Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Sylvestre Ledru
Hello,

Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
Tuesday),
we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
in release).
This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.

I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
with uplift requests.

Sylvestre

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Tanvi Vyas-2
What does this mean for string freeze?

> On Oct 28, 2015, at 1:10 PM, Sylvestre Ledru <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
> Tuesday),
> we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
> As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
> in release).
> This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.
>
> I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
> with uplift requests.
>
> Sylvestre

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Ryan VanderMeulen
On 10/28/2015 4:10 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
> Tuesday),
> we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
> As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
> in release).
> This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.
>
> I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
> with uplift requests.
>
> Sylvestre

What does this mean for string freeze?

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Jonas Sicking-2
Please make sure to coordinate with the FirefoxOS release team since
Gecko 44 is the release that will be used for FirefoxOS 2.5.

/ Jonas

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Sylvestre Ledru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
> Tuesday),
> we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
> As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
> in release).
> This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.
>
> I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
> with uplift requests.
>
> Sylvestre

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Sylvestre Ledru-2
Le 28/10/2015 23:11, Ryan VanderMeulen a écrit :

> On 10/28/2015 4:10 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
>> Tuesday),
>> we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
>> As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
>> in release).
>> This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.
>>
>> I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
>> with uplift requests.
>>
>> Sylvestre
>>

> What does this mean for string freeze?
If l10n is ok with the following proposition, I am happy approving l10n changes until the regular date (next Monday).

Thanks,
Sylvestre

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Axel Hecht
On 10/29/15 11:24 AM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

> Le 28/10/2015 23:11, Ryan VanderMeulen a écrit :
>> On 10/28/2015 4:10 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Because we want to synchronize the release of 42 and 44 devedition (next
>>> Tuesday),
>>> we are planning to perform the merge tomorrow, Thursday.
>>> As a consequence, nightly = 45, aurora = 44 and beta = 43 (42 is already
>>> in release).
>>> This will give us enough time to validate the first aurora build.
>>>
>>> I apologize for the very late notice. Of course, we will be friendly
>>> with uplift requests.
>>>
>>> Sylvestre
>>>

>> What does this mean for string freeze?
> If l10n is ok with the following proposition, I am happy approving l10n changes until the regular date (next Monday).

I think this largely depends on what we want to ship on Tuesday. The
last bits of strings might contain strings that are rushed, in patches
that are rushed, and could add to churn and instability.

I guess it's unrealistic to declare string freeze 90% earlier than folks
assumed.

Thus my proposal would be to assess patches by their risk and readiness,
more than by having strings or not.

Axel

Re: Merge moved to Thursday 29th

Robert Kaiser
Axel Hecht schrieb:
> I think this largely depends on what we want to ship on Tuesday.

 From what I understand, especially since we do some marketing around
it, we want to ship a Developer Edition on Tuesday that is as high in
quality and stability as we possibly can have for the first build to go
live on that channel.

KaiRo