Message Headers

garth2007
How can I get messages on a day by day basis rather than as an allocation?

Re: Message Headers

Moz Champion (Dan)
garth wrote:
> How can I get messages on a day by day basis rather than as an allocation?

?? you download messages whenever you want.

Are you using an email digest? Perhaps thats the problem. Subscribe to
the newsgroup.

Re: Message Headers

garth2007
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> garth wrote:
>> How can I get messages on a day by day basis rather than as an
>> allocation?
>

> ?? you download messages whenever you want.
>

> Are you using an email digest? Perhaps thats the problem. Subscribe to
> the newsgroup.

Hi Dan

I want to be able to download by date (range).

Re: Message Headers

Moz Champion (Dan)
Garth wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> garth wrote:
>>> How can I get messages on a day by day basis rather than as an
>>> allocation?
>>

>> ?? you download messages whenever you want.
>>

>> Are you using an email digest? Perhaps thats the problem. Subscribe to
>> the newsgroup.
>
> Hi Dan
>
> I want to be able to download by date (range).

Why?
If reading online, all you do is download the headers anyway, the actual
message is fetched when you access it. Even for the largest groups,
getting all headers takes little time.

Re: Message Headers

Daniel-24
Garth wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> garth wrote:
>>> How can I get messages on a day by day basis rather than as an
>>> allocation?
>>

>> ?? you download messages whenever you want.
>>

>> Are you using an email digest? Perhaps thats the problem. Subscribe to
>> the newsgroup.
>
> Hi Dan
>
> I want to be able to download by date (range).

Garth, this is now Daniel (Dan is another Guy)

I download the messages from the Newsgroups whilst I am online, so that
I can read them whilst I'm off-line, if I want, because I use Dial-up
and only have one line.

To do this:-
1. set up the server I want to D/L from (Edit|Mail&Newsgroup Account
Settings|Add Account and set it up to the required server).

2. In the Mail and Newsgroup window, select the required server then
select Manage Newsgroup Selections, hit Refresh, then expand the list as
necessary and put a tick next to the required groups.

3. In the Mail and Newsgroup window, select File|Offline|Download/sync
now and you will download onto your hard drive the number of messages
selected at Edit|Mail&Newsgroup Account Settings|{Server Name}|Server
Settings - middle section.

This will save the messages in a file (named after the Newsgroup) on
your Hard drive, which will keep getting bigger and bigger until you
delete the file.

HTH

Daniel

Re: Message Headers

garth2007
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Garth wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>

>>> ?? you download messages whenever you want.
>>>

>>> Are you using an email digest? Perhaps thats the problem. Subscribe
>>> to the newsgroup.
>>
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> I want to be able to download by date (range).
>

> Why?

> If reading online, all you do is download the headers anyway, the actual
> message is fetched when you access it. Even for the largest groups,
> getting all headers takes little time.

I meant to download todays' messages and maybe the day before as well.

Re: Message Headers

Moz Champion (Dan)
Garth wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Garth wrote:

>>> Hi Dan
>>>
>>> I want to be able to download by date (range).
>>

>> Why?
>
>> If reading online, all you do is download the headers anyway, the
>> actual message is fetched when you access it. Even for the largest
>> groups, getting all headers takes little time.
>
> I meant to download todays' messages and maybe the day before as well.

When you first subscribe to a news group you set how many messages you
want to 'go back' you get those. They are the LAST 200 (or whatever
number you chose) posts, so now, when you go back to the newsgroup, you
get only the new posts.

Re: Message Headers

Daniel-24
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

> Garth wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> Why?
>>
>>> If reading online, all you do is download the headers anyway, the
>>> actual message is fetched when you access it. Even for the largest
>>> groups, getting all headers takes little time.
>>
>> I meant to download todays' messages and maybe the day before as well.
>
> When you first subscribe to a news group you set how many messages you
> want to 'go back' you get those. They are the LAST 200 (or whatever
> number you chose) posts, so now, when you go back to the newsgroup, you
> get only the new posts.

Garth would only get just the new posts if he had ticked the box to mark
all the other messages read, wouldn't he? If the box was not ticked, he
should get the new 50 (or whatever) messages plus 150 (200 - new) of the
other old messages!

At least that's how I think it works!

Daniel

Re: Message Headers

garth2007
Daniel wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Garth wrote:

>>> I meant to download todays' messages and maybe the day before as well.
>>
>> When you first subscribe to a news group you set how many messages you
>> want to 'go back' you get those. They are the LAST 200 (or whatever
>> number you chose) posts, so now, when you go back to the newsgroup,
>> you get only the new posts.
>
> Garth would only get just the new posts if he had ticked the box to mark
> all the other messages read, wouldn't he? If the box was not ticked, he
> should get the new 50 (or whatever) messages plus 150 (200 - new) of the
> other old messages!
>
> At least that's how I think it works!
>
> Daniel

I just want it to be like getting the daily newspaper.

Re: Message Headers

The Real Bev
Garth wrote:

> I just want it to be like getting the daily newspaper.

I guess everybody else is too polite to say it.

Plonk.

Re: Message Headers

Leonidas Jones
The Real Bev wrote:
> Garth wrote:
>
>> I just want it to be like getting the daily newspaper.
>
> I guess everybody else is too polite to say it.
>
> Plonk.

I'm getting close.

Lee

Re: Message Headers

garth2007
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Garth wrote:
>>
>>> I just want it to be like getting the daily newspaper.
>>
>> I guess everybody else is too polite to say it.
>>
>> Plonk.
>>

> I'm getting close.
>
> Lee

Have a joke and a nice day.

Re: Message Headers

The Real Bev
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Garth wrote:
>>
>>> I just want it to be like getting the daily newspaper.
>>
>> I guess everybody else is too polite to say it.
>>
>> Plonk.
>
> I'm getting close.

Working on sainthood, are you?  Personally, I find a little demonic
possession on Hallowe'en refreshing :-)