icons are used?

No! I hate icons.

If there is space, I use text only (as with the TB I am posting from).
If not, I use icons and text under. When icons alone are unavoidable, I
hope that tooltips are available.

--

Jeff

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 11/30/2018 6:47 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
> \" /]
> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
> several years back.

Interesting article. Thank you for sharing. I never liked the flat GUI
designs. I am old school and prefer the 3Dish GUI with shadows and all that.

BTW, why does your signature's link use a tinyurl.com when it goes to a
short https://projectit.com/ address? :/
--
"... human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies
send their old ladies." --Wilson and Holldobler
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )

On 12/1/2018 10:25 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> On 01/12/18 18:13, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>> I kinda like the new icons.
>>
>> Am I the only one on earth who wants actual WORDS along with whatever
>> icons are used?
>
> No! I hate icons.
>
> If there is space, I use text only (as with the TB I am posting from).
> If not, I use icons and text under. When icons alone are unavoidable, I
> hope that tooltips are available.

They should be options for user to have or have no icons, texts, etc.
--
"If they are offered winged ants, people will eat them." --African

On 12/1/2018 8:26 AM, PietB wrote:
> rebro wrote:
>> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
>> Updates: Improving user experience"
>> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
>> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
>> experience" in this respect. :-(
>
> Cleaning/fixing the mess M$ caused surely improves user experience.

MS (and many other companies) need to bring back their QA (hire me too
since I used to do SQA testings). :(

On 12/01/2018 10:25 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> On 01/12/18 18:13, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>> I kinda like the new icons.
>>
>> Am I the only one on earth who wants actual WORDS along with whatever
>> icons are used?
>
> No! I hate icons.
>
> If there is space, I use text only (as with the TB I am posting from).
> If not, I use icons and text under. When icons alone are unavoidable, I
> hope that tooltips are available.

When I see a picture I have to translate it into English before I can
understand it.  I can get used to 'greenblobwithwhitestreakontop' being
something I use all the time, but for the rest I have no idea at all
what those tiny pictures even ARE, much less mean.

On 12/01/2018 10:31 AM, Ant wrote:

> On 12/1/2018 8:26 AM, PietB wrote:
>> rebro wrote:
>>> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
>>> Updates: Improving user experience"
>>> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
>>> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
>>> experience" in this respect. :-(
>>
>> Cleaning/fixing the mess M$ caused surely improves user experience.
>
> MS (and many other companies) need to bring back their QA (hire me too
> since I used to do SQA testings). :(

Or just ask a friend or relative to play with it for a while.  I used to
be in QA too, but it was mostly just statistical crap, not actual
seek-and-destroy missions which would have been fun.

On 01/12/18 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Am I the only one on earth who wants actual WORDS along with whatever
>>> icons are used?
>>
>> No! I hate icons.
>>
>> If there is space, I use text only (as with the TB I am posting from).
>> If not, I use icons and text under. When icons alone are unavoidable, I
>> hope that tooltips are available.
>
> When I see a picture I have to translate it into English before I can
> understand it.  I can get used to 'greenblobwithwhitestreakontop' being
> something I use all the time, but for the rest I have no idea at all
> what those tiny pictures even ARE, much less mean.

Is it perhaps not a trifle ironic that the icon for "Help" in
LibreOffice 6 is a lifebuoy?! Maybe it's a last, desperate sign intended
to show that "I'm drowning in incomprehensible icons"...

--

Jeff

On 12/1/2018 10:49 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 12/01/2018 10:31 AM, Ant wrote:
>>>
>>> Cleaning/fixing the mess M$ caused surely improves user experience.
>>
>> MS (and many other companies) need to bring back their QA (hire me too
>> since I used to do SQA testings). :(
>
> Or just ask a friend or relative to play with it for a while.  I used to
> be in QA too, but it was mostly just statistical crap, not actual
> seek-and-destroy missions which would have been fun.

Yeah, I no longer jump right away unless I do a backup and be ready to
run into issues. As a SQA tester, I used to get paid to get the
(lat/new)est stuff! These days, I just use old working stable stuff like
64-bit W7 HPE SP1, Debian oldstable/Jessie v8, etc. :P
--
"I spent my first 4 years living in the tiny town of Snug, by the sea
near Hobart. Curious about animals, I would pick up ants in our backyard

Jeff Layman wrote:
> Is it perhaps not a trifle ironic that the icon for "Help" in
> LibreOffice 6 is a lifebuoy?!

It might be an idea to replace all lifebuoys by F1.

-p

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Balaco ocalaB
Em 30-11-2018 12:47, Sailfish escreveu:

> REF:
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
> \" /]
> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
> several years back.

After reading all the messages you posted, discussing the subjected, I
can only say:

LOL... Microsoft is really pathetic. The most basic things are still
hard to find or do not exit for users, in each "improving" change they
do. I am really happy to not use their OS anymore, for everything.

--
=
       quem você é?

  2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
  2.b. You may do it here:

  https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

On 12/02/2018 07:04 AM, PietB wrote:
> Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Is it perhaps not a trifle ironic that the icon for "Help" in
>> LibreOffice 6 is a lifebuoy?!
>
> It might be an idea to replace all lifebuoys by F1.

Or, in some cases, a cement block :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
   "The object in life is not to be on the side of the

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ant graced us with on 12/1/2018
10:30 AM:

> Interesting article. Thank you for sharing. I never liked the flat GUI
> designs. I am old school and prefer the 3Dish GUI with shadows and all
> that.
>
> BTW, why does your signature's link use a tinyurl.com when it goes to a
> short https://projectit.com/ address? :/

It is said that when asked to interpret some earlier jotted notes, Mark
Twain stated that when he first wrote them, only he and God knew what
they said and, regrettably, now ... only God knows.

In answer to your question, different circumstance but the same outcome.
All I know for certain is that I had rationalized a very sound reason
for doing it that way at the time. :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what rebro graced us with on 11/30/2018
11:01 AM:

> Am 30.11.2018 um 15:47 schrieb Sailfish:
>> REF:
>> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>>

>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still
>> manage to look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the
>> letter and the symbol from the icons, essentially creating two panels
>> (one for the letter and one for the symbol) that we can pair or
>> separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner director of design at
>> Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while still
>> emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
>> \" /]
>> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying
>> that the "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers
>> several years back.
>
> Thanks to your hint I've stumbled across the slogan "Microsoft Office
> Updates: Improving user experience"
> Skeuomorphic or not, I wish they had been considerably more careful with
> their Win 10 1809 version update instead just to improve our "user
> experience" in this respect. :-(

My primary system is Win7 desktop but I do have a Win10 laptop that I
upgraded to to get the larger screen resolution. I now use that laptop
even less than I did with my older Win7 laptop. Not only does it have a
fugly desktop aesthetic but the UI is all over the place in terms of
finding system-related programs, many requiring one suffer through twice
as many click in order to get to them.

I only use it for bedtime browsing or some seldom watched video streams.

--
Sailfish

Re: Microsoft’s new Office icons are part of a bigger design overhaul

GerardJan-8
Sailfish wrote:

> REF:
> https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features
>

> [excerpt quote=\"
> The new icons deemphasize the letter for each Office app, but still manage to
> look familiar. “Our design solution was to de-couple the letter and the symbol
> from the icons, essentially creating two panels (one for the letter and one for
> the symbol) that we can pair or separate,” explains Jon Friedman, partner
> director of design at Microsoft. “This allows us to maintain familiarity while
> still emphasizing simplicity when inside the app.”
> \" /]
> Admittedly, they're not yet again skeuomorphic but there's no denying that the
> "new modern" eschews the ugly flat design forced on consumers several years back.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18117580/microsoft-office-new-icons-2018-design-features

I still like /libre office/ better

--
Gerard-Jan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein

Fedora 30
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816